I wish the military would stop nagging me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

millepora

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else getting numerous emails and letters in the mail from the military? I am getting one almost every week. I speculate AMCAS must have sold my info...

Anyway, I am not looking to sign over my life anytime soon.

Once you start working for them, every year they own you, they make you tour wherever they want, including overseas.

If you back out of the contract they make you pay large sums of money more than what they paid for you. The financial aid officer that spoke said she had witnessed many cases of this, including someone who now owes almost a million to the military for breaking his contract.

The can decide where they need you. For instance, I had a friend who was going to go into peds and was under the HPSP. Later was told there was no need for peds, and told him he needed to change the the residency he needed to go into.

...just venting I guess. Anyone else have input?

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone else getting numerous emails and letters in the mail from the military? I am getting one almost every week. I speculate AMCAS must have sold my info...

Once you start working for them, every year they own you, they make you tour wherever they want, including overseas.

If you back out of the contract they make you pay large sums of money more than what they paid for you. The financial aid officer that spoke said she had witnessed many cases of this, including someone who now owes almost a million to the military for breaking his contract.

The can decide where they need you. For instance, I had a friend who was going to go into peds and was under the HPSP. Later was told there was no need for peds, and told him he needed to change the the residency he needed to go into.

I get that crap in the mail once in a great while. AMCAS selling your information isn't why you are getting that stuff.

how hard is it to ignore some emails? did you really feel the need to come on SDN and bring up a controversial topic with a post that will inevitably offend some people? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)

Just ignore it for a while. It's just like college/university brochures, they eventually stop flooding your mail box, phones, etc.

I find it odd that they have to nag you like a sweepstakes company...

How does it offend?

I find it odd that they have to nag you like a sweepstakes company...

When I was in high school, they, the marines, were recruiting people and they asked me to come a take a test. I went thinking I was going to do horrible and that when they saw my scores they would finally leave me alone. Turns out I scored a 98/100 which was one the highest test scores they've seen. They didn't leave me alone for months. They'd call my cell phone, house, etc. I just told them that I was going straight to college. They eventually left me alone.

It doesn't stop when you get to med school either; I still get emails from them on occasion.

However, for a lot of people, the military is an attractive way to fund your medical education, and the military needs some way to reach those people. It really doesn't take you that long to throw out your mail or hit the delete button on your email. You can spend that 5 seconds so that some people out there can get information they need.

I personally like to respond politely requesting that I not be contacted again. I do that with all junk mail that does not have a bogus email address. I either respond, or go through the unsubscribe process. Now I have virtually no junk email.

they kept calling me until one day the recruiter asked me if I've done any drugs. I named off every drug I could think of (after a quick smirk) and he politely ended our conversation and I never got a call since!!

:thumbup:

(and no, i don't do or have ever done "drugs")

Haha! Awesome! Thats a good idea.

A simple "No thanks, the military isn't for me." would suffice. The recruiters are doing their job trying to ensure adequate medical care for the soldiers fighting two wars and all the support troops and families. What do you gain by insulting their intelligence?

Members don't see this ad :)
Insulting their intelligence? Where did that come from?

When I was in high school, they, the marines, were recruiting people and they asked me to come a take a test. I went thinking I was going to do horrible and that when they saw my scores they would finally leave me alone. Turns out I scored a 98/100 which was one the highest test scores they've seen. They didn't leave me alone for months. They'd call my cell phone, house, etc. I just told them that I was going straight to college. They eventually left me alone.

Probably a typo but the ASVAB is scored out of 99.

A pre-medical student who would rather tell you he's a drug addict than tell you he's not interested in the military. Yeah, I doubt they figured out that he was screwing with them. The military isn't for everyone and the recruiters know that. Does it really hurt you to be courteous?

A pre-medical student who would rather tell you he's a drug addict than tell you he's not interested in the military. Yeah, I doubt they figured out that he was screwing with them. The military isn't for everyone and the recruiters know that. Does it really hurt you to be courteous?

I didn't say I'm a drug addict. He asked me if I've used drugs in the past. It is their policy (not mine) that once individuals have used certain drugs, no matter how long ago in the past, they are unfit for the military.

Oh, and I told them several times that I was not interested in the military.

It is their policy (not mine) that once individuals have used certain drugs, no matter how long ago in the past, they are unfit for the military.

This isn't a true statement, but whatever. You are free to say whatever you want. My opinion remains the same. A polite no thanks would have been sufficient.

