I wanna be a zoo veterinary technician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FutureZooVetTech

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello. I want to be a veterinary technician for a Zoo. Right now I am on my last year of high school. I am planning on going to school to be a veterinary technician since it seems like it would be a good start. What steps would I have to take to become a zoo veterinary technician?

P.s I am fully aware that it will take a lot of hard work and schooling.
 
Hello. I want to be a veterinary technician for a Zoo. Right now I am on my last year of high school. I am planning on going to school to be a veterinary technician since it seems like it would be a good start. What steps would I have to take to become a zoo veterinary technician?

P.s I am fully aware that it will take a lot of hard work and schooling.
In addition to requiring hard work, the jobs are few and far between to begin with. You'd need to become a licensed vet tech, then most likely start in general practice with exotics and work your way in via increasing your experience with exotics AND large animals as well as networking. I suggest you shadow techs at a clinic near you to make sure you can live with general practice just in case being a zoo tech doesn't pan out.

AZVT - Association of Zoo Veterinary Technicians - home is a good resource for ya.