I think I don't want to go to med school anymore... How to tell my parents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jorge921995

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm a sophomore. I took chem 1, failed, took it again, got a C. I'ma about to finish Chem 2, test grades so far are D,D, F, so there's a 99% chance I won't get in anyways. Honest answer, I hate chem. I don't know if I hate the professor, because he just shows us formulae and how to put numbers into a calculator. And if I can't handle chem, how am I going to handle medical school. My parents are disillusioned with me going to med school so my dad can quit his job. As if me going is like winning the lottery. And to be honest, the only little motivation I have left is just the money doctors make, and I don't want to disrespect such a great profession and go into JUST for the money. Now, I'm a bio major, and I can't see myself doing any other major, but to be honest, it's kind of useless. I might consider grad school, but I don't know yet. My main concern now, is breaking the news to my parents. How would you handle it?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
"I've decided I am no longer interested in attending medical school. I can't see myself pursuing any major other than biology, so I will explore other careers in this field."

Reactions: 7 users
Sit them down face to face and have an adult conversation. Explain your position but also present an actual plan to succeed. This means going to the career center of your school and talking to an officer about possible career paths that work for you. If you want to go to grad school, you will need research experience and a solid GPA. Then change to a major that you will succeed. You are in charge of your future trajectory (for the most part), and if you aren't invested in succeeding, you will fail. Make sure your parents understand that.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well the quickest way to explain is say that you'll be broker for longer as a doctor, so it's not like they'll be winning the lottery.

If money is all they care about they'd be better off pressuring you to go info finance.

Also plenty of jobs in the healthcare industry that pay very well outside doctor. CRNA/NP/and PA all make plenty and have way less loans, or you could work for a healthcare software company like EPIC, a healthcare consulting firm like Triage, or go into research (not the best for career stability though).

Your dad quit his job? That's intense.

Well if your primary motivation is money, you'll be doing other aspiring doctors, future patients, and yourself a big favor by stepping away now.

Just explain to them that you honestly don't want to pursue it and why. Most parents care for their children's happiness enough to be understanding of decisions like this. However, have some thoughtful alternatives in your head before breaking the news just to reassure them that you're not jumping ship without a Plan B.

P.S. I, too, want to care for my parents and see them retire once I'm earning money, but that's not why I chose this path. You can do that part with pretty much any decent career.

Send them a cryptic text telling them to meet you in the park. When they're there, send them a text to look behind the garbage can for the note you left. In that note, have directions to the nearest Hallmark store where you've left detailed instructions on how to find the card you left this note: "I'm not going to med school and I don't know what else to do. I feel like I'm letting you down, and that breaks my heart."

If that doesn't work, subsequently try this: The next time you see them: "Dad, mom, I've decided not to go to medical school because I don't want to be a doctor. I'm going to spend the next couple of years finding my passion and how to pursue it."

Reactions: 8 users
If you enjoy studying biology, maybe you are just demotivated from pursuing medicine right now because of your chemistry marks. You are going to have to take some chemistry courses for your major anyway, so perhaps you should wait before making a decision.

Reactions: 1 users
I would suggest studying for the GRE early and taking it when you feel ready that you can score well. Go to the guidance advisor of your school and discuss about where you should apply for grad school. It really doesn't seem to me that by junior year, you would be a ready traditional applicant for medical school so to prevent you and your parents the heartache of their dear child wasting years finding a job at starbucks, you can buy time by going to grad school. Why? Well you done screwed so far, but if you handle your bio classes well and then head to grad school and are happy, you won't be wasting years but spending them wisely. Who knows, maybe you might have that gpa up by senior year undergrad so that later down in grad school, you can choose to go into medicine as opposed to being pushed into it. You don't need to tell your parents already about your decision, but you need to have them in the same bandwagon as you. Funny thing about your parents is they are the complete opposite of mine. They really want me to do grad school as opposed to medical school because I keep telling them how financially draining medical school will be for me and that there may not be any remuneration of any kind until they are REALLY old (don't even know how things will be 5-10 years down the road for them, which they keep reminding me of). The best part of grad school is if you find a funded PhD position, you don't even have to pay for school, you get paid to go to school! There are certainly programs geared to where you can get your PhD and basically be guaranteed an amazing salary. If you don't believe me, look up government jobs and you can seriously convince your parents that medicine may not be such a financially fit place for many. The many reasons why PhD gets a bad rep is because many ppl don't want to go outside of academia and in these days, tenure is really hard to get. However, if you go company or outside, you can get great offers (esp., if you do a field where few ppl go into and there is high demand). Trust me, with even a 100k salary, you can tell your dad to quit his job and have an amazing home to support your aging parents. Nothing wrong with that, and you only need so much money to be happy, right?

