I think I blew it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

earlybird

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are my chances of getting into a medical school with a 3.0 in both my sciences and non sciences course. plus my science gpa only reached this much because of orgo 2, biochem, physics, and other 300 level courses. prior to that I had a 2.3 sci gpa. I want to apply next spring. Do I have any shot. I also took the mcat last summer and got 39 so it's not like I don't know the material. I have been trying to see how I can bring my gpa up, but i can only stay in school so long.

Members don't see this ad.

You have a chance - especially with that MCAT score. IIWU, I'd find the easiest classes in my school (science and non-science) and take as many of them as possible between now and next spring. Sit down and calculate how many As it would take to bring your GPA up to at least a 3.3 or so. It's definitely possible - but it'll take a lot of work. If you're confident in your science abilities, take primarily science classes. That way, you'll raise both your non and your sci gpas simultaneously.

earlybird said:
what are my chances of getting into a medical school with a 3.0 in both my sciences and non sciences course. plus my science gpa only reached this much because of orgo 2, biochem, physics, and other 300 level courses. prior to that I had a 2.3 sci gpa. I want to apply next spring. Do I have any shot. I also took the mcat last summer and got 39 so it's not like I don't know the material. I have been trying to see how I can bring my gpa up, but i can only stay in school so long.
Yeah what Rafa said.

But also remember that it isn't all about the numbers. What are you ECs like? How much clinical experience do you have? What state are you a legal resident of? :laugh: Have you researched? etc.

I think you can totally do it. That MCAT score shows that you're smart and you know your stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
You do have an amazing MCAT score. Unfortunately for you, medical schools do look at the whole package, not just the MCAT. You can't do really poorly in your college classes for several years, nail one test, and expect to have medical schools clamoring for you. That being said, if you do take extra classes (perhaps a post bacc or a masters program), you might be able to get accepted to a medical school. If you had a 3.6 or a 3.7 with that MCAT I would say you had a good chance at any top 20 school. However, with a 3.1 or a 3.2, you may have to shoot lower.

I don't have much more to add but I wanted to let you know you can do it! :)

Your MCAT score is to die for. Whatever you do, do it before it expires!!!

I suggest taking classes to up your science GPA. Take a year off and just take a bunch of courses. Make sure everything else is good (ECs, shadowing, clinical experience etc). Then apply far and wide. You'll probably get quite a few acceptances. No guarantees of top schools though.

Thanks you guys I really needed this. I have been volunteering for while and did one research. another problem for me is that I never took my time to speak to my instructors so I don't know which instructors can give me a letter of recommandetion. I have been thinking about a post bac and grad school. plus I live in ny and would like to state here. the schools closest to me are all in the top 20. just my :luck:

Apply to Downstate. They should take you.

Remember: even if your professor letters are a bit impersonal, you can make up for it if you can get awesome LOR from where you volunteer.

You have a really high MCAT score.
Apply to as many schools as possible. you should at least get one or two acceptances.

the mcat shows you gots the brains, but the gpa shows that you might not haves da heart.

it sounds like you've done a decent amount of ec's, it might be worth it to apply (to the appropriate schools of course) and you might have a chance somewhere.

NonTradMed said:
Your MCAT score is to die for. Whatever you do, do it before it expires!!!
I suggest taking classes to up your science GPA. Take a year off and just take a bunch of courses. Make sure everything else is good (ECs, shadowing, clinical experience etc). Then apply far and wide. You'll probably get quite a few acceptances. No guarantees of top schools though.

When does an MCAT score expire?

Thanks,
Monette

You might try to redeem yourself with something like the Georgetown SMP. Show that you can handle med school material and I think you could have a decent shot at MD schools not to mention bag some DO schools for sure.

Monette said:

Thanks,
Monette

schools usually stop taking an MCAT score if it's more than 3 yrs old.
depends on each school though.

he's already showed an upward trend in his upper level science courses, with that MCAT score apply to 25 schools and you'll get a handful of acceptances i think

Monette said:

Thanks,
Monette

I think for this year's cycle the oldest you can use is from 2003, but it may depend on schools

apply to chicagomed. they are very forgiving.
-mota