I took an Accelerated EMT course...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaggybill

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished a 2-week Accelerated EMT-B course, and as far as I know, I passed. We had our National Registry written exam on Friday, and our Skill Stations on Saturday morning. The Skills I passed with no problem, except on Trauma Assessment I forgot to verbalize how fast I would ventilate a patient in shock, but I guess it wasn't a critical fail because the State rep didnt fail me for it.

The Written was admittedly harder than I was expecting, but I think I did alright. I guess I'll know in a couple of weeks.

Would I recommend a 2-week course? Only if you are prepared to give up 2 weeks of your life. And when I say give up, I mean you do abosolutely nothing, zilch zero except for studying and being in class. I spent between 16 and 21 hours a day for 14 consecutive days between classes and studying for the next days test. It was the most intense thing I have ever done, and when the state rep. brought me into the office, shook my hand, and told me "Congratulations, you passed the stations," I almost gave him a big bear hug.

In short, in can't be done if you are not able to literally dedicate yourself solely to this one thing. You have to in order to pass.

Do I feel like I am ready to work on an ambulance as a Basic? Probably just as much as any other green EMT-B. One thing I've learned in this process is that EMT's aren't there so much to save a life as to just keep that life alive while they get the patient to the hospital. ABC's and transport.

Anyways, in case anyone ever searches for "accelerated classes" on this forum, there will be at least thread to look at. :D

Have a good week, everybody.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
congrats.
can you post a link to the training ctr where you took the course for others who might be interested in an accelerated course?

Thats crazy. I can't judge how well you learn or how good the class is but crazy. I took my EMT-B over a month and probaby didn't take half as much as I would if I did it over a longer time. Refering to the amount of time you spent studying is normal. I don't do much in medic school besides work to pay for school, study for school, drive to school, clinicals and time at my sqauad.

I'm all for accelerated programs but I think the EMS profession needs to elevate its requirments for skills, education, etc and to compact things isn't going to make us grow any faster. Could you imagine a Nurse going through a 2 year program in 6 months? Or a MD doing a 1 1/2 year residancy instead of 3 years?

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's a link to the training center.

http://emtinc.org/

emtcsmith, I would agree with you for the most part, but nurses and doctors couldn't even begin to fit their training in half the normal time. I was surprised at how little emt-b's can actually do. There is a decent amount of head knowledge to get a grasp on, but as far as hand's-on interventions, we can't do jack.

There isn't "alot" we do but its the foundation for everything above it. You don't need to know how to read an EKG but if you can look at someone, do a BLS assessment and be good enough to see they are having an MI that could be the difference in life or death.

I'm not being critical of you or this program just critical of EMS itself. Our job as basics is to be able to tell if the patient is BLS, if the patient needs ALS, or if we can do more good going to the hospital then waiting for ALS.

There isn't "alot" we do but its the foundation for everything above it. You don't need to know how to read an EKG but if you can look at someone, do a BLS assessment and be good enough to see they are having an MI that could be the difference in life or death.

I'm not being critical of you or this program just critical of EMS itself. Our job as basics is to be able to tell if the patient is BLS, if the patient needs ALS, or if we can do more good going to the hospital then waiting for ALS.

Yeah, I agree, and I wasnt harping on Basics at all. BLS is important, no doubt about that. I came into this knowing nothing about what a Basic could or could not do, and I guess I was just a little surprised at our scope of practice.

I was surprised at how little emt-b's can actually do. There is a decent amount of head knowledge to get a grasp on, but as far as hand's-on interventions, we can't do jack.

Just out of curiosity, what more did you expect from a class that can be compressed into two weeks?

Like I said, I didn't know what to expect. But whether the 130 required classroom hours are compressed into two weeks or drawn out into 9 months, what we can do is more limited than what I had always envisioned an EMT doing. That's all I was saying. Didn't mean to step on any toes. Also, good luck on the app process.