Have you considered NP or PA school instead? There are many other careers a biology degree can open up. Are you passionate about medicine? If not, look into fields that your biology degree will help in (forensics, lab research, agriculture, the EPA).

Why commit yourself to a lifetime of doing something you don't want to do? One day your parents will be dead. You have to live your life for you.

"Follow your bliss." - Joseph Campbell

And if medicine is your bliss, grades won't stand in the way.

Send your parents an example of a med school cost of attendance budget sheet.

If you get into med school, your dad won't able to quit his job until you are in your mid-late 40s. You're better off in finance if they want you to support them

Well, I'm a sophomore. I took chem 1, failed, took it again, got a C. I'ma about to finish Chem 2, test grades so far are D,D, F, so there's a 99% chance I won't get in anyways. Honest answer, I hate chem. I don't know if I hate the professor, because he just shows us formulae and how to put numbers into a calculator. And if I can't handle chem, how am I going to handle medical school. My parents are disillusioned with me going to med school so my dad can quit his job. As if me going is like winning the lottery. And to be honest, the only little motivation I have left is just the money doctors make, and I don't want to disrespect such a great profession and go into JUST for the money. Now, I'm a bio major, and I can't see myself doing any other major, but to be honest, it's kind of useless. I might consider grad school, but I don't know yet. My main concern now, is breaking the news to my parents. How would you handle it?
Chemistry is very different than medical school, which in turn is very different than what life as an attending is like. Have you done much shadowing or volunteering? Can you see yourself practicing medicine? If you want to become a doctor, the doors will not close because you did poorly in chemistry. Don't make excuses for your poor performance and figure out how to improve and go from there. Perhaps take some time to explore other fields and consider doing a post-bac later on should you decide that medicine is still right for you.

Now, if you don't think you'll be happy pursuing medicine, then pursue something else! You need to do what will make you happy. You are the one living your life, not your parents or your friends.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go with the reverse psychology.

"Mom and Dad, I'm not going to medical school. While I am very drawn to committing my entire life to something I am not the least bit interested in, my desire to spite you both is even stronger."

Reactions: 10 users
Well, just looking at the time scale of things....

2 years college + 4 years med school + 3-7 years residency + 1-3 (?) years paying off loans

It'll at least be a decade from now before you have any real earning potential.
Add in an extra 2 years if you need to do an SMP/postbac which might also come with additional debt.
Add in an extra 1-2 years if you have to reapply . . .
Add in an extra year or two if you decide to do a gap year to further build your app (common).

If your parents need you to support their retirement earlier, medicine is not the way to go. At least the MD/DO route.

Medical school will always be around if you decide to go back to it in the future, when you have a decent amount of savings.
Your parents will not always be around...

-----
I'd like to see your parents complain when they have a nice house and car funded by their dearest "disappointment".

With your mouth

I'd add that you should make sure that you don't want to go to med school for the right reasons! Not going because you don't want to be a doctor is about as good a reason as you can have, but not going because you don't like college chemistry is not. Nobody likes college chemistry.

I'd add that you should make sure that you don't want to go to med school for the right reasons! Not going because you don't want to be a doctor is about as good a reason as you can have, but not going because you don't like college chemistry is not. Nobody likes college chemistry.

Except those pesky chem majors

With a GPA of about 1.0 in the sciences thus far, medical school might not be a realistic aspiration. What kind of work do you like? The career office at your school may have a career aptitude exam you can take to help you find something that you will find engaging.

