I was just suspended

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
it's true but all my friends think i should fess up and get a light sentence.

Get new friends.

Members don't see this ad.

it's true but all my friends think i should fess up and get a light sentence.

Look, you wouldn't even be considering this option if you really had absolutely nothing to do with what happened. You're not giving us the full story.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll take this seriously then. Tell your "friends" to go **** themselves. If your friends are telling you to take the hit for something you didn't do, then those are bad friends. Seriously, I would be extremely suspicious if my friends had access to my computer and then I get in trouble for something like this and then they tell me to take the damage. This is all assuming that the OP is telling the truth of course.

sorry i havent been responding but ive been talking to a few friends and they said it was a prank but no one individual person is going to admit to it. so, they did it from my house.

should i go in there and say "my friend did it but i dont know who?"

i want to take a chance and admit to it and get a lighter sentence. finals are coming up and i want to focus on that.

sorry i havent been responding but ive been talking to a few friends and they said it was a prank but no one individual person is going to admit to it. so, they did it from my house.

i want to take a chance and admit to it and get a lighter sentence. finals are coming up and i want to focus on that.

I wouldn't do that. Seriously, find a way to get a lawyer. and then password protect your computer.

How about secretly recording this confession? Nice friends. :rolleyes:

What part of my (and everyone elses) replies don't you understand?

Cease all non-essential communications with the school, follow the sound advice offered here and consult with a lawyer immediately.

That's certainly one option, I'll give you that; it's the idiot's option, however. You aren't a victim; you have some choice in this matter. Thus, do as you please: it's your funeral.

well one of your friends did it then...but obviously no one wants to admit it since they're going to be the ones headed to the city community college instead...

It sounds like someone is ultimately going to get ****ed here. It shouldn't be you to take the fall so get your lawyer to get you out of this.

So, this was a prank your "friends" did on someone they knew, from your computer? And now they refuse to confess to save you from suspension? Wow. Well, don't be silly as to accept the fall for them. Mention all of their names. One or all of them will suffer the consequences.

As someone mentioned, this story sounds so odd.

I think if my friends did that to me, I'd be telling on them so fast that they wouldn't even see it coming. Seriously, I'm not that forgiving.

I knew something was up..the story just wasn't adding up. OP burn your friend and rat him/her out. Figure out who it was by talking to the other friends individually, and if nobody gives any info, rat them all out. You could do that or just stick with the claim that you have no idea what is going on, get a lawyer, and try to go off the "innocent until proven guilty" clause. Good luck to you...you will really need it.

By the way, there would be absolutely NO way I defend my supposed "friend" who did this to me. It just shows how good of a friend he/she is.

Members don't see this ad :)

wow...what the hell is wrong with you???

You sound like george mcfly from back to the future.

Is your friend biff by any chance??

im a sociable guy and friends are at my house all the time. especially since i bought a ps3. asking them who did it is like asking a killer if he did it or not; it's not going to get me anywhere.

Ask your friends who did it. Maybe someone knows that someone else did it and they'll tell you who. Surely, you must have at least one "friend" who is a real friend and will tell you. Also, check your history in Internet Explorer. Maybe the perp went to some web sites before and after "the crime" and maybe you can deduce who did it.

I'd give the dean a list of all the friends who have access to your computer. If you really want to save your butt, indicate exactly who said that it was a prank, because they know who did it. Let the dean handle it from there. If you really had nothing to do with it, then you should give the dean absolutely every bit of information that you can come up with.

Your friends suck dude. Since they're willing to let you hang for what they did, they're not your friends at all. Hand in the list and get new friends.

This thread has taken an odd turn since I last looked. Dude, if your friends committed the act on your computer and want you to take the rap, they are effectively ruining your future and not what I would call friends. If you are going to admit complicity, in hopes for a lighter sentence, you are even more effectively ruining your future. Find out which friend or friends did it. Either get him to fess up, or get a lawyer and turn him in. It's a no brainer. (And because it's a no brainer, there is no reason you would be seeking advice and I am no longer buying into this story).

It's a no brainer. (And because it's a no brainer, there is no reason you would be seeking advice and I am no longer buying into this story).

Well intentioned posters spend WAY too much time expending energy and dispensing advice to trolls and dopes...the OP is either a troll or a dope - either way, posters are wasting their time here.

funny thing is.... they said... even if i was somewhere else... i couldve, according to them, called a friend from my house and tell him to drop the classes.
I question, no, I laugh at the logic your school is using.

am i missing something? is it that big a deal to drop someone from a class? this warrants community service or something, not a suspension. your school is ridiculous.

and your friends are dinguses for asking you to take the flack.

just admit to it, seriously. anyone as dumb as you and so incapable of thinking for themselves or taking solid advice doesnt need to be in medschool. i hope they are not easy on you.

Of COURSE your friends are going to tell you to take the rap for their stupidity.

If you are serious about your medical career, just hire a damn lawyer!!. I know someone above said this, but make a list of EVERYONE that was there that day and hand it over to this lawyer etc. And please contact your parents..you obviously need the guidance of someone that has YOUR best interest in mind rather than their own.

