I think I made a huge mistake...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minne94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was offered an RA position from UMN but they made me decide this week whether or not to take it. This seems like a really good opportunity and also makes the program very affordable and since I don't know if I'll be able to afford the other schools I got into I didn't want to lose it if I do end up at UMN so I emailed to say yes. I got an email back that said they were "thrilled I would be joining them in the fall". I don't really know what I expected but now I feel terrible because I'm not positive I'll be going there!

How bad is it to go back on this if in a few weeks I get a get a fantastic financial aid package from another school I'm considering or something? Should I send my apologies now and say I can't actually commit to it at this time?

My stomach has been turning about this please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Scenario 1: You email to say that you cannot commit at this time. Eventually, you decide to attend UMN, but the offer may not be there anymore. You may or may not regret the decision of sending the email.

Scenario 2: You email to say that you cannot commit at this time. It probably won't look great, but at least you let them know quickly. Eventually, you decide to attend elsewhere, and it works out for you.

Scenario 3: You don't send any email. You end up choosing UMN, so it works out for you.

Scenario 4: You don't send any email. You decide to attend elsewhere, and have to send the email saying you have to back out. Is it a good look? No, but you are ultimately looking out for your own best interests.

You should choose which scenario you feel comfortable with the most. The personal risk associated with Scenario 1 would make me not want to send the email, but that's just me.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
90sbabygemini I bet I could do that! Is there any chance they would take back more than just the RA position? Like would the rescind my acceptance for this? I'm so scared :(

Thank you sloth - I was reading somewhere about accepting "funding" from one school and then going back on it can lead to all schools taking back their offers... I think they were talking about PhD programs but do you think that would be possible in this situation?

Thank you sloth - I was reading somewhere about accepting "funding" from one school and then going back on it can lead to all schools taking back their offers... I think they were talking about PhD programs but do you think that would be possible in this situation?

I don't think it would happen in this situation because I don't know how all of the schools would find out. The school would be inconvenienced, but I think that's about it.

Reactions: 1 user
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!! I truly appreciate everyones help on this - I'll finally be able to get some sleep tonight :highfive:

Reactions: 2 users