"But son, you're giving up your dream!"

"No, dad. I'm giving up your dream."

Reactions: 7 users
Hey! I'm a chemistry (double) major. Also a chemistry TA. But nobody likes general/organic chemistry because they double as weed out classes...you only get to the fun stuff in the upper division classes, even if they're harder. Loved inorganic. Loved organic II. P-Chem can go to Hell though.

Im a bio major and I like chem:D

Honestly for chem classes since I can reason things out I get a greater sense of satisfaction than in Bio where it seems I'm just memorizing random stuff.

But thankfully my upper division bios are trending towards more conceptual understanding rather than just rote memorization so thats a plus!

Hey! I'm a chemistry (double) major. Also a chemistry TA. But nobody likes general/organic chemistry because they double as weed out classes...you only get to the fun stuff in the upper division classes, even if they're harder. Loved inorganic. Loved organic II. P-Chem can go to Hell though.

Haha I was a biochem (double) major so I get what you mean. Never took gen chem in college but really liked ochem - though that may just have been since I had an awesome prof. Quantum chem/mechanics was actually pretty fun for me :)

Haha I was a biochem (double) major so I get what you mean. Never took gen chem in college but really liked ochem - though that may just have been since I had an awesome prof. Quantum chem/mechanics was actually pretty fun for me :)
I reckon your professor wasn't an insane person who deducted 5% off your entire grade if you fell asleep in class.

You should figure out if you want to go into medicine first. Shadow physicians and try getting some clinical exposure to see if you like what you see and can imagine yourself doing that as a career. If you don't really like it, then you can explore other career options. Look for internships that seem interesting to you. You could consider research, grad school, or doing something public health related.

If you do like what you see from shadowing, then find medical student/physician mentors and meet with your academic advisor. You'll need to put together a concrete plan and approximate timeline. You'll also need to figure out how to do better academically, whether it's getting tutoring, attending more office hours, forming study groups, etc. Choose medicine because you like the field and profession, not for the money. You'll be investing a lot of time and money (in loans) before you'll actually be able to make money.

I reckon your professor wasn't an insane person who deducted 5% off your entire grade if you fell asleep in class.

lol no. He did have a 'resurrection' policy which replaced your final exam grade with any low exams from the term. Saved me during ochem 1

Don't get too discouraged. If you're interested in DO programs those schools are very forgiving with poor grades early on if you can bring it up your grades and recover later. I'm a current student now and we use the principles of chemistry fairly often so it would be good to consider what you can do to do better in it. But I have a lot of classmates that struggled early on with chemistry and are doing better in school now.

However, understand that it will significantly harder in med school. I had a really good GPA in undergrad, but honestly now I'm kinda struggling to get by and I had to repeat the first year of school because I performed poorly last year, so unfortunately its only going to keep getting harder.

But it is definitely doable for anyone if they put their mind to it and are willing to put in the work. For now I would advise that you focus more on whether or not this is what you want to do then the required med school classes. See if you can volunteer at a hospital or better yet work as a Scribe in an ER. I was in a similar crossroads to you where I was struggling with whether or not medicine was what I wanted to do and being a scribe more than anything convinced me that I wanted to go into medicine. Keep your head up. Feel free to message me if you have questions.

@jorge921995 If you finished freshman year with a 2.45 and first semester of your sophomore year you failed General Chemistry I and second semester you're going to fail General Chemistry II then I honestly don't understand why people are still pushing you to continue pursuing medical school. You should honestly cut off your losses right now and change majors, it honestly looks like you won't be able to graduate in four years with a degree in biology and at this rate your transcripts are going to show your sGPA is so dismal that it's going to require you to go back to school anyway in order to do grade replacement in order qualify for a masters in science in certain areas.

Talk to your guidance counselor and honestly listen to everything they have to say. I've read your thread history and honestly think that if you continue with the Biology degree you're going to be in trouble when you have to take Organic and Biochemistry combined with a full course load where you can't take Ecology, Tropical Botany, or Intro to Psych/France.

