I want to have LADoc00's baby!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RyMcQ

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seriously, all this LADoc worship is pretty pathetic. Yeah, he was pretty funny/abrasive and even occasionally insightful. But this board used to have occasionally useful threads that wouldn't get threadjacked into juvenile/drunken chats between people interested in jacking up their post numbers.

Nevermind. You are right. I'm just jealous.

Members don't see this ad.

You have a point - it would be nice if the randomness was somewhat confined more so that people wouldn't get lost in threads that quickly get off topic.

Are you male or female? If you are male I can say that you are definitely not having his baby. ;)

I wonder how many people are frustrated with the randomness. For people who read all the threads it's probably no biggie. But for people who want to come and look at one topic without sorting, it must be annoying. At the same time it really builds community here. I'm not sure if this problem has a solution aside from the community deciding to redirect itself. I guess you'll have to appeal to them if you want change. From what I have seen they have been resisitant to this. But it has always been presented in kind of a whiny fashion before. Maybe other users will use this as an opportunity to voice their feelings on the randomness. Perhaps it bothers more people than we though. Or, perhaps it only bothers a few. At this time, we really do not know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to admit, in the middle of a somewhat "serious" thread, a digression here and there is ok (and usually pretty funny). But if all someone can get is a bunch of smart ass remarks when asking a serious question, well, it gets a little old. People come here to be entertained, but also to get some solid info too.

RyMcQ said:
Seriously, all this LADoc worship is pretty pathetic. Yeah, he was pretty funny/abrasive and even occasionally insightful. But this board used to have occasionally useful threads that wouldn't get threadjacked into juvenile/drunken chats between people interested in jacking up their post numbers.

I'd have to agree as well. I don't frequent this forum quite as much as I used to, back in the days of Mindy, Great Pumpkin, BCMD, etc. There is far too much forum "spam" going on... yes, it can often be funny at times, although it can also be just plain annoying.

I enjoy the randomness here, and I know I contribute to it. I enjoy the sense of community here. But I can definitely see that it may be difficult to find useful pathology information here. Maybe we could have a subforum where we have more personal type and random threads. That way we may be able to keep a sense of community and fun while still keeping a useful source for people looking for path info.

The solution is to not go nuts in serious-topic threads - I am not about to go and delete posts that aren't on topic though.

In truth though, there are far more useful threads here than there used to be - "back in the day" there were maybe 4-5 posts on the entire forum during an average day (not new threads, just posts).

Even though I have certainly contributed to the juvenile randomness that goes around SDN path, I can definitely see how it is irritating. I am even starting to get increasingly irritated myself.

I initially came onto these forums with the purpose of giving out and receiving advice. I've learned so much from those who went through the application process when I started the whole ERAS she-bang almost a year ago. On the other hand, I've enjoyed dishing out my advice, experiences, and reflections on the MSTP forum which is where I feel I can give out the most useful advice.

I don't have much solid advice to give here on the pathology forum, however. That is because I don't know the issues inside-and-out in pathology. It's not like I knew pathology would be my specialty of choice many years ago. My final decision to pursue pathology was something that just happened within the last year or so. People like LADoc00 and others who have seen the pros and cons of pathology with their very own eyes have given us quite a bit of non-sugarcoated insight into that adorn and plague pathology.

Many of the threads do get hijacked. It is getting worse. Some of us have contributed to it, including myself. I feel increasingly guilty because some of them are very serious threads that raise legitimate questions. As I reflect on this, I too feel bad for those OPs that come here for help but return later to see that the issue at hand has taken a 180 degree turn into ludicrous randomness. I mean the initial replies are great and informative but soon thereafter the threads devolve into silliness. Once a thread starts to get derailed, it becomes a positive feedback loop and a juggernaut that can't be stopped. Then the thread goes down the sh*tter like many other threads.

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed the times I had shootin' the **** with the cool folks who come around here. But we should restrict this to individual (i.e., yaah's random thread) or maybe a few threads at most. We should hold back on hijacking every single thread. I can imagine that many people have legitimate questions that they feel aren't worth posting now due to the inevitability that their threads will be hijacked.

Hopefully the randomness and hijacking will go down a bit to encourage people to post serious questions and seek advice...which is what we really are here for because in the end, we are more than happy to give out helpful advice. For instance, since the next application cycle is coming up, I'm sure many applicants applying this year will have lots of questions (where to apply? how many programs to apply to? which programs are geared for private practice or academia? etc). The off-season is almost over and it's time for us who are residents, soon-to-be residents, junior faculty, etc to be of service to the up-and-coming pathologist-wannabe's.