This isn't a true statement, but whatever. You are free to say whatever you want. My opinion remains the same. A polite no thanks would have been sufficient.

I worry about your ability to read. I've stated before now, I gave them several polite no thank-you's and it was not sufficient.

So on what basis are you telling me that a single no thanks would have been sufficient?

Also, for the Air force, the use of any illegal drug besides marijuana is a permanent disqualifier.

For the other branches of the military, LSD-use within 2 years is a disqualifer.

Derived from Department of Defense (DOD) Directive 6130.3, Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, and Induction, and DOD Instruction 6130.4, Criteria and Procedure Requirements for Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction in the Armed Forces.

You do your username a disservice by continuing to prove and espouse your ignorance. So, stop. Thanks.

whoa, I just realized that.. must have been a typo. it was supposed to be "amy bound"

good catch

well then I just realized you were using sarcasm the whole time...

I don't know why anyone would want to join the military.

Because they have not other options in life and have been victimized by cruel, sadistic, recruiters who are pathological liars.

Or that's what I've been told.

I worry about your ability to read. I've stated before now, I gave them several polite no thank-you's and it was not sufficient.

So on what basis are you telling me that a single no thanks would have been sufficient?

Also, for the Air force, the use of any illegal drug besides marijuana is a permanent disqualifier.

For the other branches of the military, LSD-use within 2 years is a disqualifer.

Derived from Department of Defense (DOD) Directive 6130.3, Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, and Induction, and DOD Instruction 6130.4, Criteria and Procedure Requirements for Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction in the Armed Forces.

You do your username a disservice by continuing to prove and espouse your ignorance. So, stop. Thanks.

You are in over your head man, all of us dumb military folks have been lured by the chum and are now circling your dumb ass. Don't quote regulations anymore or even for a moment think you have even a shred of a right to call someone out for doing a "disservice" when it is completely obvious that you have absolutely no idea what the concept of service is. Go back to your lab, you probably do better talking to rats.

You are in over your head man, all of us dumb military folks have been lured by the chum and are now circling your dumb ass. Don't quote regulations anymore or even for a moment think you have even a shred of a right to call someone out for doing a "disservice" when it is completely obvious that you have absolutely no idea what the concept of service is. Go back to your lab, you probably do better talking to rats.

+1

If the there weren't waivers the military would go unmanned.

If you were foolish enough to give them your email or phone number then you're gonna have to deal with the harassment. Yes, some of these recruiters may take their job too far, but just keep your classmates informed about what service may actually entail. You get officer pay while you are in medical school and during residency which helps, but you stay at that same pay throughout your service commitment. In addition your residency options are more limited, and you must do residency at a military hospital.

If you were foolish enough to give them your email or phone number then you're gonna have to deal with the harassment. Yes, some of these recruiters may take their job too far, but just keep your classmates informed about what service may actually entail. You get officer pay while you are in medical school and during residency which helps, but you stay at that same pay throughout your service commitment. In addition your residency options are more limited, and you must do residency at a military hospital.

This is false. You get a stipend while in medical school, officer pay as a resident, and then get paid officer pay + medical specialty pay commensurate with the training that you have as an attending.

You won't automatically do a military residency either. Yes, it's more likely, but some folks do get deferred to civilian residencies.

Being someone who is considering the armed forces for financial reasons, I am a little offended the tones used here.

The program offers a lot of good incentives (including a 20k signing bonus for the air force). Yes, you do sign on for the long haul, but ultimately it is for a good cause.

It might not be for you, but it shouldn't be that hard to hit the delete button. I am sure you get a lot worse spam. Stop complaining.

O K, I guess you're showing us all your sophistication by resorting to the ad hominem.

Good work.

I sure hope your statement isn't an example of you- being all you can be. I kind of get the idea that it is.

For being in the military you guys are certainly sensitive and tender. I suggest you re-read my previous posts and take a deep breath.

If their policy is "Don't ask, Don't tell," isn't it much simpler to say you are uncomfortable with discriminatory practices in the military? You don't have to say you are gay (unless you are), just hint at your hesitation to such a policy and any recruiter will stop calling you.

I wish J Crew would stop nagging me! I DO NOT WANT to spend $150 just to get free shipping!

It's junk mail, who cares?

I have contacted the military a number of times by e-mail when I had some questions. So far I have not had one unwanted e-mail. I guess I'm lucky or something.

Out of curiosity, how is our information obtained? I got recruitment letters in undergrad as well. I politely declined and asked how to be removed. The recruiters usually told me that I'd either have to block an e-mail block or delete them as the emails come since there are multiple recruiters. It's really not a huge deal considering we all have to delete e-mail everyday.

I think the school "has to give" our information or upon matriculation we somehow agree to release of our information, but I'm not sure.

You should've taken my advice and re-read my posts.

Where have I insulted their life choices?
The tone of your post is very obviously negative, like going into the military is awful. Some people would obviously find that critical of their decision to join the military.

It doesn't take a real genius to read between the lines there.

O K, I guess you're showing us all your sophistication by resorting to the ad hominem.

Good work.

I sure hope your statement isn't an example of you- being all you can be. I kind of get the idea that it is.

Right. Actually I wasn't arguing your points, I was just saying your tone towards someone that I personally know has plenty to back up his "service" was disrespectful. Perhaps that wasn't clear, is it now? Thanks.:thumbup:

The tone of your post is very obviously negative, like going into the military is awful. Some people would obviously find that critical of their decision to join the military.

It doesn't take a real genius to read between the lines there.

So, you're pointing to.. nothing.

Ok, I agree - I definitely did not say anything that insulted their life choice to join the services. At all.

If you have to point to my tone and reading between my lines, that just proves my point. You are sensitive and predispositioned to defending your decision to join the service. If you insist, then I'm all for you defending yourself against tones and things between lines that I allegedly didn't write.

My only disagreement is - and again if you re-read my posts above this is crystal clear - someone outright told me that a no thanks would suffice. After I told them that it didn't.

Twice.

So it seems to me, the arrogance is on the part of that person telling me what would've worked, when I'm telling him that a simple no thanks did not work in my case.

I don't have to point to someone's tone or anything between any lines to say that it was I who was called a ******* and a rat-whisperer :)laugh:), and that I shouldn't quote military guidelines for enlistment(?).

thanks.

OP- it gets worse... I am an MSI and I get military emails at least once a month trying to get me to sign up for their program

I can quote whatever I want.

That's actually one of the freedoms that I enjoy that you're helping to protect by serving.

So... Thanks!

Oh, and the shred of right that I have to call anyone out is actually written on a shred of the constitution. Which, again, you've sworn to defend.

So... Double thanks!

So, you're pointing to.. nothing.

Ok, I agree - I definitely did not say anything that insulted their life choice to join the services. At all.

If you have to point to my tone and reading between my lines, that just proves my point. You are sensitive and predispositioned to defending your decision to join the service. If you insist, then I'm all for you defending yourself against tones and things between lines that I allegedly didn't write.

My only disagreement is - and again if you re-read my posts above this is crystal clear - someone outright told me that a no thanks would suffice. After I told them that it didn't.

Twice.

So it seems to me, the arrogance is on the part of that person telling me what would've worked, when I'm telling him that a simple no thanks did not work in my case.

I don't have to point to someone's tone or anything between any lines to say that it was I who was called a ******* and a rat-whisperer :)laugh:), and that I shouldn't quote military guidelines for enlistment(?).

thanks.

You quote military guidelines but forgot to read them all. Drug use is not permantely disqualifying, therefore it can be waived. It is perfectly within the guidelines to waive a disqualifying condition, it happens thousands of times a day. You can't wave around the rulebook and then ignore the pages that don't help your argument.

The purported drug use is not the reason the recruiter stopped contacting you it was your obvious condescending tone. Even recruiters don't like trying to recruit those who deem themselves superior to the world.

You quote military guidelines but forgot to read them all. Drug use is not permantely disqualifying, therefore it can be waived. It is perfectly within the guidelines to waive a disqualifying condition, it happens thousands of times a day. You can't wave around the rulebook and then ignore the pages that don't help your argument.

The purported drug use is not the reason the recruiter stopped contacting you it was your obvious condescending tone. Even recruiters don't like trying to recruit those who deem themselves superior to the world.

I agree with this. Even police officers can be hired if they have used before but just not within a ten year time span. FBI agents as well for pot, but not with other drugs. So it is not a black and white issue.

You're impersonating god if you're going to tell me through the interwebs what type of tone I had while talking to a recruiter years ago. I know how the conversation went so thanks but I don't need you to opine about how you think it went.

Your waiver point is completely valid. Great. Who's bored?