Well the quickest way to explain is say that you'll be broker for longer as a doctor, so it's not like they'll be winning the lottery.

If money is all they care about they'd be better off pressuring you to go info finance.

Also plenty of jobs in the healthcare industry that pay very well outside doctor. CRNA/NP/and PA all make plenty and have way less loans, or you could work for a healthcare software company like EPIC, a healthcare consulting firm like Triage, or go into research (not the best for career stability though).

Broker?? More broke? ;) ;)

Was in your shoes.

Failed chem 2, passed with B on 2nd try. Failed ochem 1, passed with C on 2nd try, passed ochem 2 with C 1st try. I know, they're **** grades compared to everyone on here but hey I passed.

Parents pushed me into med.

Here's the thing. Chem is a hard subject in general. To do well, you need to practice it like math, lots of repetition with practice problems, and you need to learn how to self teach yourself the material instead of staring at powerpoints and hoping it'll make sense. Bad professors are a large part of the reason. But if you don't have a choice professor wise, you need to self-teach yourself the material and use all available resources. I've been in your shoes. I tutor chem students currently and the biggest issue is that they don't come in for help or know how to study until its too late. I know how humiliating and depressing it is to fail chem and ochem. But you need to swallow it and work your ass off like you've never done before. Use that anger to light a fire under your ass. You need to change your study tactics okay?

Current progress may or may not dictate future academic success. Yes you're bad at chem. Doesn't mean a career in the health field is completely out of the question for you. You need to shadow. You need to get out there and work and be aggressive at pursuing opportunities where you'll get to observe different careers that YOU are interested in, not your parents. Let me repeat that again, there will come a point (after you graduate and hit rock bottom) that you realize you are in charge of your life and have the power to do what you love and make a living from it, not your parents. I need to you get rid of the notion that listening to your parents will bring you success. I lived through the same ****. They care about you tremendously but they simply don't know your strengths and weaknesses and what you want from life.

By the time you realize a large part of your life is dictated by the decisions you make, and your parents are just small voices that are there to guide you, it will be too late to make a backup plan for the career you want.

To recap:

1) Find a new way to study. Go in for help. Self-teach yourself the material. Do lots of practice problems, and more importantly summarize the steps you need to do for each type of problem. Look at the info they give you in the problem. Chem isn't going away and you changing majors to get out of taking chem isn't an option. You need to face it head on and beat it to a pulp.

2) Stop listening to your parents. They mean well but they simply don't know any better. Its not a matter of if you'll question their rules, its a matter of when. I'd rather you sit down and have the argument with them right now then keep pushing it back til after you graduate and realize you still want to become a doctor and have to spend another 2-3 years on post-bac/masters/reapplying. So yes, I want you to argue with them. I want you to communicate with them about how frustrated you feel and how they need to be receptive to other careers besides MD. Doesn't mean you don't want to become an MD. Just means you'll have the freedom to really go for what you want instead of trying to believe something they force fed down your throat since an early age.

3) Find your motivation. Go shadow. Go volunteer at an ER. You can never run from wanting to become a doctor. You might find yourself switching professions (opto, pharm, RN, PA) but after you shadow those careers, you'll realize that it doesn't give you the same type of rush that shadowing whatever you knew you wanted to do will. If you have exposure to what you want to do, you'll fight tooth and nail to get there. From what I can tell, you' havn't seen what you want to do yet. Lack of motivation + frustration with grades = no clear goal and no push.

I have a friend who just graduated last year and is working as an electrical engineer. Hated physics all through college. Loves being an engineer. Don't let chemistry be the reason that you quit wanting to be a doctor.

Hated gen Chem, loved orgo, avoided p-Chem like the plague. Hated analytical.

Hated gen Chem, loved orgo, avoided p-Chem like the plague. Hated analytical.
I love organic chemistry because it's very diagnostic in nature--I suspect this is why medical schools require it. It's not just memorization. You get a reactant, some reactant conditions, and you have to use your own knowledge to piece together the information you have, what might be superfluous, and what might be let out in order to figure out what the likely product is. Just like diagnosing a patient.