Like I said, I didn't know what to expect. But whether the 130 required classroom hours are compressed into two weeks or drawn out into 9 months, what we can do is more limited than what I had always envisioned an EMT doing. That's all I was saying. Didn't mean to step on any toes. Also, good luck on the app process.

just wondering, what did you expect?
when I did my emt 1-a( now emt-b) course around 20 yrs ago it was 9 hrs/week for 6 months plus a few skills weekends, ride alongs, and hospital days. back then emt-a's couldn't use an aed, an epi pen, give ntg, etc
it was pretty much abc's, spinal immobilization and assisting medics by spiking iv bags, putting on monitor patches, etc
I had to take a separate class to become an emt-d(defib) using an aed.
I went to paramedic school a few yrs later and did that for a few yrs before becoming an em pa. stuff the medics are doing now is awesome; central lines, rsi, surgical crichs, field 12 leads, etc
we've come a long way in 20 yrs.....
emedpa, emt-p

emt-b in 14 days...if you have 3 k to burn and need the cert RIGHT AWAY!
http://www.unitekcollege.com/emt/fasttrack2.php
This type of crap needs to be stopped.....it's a travesty to those of us who worked hard to become EMT's and it is extremely dangerous to the patients who are unlucky enough to have one of these fortnight wonders respond to their case.

This type of crap needs to be stopped.....it's a travesty to those of us who worked hard to become EMT's and it is extremely dangerous to the patients who are unlucky enough to have one of these fortnight wonders respond to their case.
I did the traditional route to emt/emt-p(see above post) however a little devil's advocate here.....what's the difference between 4 hrs/week for 30 weeks=120 hrs vs 60 hrs/week x 2 weeks=120 hrs as long as you teach the same skills and have the same amt of time in the hospital and on the rig?also these folks have to pass the same test.....
my paramedic program was 1 yr but I worked with some guys who did the intensive 3 month emt-p program and they did a good job too.

I have to agree with emedpa. I don't really think it is the course that makes that big of a difference in how adept an EMT-B can be. I think it is more of the level of dedication and motivation to learn once a person is working on the rig. Most of what makes someone a good EMT is on the job experience. I have known EMT's and paramedics that have gone through the classes and aced everything in the class and the tests, but weren't all that great on the street because a) they really didn't want to be in EMS(ie, just want to be a firefighter) or b) lacked the ability to learn from experience(ie, not a lot of common sense). Changing how condensed or spread out the class is doesn't really matter, it is how well that person incorporates experience with the basic knowledge taught in class. The best way to teach a new EMT is put them with a motivated, experienced EMS worker who is capable of converting their experiences into lessons for the newbie and also emoting thier enthusiasm for the job.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did the traditional route to emt/emt-p(see above post) however a little devil's advocate here.....what's the difference between 4 hrs/week for 30 weeks=120 hrs vs 60 hrs/week x 2 weeks=120 hrs as long as you teach the same skills and have the same amt of time in the hospital and on the rig?also these folks have to pass the same test.....
my paramedic program was 1 yr but I worked with some guys who did the intensive 3 month emt-p program and they did a good job too.
Of course you need to bear in mind that I'm an advocate for a total overhaul of the current EMS system, including massively increasing the standards for becoming an EMT.

what's the difference between 4 hrs/week for 30 weeks=120 hrs vs 60 hrs/week x 2 weeks=120 hrs as long as you teach the same skills and have the same amt of time in the hospital and on the rig?also these folks have to pass the same test.....
The difference is that there is a much smaller period of time for students to absorb the information they are learning. When it's drawn out over months, they have time to appreciate all the information they are reading, look it over several times, get help on things they are unsure of, etc. Also they may pass the same test, but obviously tests only examine a small sample of your information. The less important stuff will not be examined as much, and certainly many EMTs will pass by chance by happening to know and only know the material that was on the exam. Ultimately, I think there's a fair chance that the general competency of the EMT will be less in a 2 week vs. a full program.

