General Admissions & OTCAS I was denied, now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Opto725

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been denied to the schools I've applied to via OTCAS...Now what? For those of you who took a year off or were denied, what did you do during your gap year? Need some advice! Was looking into applying to different master programs but not sure thats the right step?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been denied to the schools I've applied to via OTCAS...Now what? For those of you who took a year off or were denied, what did you do during your gap year? Need some advice! Was looking into applying to different master programs but not sure thats the right step?

Don't be discouraged! I was in the same boat as you last year. I finally got in this year after applying for a second time. I ended up getting a job as a one-to-one aide working with children with disabilities. This allowed me to make great connections since I'm constantly around OT's, PT's, SLP's. So definitely look for a job that's related in the field if you don't already have one. Make sure to get as many observation hours & get great LOR's. I only applied to schools that didn't require the GRE because I suck at standardized tests. I knew it was going to be a waste of money & time taking it. APPLY EARLY! The earlier the better. Definitely make sure you have multiple people read your personal statement & see what their feedback is. I read my personal statement from the first year & it was pretty bad. So make sure to write a kick ass personal statement! Stay optimistic & don't give up. Good luck! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I was denied my first time too! My advice for the second time around would be to get a job in a similar field, get good LOR, good GRE scores, fix any subpar pre-req grades and apply to some schools not on OTCAS, as they tend to get less applicants because OTCAS makes everything so easy to send to multiple schools at once many of those schools get a crazy amount of applicants!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was denied my first time too! My advice for the second time around would be to get a job in a similar field, get good LOR, good GRE scores, fix any subpar pre-req grades and apply to some schools not on OTCAS, as they tend to get less applicants because OTCAS makes everything so easy to send to multiple schools at once many of those schools get a crazy amount of applicants!

Would you possibly have a list of schools that aren't on OTCAS? Thanks for your advice by the way, its hard not to get discouraged :(

Don't be discouraged! I was in the same boat as you last year. I finally got in this year after applying for a second time. I ended up getting a job as a one-to-one aide working with children with disabilities. This allowed me to make great connections since I'm constantly around OT's, PT's, SLP's. So definitely look for a job that's related in the field if you don't already have one. Make sure to get as many observation hours & get great LOR's. I only applied to schools that didn't require the GRE because I suck at standardized tests. I knew it was going to be a waste of money & time taking it. APPLY EARLY! The earlier the better. Definitely make sure you have multiple people read your personal statement & see what their feedback is. I read my personal statement from the first year & it was pretty bad. So make sure to write a kick ass personal statement! Stay optimistic & don't give up. Good luck! :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I have heard that applying early doesn't necessarily make much of a difference but better safe than sorry, right? I will be on the hunt for a better job position and hopefully increase my chances next time around :/ Appreciate the advice, just trying to keep my head up and figure out my next plan

Don't get discouraged! I wasn't accepted my first time either. I picked up extra hours as a Rehab Tech and volunteered at other locations. I ended up shadowing in a school setting, clinic specializing in neurologican conditions, anda hand therapist. That extra exposure and working for months on my personal statement really helped!

I actually started a blog to encourage those that didn't get in their first time :)
You're not alone! It is definitely worth the struggle. You appreciate your program more once you're in.

Reactions: 1 user
I have heard that applying early doesn't necessarily make much of a difference
I have to disagree here. One of the schools I applied to this year only looks at the first 250 applications they receive (out of 600+ total applicants). They scrap the 400+ that apply after and never gave them a glance...no matter the stats. I really do think sending mine out in late August was one of the reasons I got accepted. Some schools will even accept at a rolling basis (accept them as they come if qualified enough).

Reactions: 1 users
I have to disagree here. One of the schools I applied to this year only looks at the first 250 applications they receive (out of 600+ total applicants). They scrap the 400+ that apply after and never gave them a glance...no matter the stats. I really do think sending mine out in late August was one of the reasons I got accepted. Some schools will even accept at a rolling basis (accept them as they come if qualified enough).
Which school does that if you don't mind me asking?

