I was accepted....now what?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mugsy1888

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been accepted to my dream school and am really excited. After the initial happiness, I now have a feeling like "oh ****, what have I gotten myself into." Don't get me wrong, dentistry is what I want to do, but it's sort of just now hitting me that I basically am gearing up to go through 4 very difficult years and I'm starting to get more nervous than excited. Please tell me this normal!!! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So I've been accepted to my dream school and am really excited. After the initial happiness, I now have a feeling like "oh ****, what have I gotten myself into." Don't get me wrong, dentistry is what I want to do, but it's sort of just now hitting me that I basically am gearing up to go through 4 very difficult years and I'm starting to get more nervous than excited. Please tell me this normal!!! Thanks!

I had those feelings when I first got accepted to.

let me tell you something, As a DS2 whos going to be DS3 this May... I am having the BEST time of my life. Yes they work us hard over here, but its totally manageable. Its funny to say, but you get so used to the "beating" it becomes part of everyday life.... even at times, I miss the beating when we have long breaks (like x-mass). Think of dental school as going through a more "polite" version of high school all over again....

I hear you brotha. My school is 2000 miles away, I don't know anyone there, debt is going to be 300k plus, I have a girlfriend here, etc.

here's the thing though...I LOVED the school. I can't say enough about it. Before I thought about dentistry it was something that I kind of thought "eh, I guess I'll do it because they live a very comfortable life, you're your own boss, you can open up a business."

but this school left me with a very different view of dentistry. I feel a certain passion towards it now. Something that I didn't feel with any of the other schools.

can someone explain why I felt that way? because I can't. I just knew when I left that campus that dentistry is something that I want to do for the rest of my life.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
can someone explain why I felt that way? because I can't. I just knew when I left that campus that dentistry is something that I want to do for the rest of my life.

I don't think I can explain why you feel this way, but I can definitely agree with that feeling! That's how I felt after the interview at the school that I'll be attending. During the whole interview everyone kept saying how hard you'd have to study the first two years, and I was sitting there thinking how I'd never wanted anything so badly before in my life! Sure I'm a little scared about the tough times ahead, but I'm super excited too!

You will love every minute of it even while you're hating every minute of it. Here's just some fun tips I have:

--> Make sure your tablet and computer situation is squared away. Broken computers the night before the exam are never any fun.

--> Look into loupes. Ask your school's students if they provide them or if you have to buy them. I would have liked to look into it sooner, not during school

--> Buy a nice bed. You deserve it. The only time you spend at home will be to sleep

--> Get an exercise routine going. You'll need to move and be active after 8+ hours at school every damn day

You will love every minute of it even while you're hating every minute of it. Here's just some fun tips I have:

--> Make sure your tablet and computer situation is squared away. Broken computers the night before the exam are never any fun.

--> Look into loupes. Ask your school's students if they provide them or if you have to buy them. I would have liked to look into it sooner, not during school

--> Buy a nice bed. You deserve it. The only time you spend at home will be to sleep

--> Get an exercise routine going. You'll need to move and be active after 8+ hours at school every damn day

what are loupes?

Have as much fun as possible, go on trips, play xbox, etc.

From the outside looking in, it seems like the most insane thing to sign up for. But in some weird way, it's a lot of fun. It's no cakewalk, but you'll love it. Applying is over; that was the lamest part of this whole journey.

Yikes are you serious? I consider myself to be a homebody and would like to spend as much time at home studying rather thannat a library. Also, I have a dog so I don't want to abandon him!

Yikes are you serious? I consider myself to be a homebody and would like to spend as much time at home studying rather thannat a library. Also, I have a dog so I don't want to abandon him!

Buy a nice chair then.

So are there people in dental school that would rather stay in on a Friday night and watch a movie rather than go out to a bar because that is what I would do. I don't want to be some awkward loser though... :(

I feel exactly the same, except what hit me was the thought of being 400k in debt. @_@

Loupes: dental magnification
--> Orascoptic
--> Designs for Vision
--> Q optics
--> Surgitel
--> Heine
Etc.

Ask the school if they provide a brand to you, a subset of brands, or give you 100% free choice. Download the catalogue from the applicable websites and start researching.

I found brand shopping during classes & exams to frustrate me.

Loupes: dental magnification
--> Orascoptic
--> Designs for Vision
--> Q optics
--> Surgitel
--> Heine
Etc.

Ask the school if they provide a brand to you, a subset of brands, or give you 100% free choice. Download the catalogue from the applicable websites and start researching.

I found brand shopping during classes & exams to frustrate me.

If I'm correct dantemac, you are at Penn? If so, what you recommend future students do for loupes? I remember during the tour the 4th year student mentioned that there are wide range of loupes that can be bought with a wide range of prices. She also mentioned that the vendors come to the campus at certain times of the year. But based on your experience should they be bought prior hand?

Thanks.

So are there people in dental school that would rather stay in on a Friday night and watch a movie rather than go out to a bar because that is what I would do. I don't want to be some awkward loser though... :(

Me. Of course I have two toddlers and a wife. And I don't drink.

I bought a $1000 mattress during 4th of july... got it down to about less than 500 :D

Craiglisted every other piece of furniture...

Yeah. Buying mattresses is really like buying cars. You can negotiate all day.

Never buy new unless you're a sucker?

Lol. I guess I should have said "dealing with a mattress salesmen is like dealing with a car salesmen, there can be endless price negotiations."

I'm sure this feeling is very normal! I have been trying to block out upcoming dental school fears to focus on my current semester. Histology lab is kicking my butt. D: But considering most things, your problem is a good problem to have haha! Congrats on your acceptance! :)