I think I don't want to go to med school anymore... How to tell my parents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WE were all helping you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My initial thoughts.

Figure out why you've done bad in chem - buy a self teaching workbook and go through it and re take the courses.

At the same time, part of me says if you failed it, retook, still got a C, then took Chem 2 and have a D-F average, you may not be very motivated. You can do well. I think most doctors don't give a **** about Chem either, but its just something you have to do if you want to get there.
A good background in chemistry makes understanding a lot of the material on Step 1 easier- you can sort of reason things out based on chemistry knowledge. But in practice, it's something you'll pretty much never worry about.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sorry guys, I didn't mean it. I only have myself to blame, I started smoking weed at the beginning of the semester and everything's been downhill since, hard to focus, feeling less motivated, feel lazier, etc. I got in a rut and felt like I had others to blame, sorry.

tell them you're gonna be an engineer instead.

Well, I'm a sophomore. I took chem 1, failed, took it again, got a C. I'ma about to finish Chem 2, test grades so far are D,D, F, so there's a 99% chance I won't get in anyways. Honest answer, I hate chem. I don't know if I hate the professor, because he just shows us formulae and how to put numbers into a calculator. And if I can't handle chem, how am I going to handle medical school. My parents are disillusioned with me going to med school so my dad can quit his job. As if me going is like winning the lottery. And to be honest, the only little motivation I have left is just the money doctors make, and I don't want to disrespect such a great profession and go into JUST for the money. Now, I'm a bio major, and I can't see myself doing any other major, but to be honest, it's kind of useless. I might consider grad school, but I don't know yet. My main concern now, is breaking the news to my parents. How would you handle it?

You should tell your dad to stop being lazy and don't think of his kids as his future social security.

Reactions: 1 users
No, I wasn't high lol.

But worse case scenario, I apply DO. If I don't get in, then I'll stick with a job in the bio field.

Well, I'm a sophomore. I took chem 1, failed, took it again, got a C. I'ma about to finish Chem 2, test grades so far are D,D, F, so there's a 99% chance I won't get in anyways. Honest answer, I hate chem. I don't know if I hate the professor, because he just shows us formulae and how to put numbers into a calculator. And if I can't handle chem, how am I going to handle medical school. My parents are disillusioned with me going to med school so my dad can quit his job. As if me going is like winning the lottery. And to be honest, the only little motivation I have left is just the money doctors make, and I don't want to disrespect such a great profession and go into JUST for the money. Now, I'm a bio major, and I can't see myself doing any other major, but to be honest, it's kind of useless. I might consider grad school, but I don't know yet. My main concern now, is breaking the news to my parents. How would you handle it?
I passed. To all those who made it sound like I was going no where in life... Suck it.
I'm sorry guys, I didn't mean it. I only have myself to blame, I started smoking weed at the beginning of the semester and everything's been downhill since, hard to focus, feeling less motivated, feel lazier, etc. I got in a rut and felt like I had others to blame, sorry.
No, I wasn't high lol.

But worse case scenario, I apply DO. If I don't get in, then I'll stick with a job in the bio field.
So it told them... Did not go well.

:confused::confused: well i'm completely lost in this conversation since it sounds like you're talking to yourself the whole time. Could you clarify what exactly are your concerns?

Note doesn't have to be the OP, it could be anyone following the conversation.

Reactions: 1 user