Would you possibly have a list of schools that aren't on OTCAS?
Thought I'd chime in on this. I'm sure there are more out there, but as of this cycle, these do not use OTCAS:

Lenoir Rhyne University
Medical University of South Carolina (uses their own electronic system)
Jefferson College of Health Sciences
Loma Linda University
Bay Path University
Abilene Christian University

Thought I'd chime in on this. I'm sure there are more out there, but as of this cycle, these do not use OTCAS:

Lenoir Rhyne University
Medical University of South Carolina (uses their own electronic system)
Jefferson College of Health Sciences
Loma Linda University
Bay Path University
Abilene Christian University

Also NYU, Columbia & Seton Hall University

Part of me thinks that super shady. Why allow 400+ people waste their money when they know they're only going to look at the first 250... unethical and money mongering...

Part of me thinks that super shady. Why allow 400+ people waste their money when they know they're only going to look at the first 250... unethical and money mongering...
Schools are businesses these days. All they want is your money.

Schools are businesses these days. All they want is your money.

yep! a lot of these minimum gpa reqs are bs too. website will say one thing then you go to an open house and they'll give you the real number.

VCU. I heard that from a current student.

Not trying to be argumentative but I applied to VCU the day before the deadline and got in so I think somebody exaggerated to you, but I do agree with you that when you apply definitely matters! I think a lot of it depends on how you are as an applicant and what the school wants but places def fill up early! I got into a few top ranked programs and waitlisted/denied at lower programs that I applied to later in the cycle (not saying that's why I got denied but one school flat out told me my app was great but they had no room for me and that was in Feb).

A lot of schools loved my work experience with those with disabilities. Another school told me that they liked how I conveyed my knowledge of the field through my personal statement so maybe try that. Good luck :)

Not trying to be argumentative but I applied to VCU the day before the deadline and got in so I think somebody exaggerated to you, but I do agree with you that when you apply definitely matters! I think a lot of it depends on how you are as an applicant and what the school wants but places def fill up early! I got into a few top ranked programs and waitlisted/denied at lower programs that I applied to later in the cycle (not saying that's why I got denied but one school flat out told me my app was great but they had no room for me and that was in Feb).

A lot of schools loved my work experience with those with disabilities. Another school told me that they liked how I conveyed my knowledge of the field through my personal statement so maybe try that. Good luck :)
Huh..guess that was just a rumor then. I would still apply as soon as possible. This was my second year sending them out and with my first time, I applied to several schools so late (but well within the deadline) they didn't even know I sent an app. You must have been lucky!

Totally not true- At least for most OT schools that require an interview. OT schools have 2 main rounds of interviews. Early ones (around fall) then another one in the spring. After conducting the first set of interviews, the admission committee pick out their first 25% of the class. This means your chances of getting in drops even before applying if you wait too long.

I was denied twice in a row. The only thing I did different this year was I applied the day applications came out. I've gotten accepted to every school I applied to because I applied super early

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I have heard that applying early doesn't necessarily make much of a difference but better safe than sorry, right? I will be on the hunt for a better job position and hopefully increase my chances next time around :/ Appreciate the advice, just trying to keep my head up and figure out my next plan

I agree with applying super early, try to get work experience.
That helped me get into a program because I asked detailed questions regarding how to deal with different and difficult populations.
Please retake gres and score as high a you possibly can!
Totally not true- At least for most OT schools that require an interview. OT schools have 2 main rounds of interviews. Early ones (around fall) then another one in the spring. After conducting the first set of interviews, the admission committee pick out their first 25% of the class. This means your chances of getting in drops even before applying if you wait too long.

I was denied twice in a row. The only thing I did different this year was I applied the day applications came out. I've gotten accepted to every school I applied to because I applied super early