I'm not a huge physics guy so I hated P-Chem. I managed to swing an A- in it but at great cost. The professor was a highly esteemed researcher at my school who has an insane amount of publications and awards, but who could clearly not care less about teaching. For the exams, he would cut questions out of some book written 50 years ago, glue them to a piece of notebook paper, photocopy it and hand it to us.

@bananafish94 P-chem can very much be considered "diagnostic" in nature as Organic Chemistry. Eletron photon behaviors of atoms and heat emission relationships explain and characterize a lot of phenomenon of atoms as they occur in nature and how we perform many techniques in biochemistry e.g. spectroscopy to assess and diagnose certain conditions. Sounds like a stretch? Perhaps. However, I feel like you suffer more from having a hard professor than disliking the intrinsic subject.

@Citygirl44 How can it just be Chemistry that's holding him back. He has a 2.45 his freshman year with no Chemistry. His sophomore year he starts to take Chemistry. The 2.45 in your first year, it's bad but it's ok. The sophomore year double fails on top of that? That's really bad. The slam on his parents when he is the one failing is the biggest red flag of all. I wouldn't want this guy to be my classmate, coworker, supervisor, or my trainee. I'm frankly concerned about him graduating into a state of destitution and am skeptical about his ability to gain entrance into any institution, much less one of the most premier institutions in the U.S. If you can't find a viable education or job after college it's the job markets fault and we're all victims of poor circumstances. Right?

I love how everyone says go PA/CRNA because OP has bad Chem grades. You guys know that PA schools place even more emphasis on undergrad grades, right? Med school has the MCAT for redemption. PA school has the GRE, but no one cares about it and it won't bail you out of a low gpa. The MCAT can do that to a degree. But not to a degree that would help OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@bananafish94 P-chem can very much be considered "diagnostic" in nature as Organic Chemistry. Eletron photon behaviors of atoms and heat emission relationships explain and characterize a lot of phenomenon of atoms as they occur in nature and how we perform many techniques in biochemistry e.g. spectroscopy to assess and diagnose certain conditions. Sounds like a stretch? Perhaps. However, I feel like you suffer more from having a hard professor than disliking the intrinsic subject.

@Citygirl44 How can it just be Chemistry that's holding him back. He has a 2.45 his freshman year with no Chemistry. His sophomore year he starts to take Chemistry. The 2.45 in your first year, it's bad but it's ok. The sophomore year double fails on top of that? That's really bad. The slam on his parents when he is the one failing is the biggest red flag of all. I wouldn't want this guy to be my classmate, coworker, supervisor, or my trainee. I'm frankly concerned about him graduating into a state of destitution and am skeptical about his ability to gain entrance into any institution, much less one of the most premier institutions in the U.S. If you can't find a viable education or job after college it's the job markets fault and we're all victims of poor circumstances. Right?
Spectroscopy is the only part I liked, but we spent most of the time doing quantum, which I despise.

Spectroscopy is the only part I liked, but we spent most of the time doing quantum, which I despise.

I sat in some of the lectures because I was going to be a Biochemistry major before I got offered by the head chair of another department to change my major because they got a major STEM injection by the NSF. It definitely didn't seem like a fun class by any measure once you went into the nitty gritty and escaped the broad conceptual fields which was always an issue with Chemistry courses. They lectured on the broad concepts, but always tested you on details.

I love how everyone says go PA/CRNA because OP has bad Chem grades. You guys know that PA schools place even more emphasis on undergrad grades, right? Med school has the MCAT for redemption. PA school has the GRE, but no one cares about it and it won't bail you out of a low gpa. The MCAT can do that to a degree. But not to a degree that would help OP.

I don't know if this is a reliable source (first google result) but it says the average GPA for PA school is 3.56: http://www.thepalife.com/who-gets-in/

That is significantly lower than med school matriculants.

There's truth to it. The PA schools I was looking at skewed a little higher. Although now that I think about it, everyone I know who went PA went out of state...

Maybe it was just how anal I was since I was originally pre-pa. Regardless, PA is out of the question with OP's grades.