Best troll ever.

3 pages and the feeding continues, especially with the sincere advice and suggestions. :laugh:

I suggest 1 of 2 things going on:

1. You're making this up for attention.
2. You were involved in it, and now you're attempting to make yourself feel better. Fess up, you're done. No med school for you. I love how pre-allo is the breeding grounds for threads involving "I got busted for something I did, but really not" threads.

Little yo!

I am not buying into your story anymore either, it defies all kinds of primitive logic.

In case it is true, I will leave by sowing in you the fear of the almighty - if you think your school is going to give you a lighter sentence (even if they offer it as such) you are in for a rude awakening son! you understand nada about how these administrative bodies work! you are certainly heading into a world of academic feculence!

May the lord have mercy on your naive soul!...

:love:

I know enough people that would meekly roll over and take this even if they had nothing to do with it that I'm inclined to think it is true. In light of any evidence to the contrary, I am going to assume that the OP is not a troll.

OP, Take the advice, hire a lawyer. If you can't afford that, there is likely a cheap/free legal service somewhere in your city that will have a sliding fee based on income. (Not from the school) GET LEGAL HELP.

This may count as academic dishonesty, and if it shows up on your records that way, good luck getting into ANY post-bacc school.

Someone who knows a lot about computers may be able to look into the computers history and find out who actually did this, I doubt they used your computer JUST to drop this guys class. How many times do you sit down and just do one thing? Every time I try to do that, I spend at least half an hour at my computer. He probably checked his e-mail or something while he was there too, and you can use the user name to find out who it was that did it.

This whole scenario actually sounds very similar to Scent of a Woman. You know in the beginning, when Chris O’Donnell sees some friends messing with the dean’s car but he won’t rat them out and risks getting suspended. Maybe someone has been watching too much WE. Hoo ha!

This whole scenario actually sounds very similar to Scent of a Woman. You know in the beginning, when Chris O’Donnell sees some friends messing with the dean’s car but he won’t rat them out and risks getting suspended. Maybe someone has been watching too much WE. Hoo ha!

lol

am i missing something? is it that big a deal to drop someone from a class? this warrants community service or something, not a suspension. your school is ridiculous.

and your friends are dinguses for asking you to take the flack.
I heart Audis :)

I suspect that the OP did it together with his friends.. :idea:

Well, of course your "friends" are telling you to confess, because THEY DID IT and are trying to get you to take the blame for something they did.

Since apparently your loyalty to these people is stronger than your desire to ensure your future, go ahead and confess....but when you find certain doors closed to you in the future, just remember it's your own fault.

Man, I'm really hoping the OP is a troll and not actually this stupid.

Best troll ever.

3 pages and the feeding continues, especially with the sincere advice and suggestions. :laugh:

2. You were involved in it, and now you're attempting to make yourself feel better. Fess up, you're done. No med school for you. I love how pre-allo is the breeding grounds for threads involving "I got busted for something I did, but really not" threads.

:thumbup: My thoughts exactly.

Yeah...nice twist on the "my friend" threads....

Take the average person, then realize that 50% of people are stupider than that - (George Carlin and others).
The OP is one of those 50%, possibly below the 3rd quartile, especially if he's a troll

This thread calls for....the BANANA!:
:banana:

:horns:

You're getting closer to the truth, but you're still not quite there. What you're leaving out is your role in this whole thing. Did you know what your friends were doing? Were you the one who got the password that was needed to log into the other kid's account?

I don't really expect you to answer that, but here's the obvious point: if you really had no involvement in this, you wouldn't hesitate to turn in your so-called friends. What you're afraid of is that whomever you turn in will turn right around and point the finger at you. If you knew what they were going to do but didn't try to stop them, then you could also be punished for it, which is why I suspect that you're willing to take the lighter punishment to being with.

Anyway, good luck with all that. Like plenty of other people have said, maybe it's time to get a lawyer. If you were using these formus to test how well your "I didn't do it" story would play out, then you have your answer.

Whether you are innocent or an "innocent instigator" one of two things need to happen:

1. Nut up and admit what you did (or didn't do for that matter) or
2. Nut up and turn those smug fcuks that you call your "friends" in.

To me, one of the biggest aspects of a friendship and any relationship for that matter is loyalty. Either you have horrible friends who want you to take the fall, or you are the horrible friend who wants to place all the blame on his friends to exonerate himself. Either way, you will end up alone. Sorry.

According to my buddies: IP spoofing is not easy at all. It is REALLY simple to spoof outoing packets, but any incoming packets would need to be altered on the university server which is difficult. Whatever that means.

There's a big difference between "spoofing" (as your buddies are referring to), and arbitrarily assigning an IP address that is normally used by somebody else on the same network. If somebody else were on the same network as the OP, they could pick the same IP address and just communicate as normal. If the OP's machine was online, there would be a conflict, but that's fairly simple to get around (forge DHCP response packets to trick the OP's machine into changing its IP address, or flood the OP's machine so that it can't respond to the traffic) -- albeit, it is detectable at that point, if the university has any type of monitoring capabilities.

