I too need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MLB

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello - Reading what other people have asked, I would love some input into my own situation. I did really poorly as an undergrad (but I did manage to get my BS in Biology). I went on and got a Master's degree with a 3.9 GPA and now I am completing a Ph.D. (also with a 3.9 GPA). Both of these degrees are in Plant Biology. I am applying to med school in a couple years - do you think it would be worth it to retake science courses I did poorly in as an undergrad? How much emphasis do you think my crappy undergrad grades will get? Thank you very much!!! MB

Members don't see this ad.

Hi MLB,
There is no doubt that your excellent grades as a grad student will help you in the application process. However, AMCAS calculates undergraduate and graduate gpas separately. Hence, no matter how well your graduate gpas are, right next to it will be your not-so-hot undergrad gpa. I'm not sure if schools use both your undergrad and grad gpa to screen. It may very well differ from school to school so I think your best bet is to do a little research. Call a few of the med schools that you're interested in and ask for their advice. This is important because if most schools only use the undergrad science courses and mcat scores to do the initial screening, then you are clearly at a disadvantage. If not, then you won't have to bother taking those courses again. Hope this helps.

Good luck.