My initial thoughts.

Figure out why you've done bad in chem - buy a self teaching workbook and go through it and re take the courses.

At the same time, part of me says if you failed it, retook, still got a C, then took Chem 2 and have a D-F average, you may not be very motivated. You can do well. I think most doctors don't give a **** about Chem either, but its just something you have to do if you want to get there.

Last edited:
My parents are disillusioned with me going to med school so my dad can quit his job.
I'm sorry for tis. Maybe others did not catch the "why" part of the money.

If you are an 18 year old, it's hard to give your parents news they don't want. The easiest way might be to just tell them, "Med school is largely based on chemistry and I can't seem to get anything better than a C no matter what I do; office hours, TAs, tutoring... I don't think med school is for me."

And then, you might want to think of getting them to a financial planner so they can learn to be self-sufficient themselves without relying on you.

At the same time, part of me says if you failed it, retook, still got a C, then took Chem 2 and have a D-F average, you may not be very motivated. You can do well. I think most doctors don't give a **** about Chem either, but its just something you have to do if you want to get there.
Professors are the ones who will be teaching you a great deal of things during your four years of medical school. Even if an admission's committee member is a physician they are looking for students who will be able to handle the first two years of basic sciences in medical school. You don't need to like or love Chemistry. You could even hate the subject and still perform well if you understand how to prepare for the test. This is an uphill battle and not for someone who throws the blame game on someone else. You have to take all the scruples in stride and excel. If you're getting knocked down by something then you need to get up and ask yourself why you got knocked down and start the repair process. Repairing a bad learning mechanism takes time, dedication, and effort. If he wants to become a doctor he's going to start paying for it in literal $$$. I wasn't mixing around words when I said that a major concern of mine was how bad this kid's proverbial student debt wallet will be broken if he listens to all this passing advice to keep going onward.
Sardinia said:
"I'm frankly concerned about him graduating into a state of destitution and am skeptical about his ability to gain entrance into any institution, much less one of the most premier institutions in the U.S. If you can't find a viable education or job after college it's the job markets fault and we're all victims of poor circumstances. Right?"
ProspectiveKidd said:
To those recommending PA...you still need awesome grades and over 2000 hours (minimum) of paid clinical experience.
This is false on so many levels that I can begin listing to you all the schools from CASPA that require under 2000 hours of paid clinical experience. One of the newly opened schools that are opening up in NY/NJ area is York College which only requires 500 hours of clinical experience (400 of which is required at the time of CASPA application). Monmouth University's PA program requires 200 of shadowing/clinical experience. None of these specify that these experiences must be paid nor are there stipulations that such a capacity needs to be fulfilled. Are there some schools that require over 2000 hours? I haven't seen them yet. However, I won't make a statement like PA schools et al. only require 500 or under 500 hours of clinical experience when I haven't extensively gone through the list of all schools.
I'm sorry for tis. Maybe others did not catch the "why" part of the money. If you are an 18 year old, it's hard to give your parents news they don't want. The easiest way might be to just tell them, "Med school is largely based on chemistry and I can't seem to get anything better than a C no matter what I do; office hours, TAs, tutoring... I don't think med school is for me." And then, you might want to think of getting them to a financial planner so they can learn to be self-sufficient themselves without relying on you.
I agree. However, a large part of insecurity comes from not performing. There are far more technical fields than pre-med that require students to actually create a product every 2-3 days whether it be to actually stitch and sew a dress (fashion design) or to write a functional program that gets checked by an automated system (computer science). These fields will fail you if you give them rags and pretend it's a designed dress or if you screw up an opening phrase then you completely fail the exam when you have to submit 3 processes in java to perform a prompt and you may screw up something so minor despite parsing everything else correctly.

