I think i'm going to throw up.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deav

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On Saturday i came off of a HUGE score for me getting a 30 (9p, 10v, 11b) on Kaplan FL #2. Decided to write my first AAMC test today...wrote 3R...i got a 10p, 9b....now here's the killer...I GOT A 4 ON VERBAL. A FOUR! HOW DOES THAT EVEN HAPPEN. I was just starting to get less stressed, and now i'm back to super stress mode again...ugh i heard the AAMC verbals were harder, BUT THIS MUCH! Anyway...i needed to vent, sorry.

Members don't see this ad.

Deav said:
On Saturday i came off of a HUGE score for me getting a 30 (9p, 10v, 11b) on Kaplan FL #2. Decided to write my first AAMC test today...wrote 3R...i got a 10p, 9b....now here's the killer...I GOT A 4 ON VERBAL. A FOUR! HOW DOES THAT EVEN HAPPEN. I was just starting to get less stressed, and now i'm back to super stress mode again...ugh i heard the AAMC verbals were harder, BUT THIS MUCH! Anyway...i needed to vent, sorry.

I know how you're feeling. Hang in there...wait...I have to tell myself that. :rolleyes: :p

I know platitudes aren't always helpful, but here goes: Keep working at it and it will get better. While I'm using TPR and EK materials to prep for the MCAT (so I can't comment on Kaplan), I know I was a bit thrown off when switching between TPR and AAMC examinations (because they feel different to me). The 3R I think is especially distinct from even some of the later AAMC verbal tests. Give yourself some time to go over what went wrong (Did you run out of time? Did you get distracted? Were the passages just hard/too easy (I add the "easy" part since I find that when I'm confronted with an easier passage, I actually tend to do worse because I don't pay as much attention to the finite details)? Did you misread questions? etcetera) and then try another verbal test in a few days.

Thanks! How do you correct verbal...maybe that's the problem, I try to do as much practice as I can but how do you make it helpful to go through the corrections for verbal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Deav said:
Thanks! How do you correct verbal...maybe that's the problem, I try to do as much practice as I can but how do you make it helpful to go through the corrections for verbal?

The EK method - when going over the tests and the correct answers, pay attention to the question itself, what is it asking? When you go over the questions for a certain passage, you can easily see the "main idea" of the passage simply by seeing what questions are being asked - answers to one question can often help you answer another question that asks something related. This doesn't always work of course, there are some questions that require that you understood something from the passage, some require detailed recall, etc...but some will be about the main idea. This of course, is quite easy to figure out when you spend time giong over the test, but when you're actually doing them, it's a bit tough sine with all the time and pressue, but that's what practice is for i guess...that's what i need to be doing soon!

Haha alright, we'll i'm definitely going to correct the crap out of this one! I thought i did bad on the verbal for the kaplan test too...i lucked out and got a 10...this just proved that that was a fluke lol!

Deav said:
Haha alright, we'll i'm definitely going to correct the crap out of this one! I thought i did bad on the verbal for the kaplan test too...i lucked out and got a 10...this just proved that that was a fluke lol!

Good thing you found out before the real thing: Kaplan does NOT give you an accurate sense of the real verbal section. Most people around here think EK is a better verbal prep. I would agree, to a good degree.

Yeah compared to this, i found the Kaplan ones a lot easier to follow and they ask more detail questions that can be found in the passages

I've been practicing with both EK and Kaplan Verbal FLs and the Kaplan ones are difficult as heck.