PairODocs

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2004
96
0
Tobacco Road
Status
As many of us are nearing Thursday and the start of a new phase in our lives, I thought we might talk about what we wish we had known at the start of medical school. Who knows, maybe we can give some anticipatory guidance to some younger folks stumbling across our board.

*I wish I had known not to feel guilty about spending so much time with friends and family.

*I wish I had known to take better care of my body. First year my health was mediocre and so were my grades. When I took care of myself second and third years, my grades were near perfect.

*I wish I had known that EVERYONE is stressed out, and most of the problems our class had in getting along had to do with the stress we were under and how we dealt with it.

*Mostly, I wish I had known as a first year that everything would be okay.... but I know that now!

Good luck all, and may we all have a happy week!
 

shellfish

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2004
58
0
Status
the cool people in my class. i didn't get to know them until 3rd year. my first two years i wondered why there were so many annoying losers in my class.
 

OmedDOC

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2004
138
0
M-I-A
Status
PairODocs said:
As many of us are nearing Thursday and the start of a new phase in our lives, I thought we might talk about what we wish we had known at the start of medical school. Who knows, maybe we can give some anticipatory guidance to some younger folks stumbling across our board.

*I wish I had known not to feel guilty about spending so much time with friends and family.

*I wish I had known to take better care of my body. First year my health was mediocre and so were my grades. When I took care of myself second and third years, my grades were near perfect.

*I wish I had known that EVERYONE is stressed out, and most of the problems our class had in getting along had to do with the stress we were under and how we dealt with it.

*Mostly, I wish I had known as a first year that everything would be okay.... but I know that now!

Good luck all, and may we all have a happy week!

Advice like this is priceless to those of us that are yet to begin...THANKS
 

Le_Donald

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
34
0
Status
LOL OMed, spoken like a true pre-med! Priceless? Come on! Get off SDN and go do something fun while you still can!
 
S

S_R

PairODocs said:
As many of us are nearing Thursday and the start of a new phase in our lives, I thought we might talk about what we wish we had known at the start of medical school. Who knows, maybe we can give some anticipatory guidance to some younger folks stumbling across our board.

*I wish I had known not to feel guilty about spending so much time with friends and family.

*I wish I had known to take better care of my body. First year my health was mediocre and so were my grades. When I took care of myself second and third years, my grades were near perfect.

*I wish I had known that EVERYONE is stressed out, and most of the problems our class had in getting along had to do with the stress we were under and how we dealt with it.

*Mostly, I wish I had known as a first year that everything would be okay.... but I know that now!

Good luck all, and may we all have a happy week!
That's great stuff!

But the thing is, for us medical students who are just starting out, sure we read this, and sure it kinda sunk into our heads BUT we won't realize it until at the end when we are finally secure and happy :)

And then we start with our own "I wish I had known...." and we pass our advice along to the newbies, and they won't listen :)

It sucks, but I dunno, can this cycle change? :idea:

Regards -
 

lightnk102

Wild Type
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2004
531
2
Status
As a coming MS1, I always find it helpful to see what other people ahead of me say. They say hindsight is 20/20! Thanks for the advice. I have a feeling I'll be like the poster above and focus on how many losers are in my class, so I'll have to try and stay positive.

I'm a non-trad who's already learned the importance of work/life balance :) . I do the best in classes when I'm not studying 100% of the time.
 
S

S_R

lightnk102 said:
I have a feeling I'll be like the poster above and focus on how many losers are in my class, so I'll have to try and stay positive.
Were you referring to my post previous to yours? :oops:

Where did I say I was focusing on how many "losers" are in the class?

Regards -
 

hcj13

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2004
22
0
Status
Le_Donald said:
LOL OMed, spoken like a true pre-med! Priceless? Come on! Get off SDN and go do something fun while you still can!
Yo, what is the deal with you attacking every post?!?!?!? yes i am talking about the bad in black too from the surgery thread.
 

Le_Donald

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
34
0
Status
hcj13 said:
Yo, what is the deal with you attacking every post?!?!?!? yes i am talking about the bad in black too from the surgery thread.
Um, I want to save people from being bitter because they shoudl use free time whenthe y can.

Are you being racist in the black post too?
 

lightnk102

Wild Type
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2004
531
2
Status
S_R said:
Were you referring to my post previous to yours? :oops:

Where did I say I was focusing on how many "losers" are in the class?

Regards -
no, it was a general "poster above" comment, referring to any poster who posted before me. in this specific case, i think it was shellfish who mentioned the quote in question :)
 
S

S_R

lightnk102 said:
no, it was a general "poster above" comment, referring to any poster who posted before me. in this specific case, i think it was shellfish who mentioned the quote in question :)
hehehe..okay, that clears things :D

Regards -