I want to publish what i've written

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dire Straits

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i thought this would be the most appropriate forum to ask this. i've written a fairly in-depth essay on ischemic heart disease and was wondering if any journal would consider it for publication. this is not a "review" article, but more of an educational paper targeted at med students, residents, and maybe even attendings. i have no co-authors. is there any journal out there that accepts such work?

Members don't see this ad.

do you have a research advisor?

Members don't see this ad :)
dante201 said:
Possibly Academic Medicine. Or, perhaps an "open-access" journal.

what are some "open-access" journals? thanks

Dire Straits said:
what are some "open-access" journals? thanks

I don't know a lot about them, but here is a list of open-access medical journals:
http://www.doaj.org/ljbs?cpid=24

Generally, they aren't going to be as prestigious as Nature, Cell, JAMA, Science, NEJM, etc, but they are becoming more popular, especially for methodological papers and other articles that might not normally be easy to publish (too long, etc). They still are generally peer-reviewed, but the publication costs and turn around time are better, so it's supposedly a good way to get information out quickly.

Based on your description, it sounds like something people may want to search for (like Uptodate or eMedicine, although I think they generally use invited authors). I've seen similar types of articles in nursing journals or in journals more general toward general practice (like Family Medicine, etc).

dante201 said:
I don't know a lot about them, but here is a list of open-access medical journals:
http://www.doaj.org/ljbs?cpid=24

Generally, they aren't going to be as prestigious as Nature, Cell, JAMA, Science, NEJM, etc, but they are becoming more popular,

The Public Library of Science (PLoS) journals are designed to be the equivalent of Nature/Science. They're not there yet, but the quality of the published work is generally quite high. Others are...less presitigious. I believe all BioMedCentral journals are now OA, as well, and the movement is forcing closed-access journals to be less restrictive.