Perhaps I'm biased, in that I'm tutoring a first year student who hasn't even purchased his biology textbook and asked me for my pdf copy that I literally found the day I was hired to tutor him and his Bio II final is in two weeks. And his midterm scores are a C and a D. And honestly what's even more sad is that he can still pass this class with a C if he gets a B on his final based on the curve values he gave me from the professor in class. It's absurd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Professors are the ones who will be teaching you a great deal of things during your four years of medical school. Even if an admission's committee member is a physician they are looking for students who will be able to handle the first two years of basic sciences in medical school. You don't need to like or love Chemistry. You could even hate the subject and still perform well if you understand how to prepare for the test. This is an uphill battle and not for someone who throws the blame game on someone else. You have to take all the scruples in stride and excel. If you're getting knocked down by something then you need to get up and ask yourself why you got knocked down and start the repair process. Repairing a bad learning mechanism takes time, dedication, and effort. If he wants to become a doctor he's going to start paying for it in literal $$$. I wasn't mixing around words when I said that a major concern of mine was how bad this kid's proverbial student debt wallet will be broken if he listens to all this passing advice to keep going onward.

This is false on so many levels that I can begin listing to you all the schools from CASPA that require under 2000 hours of paid clinical experience. One of the newly opened schools that are opening up in NY/NJ area is York College which only requires 500 hours of clinical experience (400 of which is required at the time of CASPA application). Monmouth University's PA program requires 200 of shadowing/clinical experience. None of these specify that these experiences must be paid nor are there stipulations that such a capacity needs to be fulfilled. Are there some schools that require over 2000 hours? I haven't seen them yet. However, I won't make a statement like PA schools et al. only require 500 or under 500 hours of clinical experience when I haven't extensively gone through the list of all schools.

It was easy for me to tell my parents the news they wanted to hear because I did what I had to do and at least performed from what was expected of me in college. I did well, I applied for many scholarships and grants, I performed adequately in classes, and I worked to pay off for the essentials like food/gas. There were some nights where I found myself in absolute **** holes because I didn't have a place to stay due to disagreements with them when I moved back in, but I still brought my Netter's Coloring Book and a BRS Anatomy Manual and did what I could for the day. I understand that some people have amazing comprehension abilities, I am not one of those people. My parents are not physicians or anyway within a science field. However, if you are in a sense a trail blazer you should try to create the environment you live in and surround yourself with people in order to cultivate a situation where you can talk about medicine topics to actively reinforce them.

I am not able to select only the part I want to quote on my phone, but as far as the schools requiring 2000 hours, there are some. Thank you for correcting me that not all of them do, however. Quick google search will see that 2000 hrs are required at some; many are less, but as always it's good to obtain more than he bare minimum anyways. Also from what I was reading, at least at my state programs some time ago, the hours needed to be paid.

I am not able to select only the part I want to quote on my phone, but as far as the schools requiring 2000 hours, there are some. Thank you for correcting me that not all of them do, however. Quick google search will see that 2000 hrs are required at some; many are less, but as always it's good to obtain more than he bare minimum anyways. Also from what I was reading, at least at my state programs some time ago, the hours needed to be paid.
Based on this article by Stephen Pasquini whose one of the most prominent PA-C bloggers for pre-PA: 8 of 204 PA programs require 2,000 hours (4%). With the bulk e.g. the majority of schools requiring sufficiently less hours than that stated amount. Save for three schools which require > 3000 hours, the rest require far less hours than 2,000. He provided a graph specifically explaining HCE requirements for many specific schools.

Source: http://www.thepalife.com/hce-paschool/

I passed. To all those who made it sound like I was going no where in life... Suck it.

I passed. To all those who made it sound like I was going no where in life... Suck it.
Excuse me? YOU were the one who said you didn't want to go to med school. YOU were the one worried about your grade. YOU were the one who didn't know how to tell your parents. :confused:

Reactions: 3 users
I took chem 1, failed, took it again, got a C. I'ma about to finish Chem 2, test grades so far are D,D, F, so there's a 99% chance I won't get in anyways. Honest answer, I hate chem.

The only person suggesting you weren't going anywhere was yourself. You got a bunch of great advice ITT.

Based on your history there was no reason for anyone to think you would do well in the class. It was up to you to make the adjustments, and apparently you have? Although I can't see anything better than a 'C' again even if you aced the 4th and/or final exam.

Last edited: