I want to get a bachelors in chemistry and then go to pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

are there advisors/guidence counslors in college who will help me out with planning what classes to take?

because there is only one college that I am looking at that has a pre-pharmacy program with the chemistry major.

it's because I am 50% interested in doing research and 50% interested in pharmacy...right now.

Members don't see this ad.

are there advisors/guidence counslors in college who will help me out with planning what classes to take?

because there is only one college that I am looking at that has a pre-pharmacy program with the chemistry major.

it's because I am 50% interested in doing research and 50% interested in pharmacy...right now.

No one here will know if the guidance counselors at the unspecified college you are interested in are qualified. I don't recommend using guidance counsellors too much anyway. Just find out the prereq's of the college of pharmacy you are interested in and make sure to take those classes while earning your chemistry degree. The councillors may help you with the chemistry classes, but do NOT rely on them for prepharmacy classes. Do this YOURSELF. You don't want to take the wrong classes because you took the word of someone who was misinformed.

Pre-pharmacy just mean you are taking the prereq's to pharmacy school. You can do this almost anywhere.

umm okay but they will help me out with the scheduling if I bring them the list of pre-requisities of all the pharmacy schools i will probably apply to, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is basically what I did (Biochem instead of Chem). The prerequisites are almost universal: Biology 1 and 2, Chemistry 1 and 2, Organic Chemistry 1 and 2, Microbiology. From here it varies from school to school but usually you can expect to take Physics, Calc 1, Stats and the like. You can usually complete your pre-reqs in 4 semesters, so if you plan to get a bachelors (typically 8 semesters) you will have more than enough time to complete all the pre-reqs. I agree with owlegrad, just do it yourself. Most guidance counselors will be more concerned with covering your required courses for your B.S. instead of worrying about pre-reqs for other schools.

Hope this helps.

umm okay but they will help me out with the scheduling if I bring them the list of pre-requisities of all the pharmacy schools i will probably apply to, right?

Look, I don't want to sound like I hate gc's but really your school will almost certainly have an online registration system to search for available classes, register, pay, etc. Do this yourself and use gc's as backup/verifying if you absolutely feel you need their input. I have had them give me bad information and have heard horror stories of people taking the wrong classes, etc. I don't recommend relying on them at all.

Good Luck!

so basically you did everything yourself? did your college have a prepharmacy track?
that's what i'm worried about. my top picks don't have that.

okay you said you only did the prereqs. frankly, i don't feel that positive in going for pharmacy to do that. i want to either go into research for medicine(which means i'll get a masters) or pharmacy school. i'm 50-50

so basically you did everything yourself? did your college have a prepharmacy track?

I don't know if their are schools that advertise "prepharmacy track".If they do it's a marketing scam. prepharmacy track just means you are taking the prereqs to pharmacy school. That's it. There is no such thing as "prepharmacy track". Anyone who is taking the prereqs are on a prepharmacy track. I hope that clears it up.

If you look at pre-requisites, what schools put on their websites for their pharmacy schools, you'll get an idea of how you should plan out your courses and your ECs while taking classes.

okay you said you only did the prereqs. frankly, i don't feel that positive in going for pharmacy to do that. i want to either go into research for medicine(which means i'll get a masters) or pharmacy school. i'm 50-50

Nothing wrong with that plan. Just get a chemstry (or w/e) degree while taking the prereqs.

Good Luck!

If you look at pre-requisites, what schools put on their websites for their pharmacy schools, you'll get an idea of how you should plan out your courses and your ECs while taking classes.

Darn you are too fast! I was gonna say the first part of your (original) post was a little rough, but you took it out so fast I couldn't quote it!! :laugh:

wow, thanks ma. you cleared so much up for me. i kept getting worried that only one college i looked at said chemistry with prepharmacy

Darn you are too fast! I was gonna say the first part of your (original) post was a little rough, but you took it out so fast I couldn't quote it!! :laugh:

Yeah, I usually give my posts a second look before moving on.

I try to remember that some of the posters don't have the mindset of a pharmacy student, so I try to think of their positions and what they would be thinking before I leave the post.

Yeah, I usually give my posts a second look before moving on.

I try to remember that some of the posters don't have the mindset of a pharmacy student, so I try to think of their positions and what they would be thinking before I leave the post.

Yeah, I used to be confused when I first started looking into pharmacy school about the exact track to being a pharmacist. In retrospect I don't see what was so confusing about it. :laugh:

haha, the irony of life. everything is difficult until you get past it.