I thought I wanted to be a doctor, now I'm not sure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acphoenix

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a 4th year student (on a 5-year track), and I've always wanted to be a doctor, I still do. But I'm tired. I've been working towards this one goal for as long as I can remember, and I can't think of anything else I would possibly want to do with my life, except I'm so burnt out and exhausted all of the time. I'm registered to take the MCAT in May, so I'm running out of time to figure out what I want (especially with all the energy I funnel into studying for a test I may not even take).

Im working on a double major in biology and psychology, and I have worked in multiple research labs, both academic and pharmaceutical, but I don't know if I could be happy doing research for the rest of my life. I'm really interested in the brain, and have taken almost every neurology class offered at my school, so if I do stick with med school i would want to go into neurology. I know that I would be setting myself up for a long, exhausting path, I just don't know if I have the energy to go through with it anymore.

(Sorry if this is rambling, its 2:30 in the morning and I'm freaking out about my life)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!

First - take a deep breath. It's okay. We've all been there. ****, I was there multiple times when I was in undergrad. Know that you're not alone.

Second- Get some sleep. Wake up refreshed, and see if you feel different. Being a doctor is hard. It's a life long commitment. However, the reward is worth it if the reasons are right. Remind yourself why you chose this.

Lastly- after you've thought this through, and if you decide you don't want to be a doctor, that's okay! Do something that'll make you happy.

If you want to talk about your reasons, or just talk it out. Me and everyone on this forum is here!

Reactions: 1 users
You can take a gap year if you feel that you're reaching some sort of burnout point with your undergrad. It seems like you have a lot on your plate so these types of feelings are typical (I know I've been there with the whole double major thing). Like @OverlyRomantic said - relax a bit and feel free to vent.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can take a gap year if you feel that you're reaching some sort of burnout point with your undergrad. It seems like you have a lot on your plate so these types of feelings are typical (I know I've been there with the whole double major thing). Like @OverlyRomantic said - relax a bit and feel free to vent.

I personally am in my gap year (accepted, starting in July), and God has this year changed me for the better. A break isn't as bad as it sounds. Just think through all of your options

Reactions: 1 user
Take a gap year or more. I personally have put a halt on my path for medical school. There's some other things I want to do before medical school and I know medical school is a big commitment. I still want to be a medical doctor one day 1hunnid percent.

Reactions: 3 users
Take a gap year or years is definitely what you need. Med schools arent going anywhere.

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Take a gap year. It's the best decision I ever made. I have so much time on my hands now and I feel so relaxed and energized to start school in July. Like they've all said, we've all been there. Take a deep breath and relax, everything will be ok

Im a 4th year student (on a 5-year track), and I've always wanted to be a doctor, I still do. But I'm tired. I've been working towards this one goal for as long as I can remember, and I can't think of anything else I would possibly want to do with my life, except I'm so burnt out and exhausted all of the time. I'm registered to take the MCAT in May, so I'm running out of time to figure out what I want (especially with all the energy I funnel into studying for a test I may not even take).

Im working on a double major in biology and psychology, and I have worked in multiple research labs, both academic and pharmaceutical, but I don't know if I could be happy doing research for the rest of my life. I'm really interested in the brain, and have taken almost every neurology class offered at my school, so if I do stick with med school i would want to go into neurology. I know that I would be setting myself up for a long, exhausting path, I just don't know if I have the energy to go through with it anymore.

(Sorry if this is rambling, its 2:30 in the morning and I'm freaking out about my life)

Oddly enough I've been having the same dilemma (I'm a Junior Psych major, love the brain, am taking the MCAT this April, and would likely specialize in Neurology). I really love the field of psychology, and love learning about the new research in my classes. I have been wondering if maybe I would be happier pursuing a PhD in Psychology and becoming a professor, especially because I love teaching. I also like research but am not sure if I am willing to spend the rest of my life committed solely to research. It seems like this is the most important decision in my life, and it's scary to think the past few years leading up to my medical school application may have been wasted. But as I weigh the pros and cons, I realize that the pros of a physician far outweigh the pros of being a psychology professor. I actually haven't written them out but would like to share my reasoning.

Physician compared to Psychology PhD:
  • Relationships: Can form long-lasting relationships with patients, whereas as a Psych professor, students+research participants come and go fairly quickly.
  • Teaching: Can still teach in some form or another as a physician (as an attending, as a professor in medical school, or just teaching patients about their conditions). Also as a physician the teaching isn't as repetitive (as a professor I would teach the same course for who knows how many years)
  • Research: Can do clinical research during med school and as a physician if I truly miss it. Yes it will be harder to do with an MD, but it is still an option.
  • Helping people in general: whether in the clinic or as a clinical researcher, I feel like physicians have a more direct role in helping people's lives than Psychology researchers do (Psych research might not always benefit people).
  • Job stability: As a physician there is more job security than as a psychology professor. In addition, I might have more of a choice of where I'd like to work, whereas a psychology professor I am forced to move wherever I am hired. In addition, tenure is so much more difficult to achieve these days.
  • Job income: Obviously this isn't everything, but on average physicians make much more money, and this comfort would be nice when starting a family. (~80-100k vs. 200-300k).
  • Education time: Med school + residency for me would be about 8 years, but getting a PhD+postdoc is also 8 years. So it is still going to be a long time anyway.
  • Educational cost: Yes a PhD is essentially free, but the salary of a physician is so much higher that in the long run it won't be a huge factor.
  • Pressure to publish: As a psychology professor, you are judged so strongly based on how often you publish and the quality of the publications. I would hate to feel pressured to do this all the time, with my publications hinging on whether three random reviewers liked my article.
  • Free time: I've read so many stories on how hard professors work (writing pubs, grants, lecturing, grading, etc.) so it doesn't seem like there is much of a difference between the two fields.
  • Content of career: I do find psychology a bit more interesting than some aspects of medicine, but these parts that I find more interesting are studied in medicine (the brain, neurotransmitters, memory, vision, etc.). But I also find the human body as a whole pretty fascinating, so it's a trade off.
Sorry for the long post but it was helpful for me to write it all out too. Maybe you can relate to some of these!

Take a gap year and examine similar fields. Clinical psychology, neuroscience law, and forensic psychology for starters. MD vs. Ph.D are not the only two career options that explore the brain, and a physician is not the only career in which you would see patients.

okay guys lol we all have said take a gap year. /thread amirite?