I agree with the suggestions of others to keep the serious threads serious and on track. People who are not qualified to sincerely answer the question or give input should butt-out. I'm gonna try my best to live by this mantra from now on. Ask questions about applications, interviews, strategies for the match...I'll chime in. Ask questions about the job market or private practice pathology...I'll STFU cuz I don't know jack about this stuff as I am only a lowly soon-to-be-PGY1.

All the best,

AndyM

yaah said:
In truth though, there are far more useful threads here than there used to be - "back in the day" there were maybe 4-5 posts on the entire forum during an average day (not new threads, just posts).

Those few posts per day back then probably contained more useful and helpful information pertaining to pathology than the multitude of spam posts per day that we see now. :p

What is we made a few more "silly" threads and resolved not to go too far afield when it seems in appropriate. Following the lead of the OP is probably the best thing to do. So say the OP comes back and goofs of then it would be cool to mess around. But if the OP wants a serious discussion then it would be out of place to hijack the thread for more than a couple of posts. Does that sound reasonable?

bananaface said:
What is we made a few more "silly" threads and resolved not to go too far afield when it seems in appropriate. Following the lead of the OP is probably the best thing to do. So say the OP comes back and goofs of then it would be cool to mess around. But if the OP wants a serious discussion then it would be out of place to hijack the thread for more than a couple of posts. Does that sound reasonable?

I think this sounds very reasonable. This is along the same lines as what yaah and AndyM suggested. We can keep our randomness in a few threads and leave serious discussions serious.

I think the amount of serious pathology discussions will increase as application and interview season rolls around. I know that I will have lots of serious questions then, and I really don't right now.

This sounds like a great compromise where we can keep our sense of fun but still be a useful resource for people looking for information.

My brain is not working very well right now from the incredible heat - a tourist in my own country, the shame! :oops: - but I'll give this a shot:

Most of us regulars (whether lurkers or posters) have certainly noticed the increase in randomness - if not been guilty of contributing to it. I suspect it is also aggravated by being between Match cycles, and by the increase in the so-called "popularity" of the forum.

What I have noticed in my time on here is that some "serious" posts get sidetracked when nobody really knows the answer to the question. So perhaps it isn't so much a lack of respect towards the OP's question as a lack of knowledge. (Most of us aren't yet pathologists after all. Which is why I think it will be important for us to continue to have some sort of presence on SDNPath as we each advance through our programs and careers.)

Now that we are all aware of what makes the randomness tick though, we can be more mindful of avoiding such things in the future. We have always managed to self-moderate :) and I certainly have faith in the general communal responsiveness.

Last but not least is the organization of "serious" information. The issue of how to make past responses easily accessible is quite near and dear to me ;) since a fair number of questions which turn up on the front page have been answered very thoroughly in the past.

That certainly does not mean that they cannot be asked again, and I don't mean to be rude when I post a brief "See this post:" in place of posting a screen-long response, I simply think that the original responder answered the question much better than I could have.

We have our stickied FAQs (I think the challenge is to make them relevant to progressive stages of residency training), and if anyone has any ideas for more entries then feel free to let me know and I will see what I can do.

(And that is going to be the last intelligent thing I say all day... Gawd the heat! At 9am! I need to get out of the valley.
82 °F / 28 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Heat Index: 88 °F / 31 °C
Humidity: 74%
)

RyMcQ said:

Nevermind. You are right. I'm just jealous.

Dude, are you gay? Seriously. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
bananaface said:
Oooh! We're about to witness a path forum hookup!

Who entitles a thread "I want to have person X's baby and is a man?" Whats the psychology behind that??

bananaface said:
How do you know the OP is a man?

His Y chromosome? Is this a trick question, are you asking if Ive really seen his penis?
gay2.jpg

gayness.jpg

bananaface said:
yes, the penis thing. we all want to know.

This is all I have to add.
alfgay.jpg

LADoc00 said:

Now this is what I'm talking about! Now else can bring it like LADOC!

tsj said:
Now this is what I'm talking about! Now else can bring it like LADOC!
See? Everybody around here gets whipped up into an orgasmic frenzy every time you come around. So can you blame me for wanting to have your baby (lack of the needed gear notwithstanding)?

RyMcQ said:
See? Everybody around here gets whipped up into an orgasmic frenzy every time you come around. So can you blame me for wanting to have your baby (lack of the needed gear notwithstanding)?

I now stay relatively neutral on the whole matter.

LADoc00 said:
His Y chromosome? Is this a trick question, are you asking if Ive really seen his penis?
gay2.jpg

gayness.jpg

Oh, come on. Don't be like that....you big "Silly Goose". :laugh:

RyMcQ said:
See? Everybody around here gets whipped up into an orgasmic frenzy every time you come around.
Watch that tarbrush! Damned poetic licence.

I don't mind people thinking I'm promiscuous, but I do mind people thinking I have no taste. (Ref?)