I want to major in biology.. please help me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glowz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting college next month..
There are 3 types of biology.. so I don't know which one to major in

- Department of Plant Biology

- Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

- Biological science? <- Is this like general biology?

Which one is the easiest for you guys?

I don't know what I am interested in out of those three

I have no idea :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

when you start all of the classes you take will be the same for all majors.

Chem 1 and 2
Bio 1 and 2
Orgo 1 and 2

After you finish your gen ed stuff and your basic science classes you move on to classes that will go twards your major.

For now undecided is fine, until you meet other people in other programs and speak with them about what they like about their program.

That being said... I did a interdisiplinary major. It gave me a lot of freedom about what science classes I could take (in the relm of science).

At the end of the day....
You don't need to worry about your major as much as you think right now. Just wait and see what you like.

-C

Thank you superC

I was so stressed out about it

I can relax now..

I would say Biochem would be hardest. At my school, Biochem majors had to take all the other classes every other science major takes (Bio 1 and 2, Chem 1 and 2, Orgo 1 and 2, Calc. I and II) as well as 2 semesters of Physical Chem, Calc. III, 2 semesters of Calc.-based physics, 2 semesters of Molecular/Cell Bio. Also, instead of general Biochem (1 semester), 2 semesters of Biochem (for majors). It sucked having to take P-chem and Calc. III, but kinda pimp because before my sophomore year, the department officially changed the title of my major from 'Biochemistry' to 'Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics.'