Their statement that the packets need to be altered "on the university server" is not entirely correct. Spoofing involves sending forged outbound packets from an IP address assumed to be someone else's, and then being able to read the response either via a non-switched LAN (i.e., a hub - rarely in use these days) or via ARP poisoning. ARP poisoning is VERY easy - but also very easily detected.

With all that said, it's a hell of a lot of trouble to go to just to mess with somebody's schedule. Would be much easier to do from a public terminal, if someone was trying to hide. Everybody else is probably right about the true cause..

i have one word to summarize this entire thread: wow.

Everyone, stop giving him advice.

Either
1) He is a troll, so we should just ignore him because he isnt all that funny
or
2) Hes an idiot, and shouldnt become a doctor anyway, so let him confess and never get into a US school.

u know im leaning more towards idiot than troll.. I think the OP is just too lazy to really get involved in this whole situation. He/she doesn't think its worth it to pay up for a lawyer, and would rather roll over and confess to a crime he/she didn't committ that stand up and fight the unsubstantiated allegations. As its been said, if the OP isn't intelligent enough to realize how much this could impact his or her academic career, or just doesn't care enough to do anything about it, than he/she doesn't deserve to go to med school anyways.. That cut-throat friend of yours that committed the crime, or the gunner that ratted u out will both be more than happy to take your spot..

Well, of course your "friends" are telling you to confess, because THEY DID IT and are trying to get you to take the blame for something they did.

Since apparently your loyalty to these people is stronger than your desire to ensure your future, go ahead and confess....but when you find certain doors closed to you in the future, just remember it's your own fault.

Man, I'm really hoping the OP is a troll and not actually this stupid.

That's true, on second thought, can anyone really be THAT stupid?! I mean if ur a troll, good job, interesting new story, whether it was fabricated or not, it kept me entertained. But if you're just an idiot, im really really sorry, there's no hope for you.. Thats just sad... I hope you're not that stupid/lazy/ignorant :confused:

dude you dont have friends. you are alone. open your eyes man.

im not trying to be mean, but COME ON

According to my buddies: IP spoofing is not easy at all. It is REALLY simple to spoof outoing packets, but any incoming packets would need to be altered on the university server which is difficult. Whatever that means.

Other than the fact that what you wrote is actually wrong (close, but wrong...incoming packets would need to be altered on the university server sounds like something out of a bad hacker movie...aka gibberish, I think what your roomates were trying to say is that you'd have to intercept the packets the university server was sending as you can't receive incoming packets when spoofing), while IP spoofing wouldn't really be easily useful in this case, STEALING the IP by spoofing a MAC address is ridiculously easy.

Many school networks assign IP addresses to computers based on the MAC address of the NIC connecting to the network. And not only is it easy to figure out someone else's MAC address if you get access to their computer for even a few seconds, the MAC address is sometimes on a label on the outside of some computers, lol.

Then all you'd have to do is run a MAC address changer/spoofer, and connect to the network when the other computer is turned off or asleep or whatever, and the network would just give you that computer's IP address since it sees the MAC address of that computer's NIC. Proceed to do whatever horrible things you want to do and it'll look like it came from that computer even though it could really be any computer.

lol, before I decided I wanted to be a doctor I was a techie, and admittedly a 2-bit hacker who broke his school's security systems for fun :p (although not as thoroughly as my friend who just got a job at Google...he obtained and cracked every single user password for the entire school and then sent paper copies of the decoded username and password file around...of course he got caught but I think it's because someone else ratted him out since several people had copies of the user/pass files and nobody else was ever accused). Man, sometimes I miss those days, especially hilarious was FoolProof security (a windows 95 security program)...one of the older versions could be made utterly useless if you just hit the windows button on the keyboard enough times :laugh: Then they came out with a newer version that wasn't quite as crashy in windows, but was still pretty easily bypassed when the computer started up. Heh, if only computer security was still that awful.

Oh, and before people start accusing me of being a terrible person, I was breaking the security while working for our school's IT department anyway, so I helped them fix the horrible security, and even though I broke some of the user passwords myself I didn't snoop around people's e-mails...too much anyway ;)

wouldnt u have to disconnect the other computer? wouldnt the router recognize a mac address conflict.

Your friends are idiots. Maybe one of them will be lucky enough to be charged with murder, in which case you can tell them to take the deal for manslaughter without talking to a lawyer.

Click here. My old man's an attorney, a damn good one at that, and he did tons of legal aid work when he started out. I know the clinic he worked at had a very low income cutoff for qualification, but you may as well give it a shot.

Not only is taking the heat inane, how are you going to approach this at an interview. "Well, yeah, I was innocent, but pled out because I didn't feel like I could fight it". A 4.0 and 45T won't save your application from the immediate rejection pile. Seriously, if this ever happened to me during an interview for anything, job or whatever, I would end it right there. If you can't have convictions for yourself, how the hell will you have them for others?

Besides, who the hell cares how much the punishment is? The mark on your record is the real issue, and you're going to have it either way. GET A LAWYER!