The difference is that there is a much smaller period of time for students to absorb the information they are learning. When it's drawn out over months, they have time to appreciate all the information they are reading, look it over several times, get help on things they are unsure of, etc. Also they may pass the same test, but obviously tests only examine a small sample of your information. The less important stuff will not be examined as much, and certainly many EMTs will pass by chance by happening to know and only know the material that was on the exam. Ultimately, I think there's a fair chance that the general competency of the EMT will be less in a 2 week vs. a full program.
And there is less time to weed out the people who are there for the "cool" factor, and not for the benefit of their patients.

Of course you need to bear in mind that I'm an advocate for a total overhaul of the current EMS system, including massively increasing the standards for becoming an EMT.

amen

1ST QUESTION:
do you like to run into burning buildings?
yes? sorry you can not be in this program :)

1ST QUESTION:
do you like to run into burning buildings?
yes? sorry you can not be in this program :)
*looks at Class A fire department uniform* HEY! :laugh:

Yes, I actually was rather disappointed when I learned I had to drag hose in order to run EMS calls on our department. Medicine is something I enjoy to a very great extent and the more "traditional" firefighters were more than happy to let me handle the EMS side of things. At least until I was promoted enough to start mandating better training, etc. :smuggrin:

-DKM
Former EMS and Rescue Captain on a volunteer FD

I took an accelerated course as well (emtinc as mentioned above). There are those that will say there isn't a way for someone to learn enough during those two weeks. Does it matter whether a person doesn't learn the material in two weeks or forgets it over six months as long as they pass the class? Obviously learning everything taught is preferable, but there is a reason only a 70% is required to obtain a NREMT-B cert.

I liked the accelerated format because as soon as class was over, I was on the ambulances where I volunteer using what I'd learned.

Nick, do you feel that you were able to retain enough of what you learned to be of value on an ambulance?

I haven't worked in the medical field yet (waiting on someone to hire me as a ER Tech), and I'm curious as to how you feel about your perfomance in the field.

how would a person in the accelerated program forfill 80 clinical hour requirement. Anyway, by the book EMT-B are just glorified bandaid stations. The paramedics get to do the fun stuff. Which is why I really can't wait to start Paramedic training.

Are you sure the requirement is 80 hours? I only did 16 total for both Ambulance and ER. Actually, I did 18, but only 16 was required for the course.

I belive there is an 80 hour requirement in Florida, where I live. EMS law in Florida is also much stricter than NREMT's guidelines. This is probably the case.

However, extra clinical hours can never hurt.

back in the day the california requirement for emt 1-a (now emt-b) was 12 hrs hospital and 12 hrs field.
if you wanted the emt-d( aed at the time) you had to do one more 8 hr day of didactic/skills.

I will have to do 696 clinical hours for paramedic school...

can't wait

Can you suggest a place to do a similar program in new york city, or where I can find one? Also, what's the difference between emt and ems?

Also, what's the difference between emt and ems?
EMT=Emergency Medical Technician
EMS=Emergency Medical Services

A waiter works in food service as an EMT works in EMS.

any such programs in the chicago area? online or accelrated?

any such programs in the chicago area? online or accelrated?

Not that I know of. While I was there for my Wilderness upgrade, there were a couple guys from the Chicagoland area getting their FR. The day we took our NR test, there were a couple people from there as well. Bloomington, IN isn't that far away from Chicago.

Is there a course as accelerated course in the NY area?

did anyone who did unitek get there NY EMT after?

congrats.
can you post a link to the training ctr where you took the course for others who might be interested in an accelerated course?

Jade Education has a good accelerated EMT program. I believe they also have an online program.

Not going to lie, I would without a doubt, NOT want a new EMT on my truck who finished a 2 week course... From a paramedic's point of view that almost feels like a liability.

UCLA has a month long accelerated program with a 97% pass rate regarded as one of the best. I’m starting mine April 30th. Not sure why people are disparaging accelerated programs when UCLA sees fit to provide it.