I wish the military would stop nagging me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know why anyone would want to join the military.

To be able to live my values. I am someone who very strongly believes that civilization is a place where everyone has a role to contribute in a positive manner and in return society takes care of its own and invests in people, thus allowing everyone to maximize their potential, self actualize and thus achieve maximum happiness.

The military is a strong community united by a common purpose, of serving something greater than ourselves. It is also the last place in America where you can live out the American dream that built the middle class and included guaranteed employment with good pay and benefits, decent housing, free healthcare, education oppertunities and a pension at the end of a 20-30 year career.

Though not for everyone, (those that just want to get free med school for example) the military is a fantastic choice for some. Personally, it inspired me more than anything else in my life, drove me to change my lifestyle, lose 160 lbs, increased my confidence and made me a healthier, happier and better person.

Making the decision to dedicate my life to serving my nation's service members and their families in a medical capacity has been the best thing I have ever done and I wouldn't have ever considered this path had it not been for a recruiting pamphlet I got in the mail.

To reach people like me, that is why recruiting material gets sent out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
xmsr3: Uniformed Service University of Health Sciences Class of 2014, Army program

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To be able to live my values. I am someone who very strongly believes that civilization is a place where everyone has a role to contribute in a positive manner and in return society takes care of its own and invests in people, thus allowing everyone to maximize their potential, self actualize and thus achieve maximum happiness.

The military is a strong community united by a common purpose, of serving something greater than ourselves. It is also the last place in America where you can live out the American dream that built the middle class and included guaranteed employment with good pay and benefits, decent housing, free healthcare, education oppertunities and a pension at the end of a 20-30 year career.

Though not for everyone, (those that just want to get free med school for example) the military is a fantastic choice for some. Personally, it inspired me more than anything else in my life, drove me to change my lifestyle, lose 160 lbs, increased my confidence and made me a healthier, happier and better person.

Making the decision to dedicate my life to serving my nation's service members and their families in a medical capacity has been the best thing I have ever done and I wouldn't have ever considered this path had it not been for a recruiting pamphlet I got in the mail.

To reach people like me, that is why recruiting material gets sent out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
xmsr3: Uniformed Service University of Health Sciences Class of 2014, Army program

I think you missed the part where he said he was being sarcastic.

Heck, I wish my recruiter would keep nagging me... it's the other way around here!

HOOAH!

strengthofAMEDD.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else getting numerous emails and letters in the mail from the military? I am getting one almost every week. I speculate AMCAS must have sold my info...

Anyway, I am not looking to sign over my life anytime soon.

Once you start working for them, every year they own you, they make you tour wherever they want, including overseas.

If you back out of the contract they make you pay large sums of money more than what they paid for you. The financial aid officer that spoke said she had witnessed many cases of this, including someone who now owes almost a million to the military for breaking his contract.

The can decide where they need you. For instance, I had a friend who was going to go into peds and was under the HPSP. Later was told there was no need for peds, and told him he needed to change the the residency he needed to go into.

...just venting I guess. Anyone else have input?

They tried to make military recruiting illegal in Berkeley, CA. Maybe you should move there... :smuggrin:

To the comment on the first page...I never gave the military a shred of my information. They just take or buy your information from AMCAS or something.

To the comment on the first page...I never gave the military a shred of my information. They just take or buy your information from AMCAS or something.
maybe The Man is just watching you.

rumor has it they know your social security number, address, phone number, what kind of car you drive, etc.

Me and the Man are tight, because the Man is in charge of this economy.

...actually can you technically like the Man but not like the military?

maybe The Man is just watching you.

rumor has it they know your social security number, address, phone number, what kind of car you drive, etc.
This was a good response. I did ask how our information is obtained if we don't give it. Considering a recruitment email came to my school address, information must have been obtained from my school. I just want to know how our school releases our information and under what mandate do they have to.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're impersonating god if you're going to tell me through the interwebs what type of tone I had while talking to a recruiter years ago. I know how the conversation went so thanks but I don't need you to opine about how you think it went.

Your waiver point is completely valid. Great. Who's bored?

I can quote whatever I want.

That's actually one of the freedoms that I enjoy that you're helping to protect by serving.

So... Thanks!

:thumbup:

Oh, and the shred of right that I have to call anyone out is actually written on a shred of the constitution. Which, again, you've sworn to defend.

So... Double thanks!

I might be angry, but at least I didn't cry about it.

:)

After reading through this thread, you sound like the jerk in the argument. Having said that, I don't think you care.

:thumbup: :lol: so true, so true. (i'm allowed to laugh; i am one)

It's actually not true. I have been a registered DEM my whole life and managed to find myself in uniform. I volunteered to go in and to be in the infantry. Many of my peers as junior officers were fairly liberal, however, it's considered extremely poor form to spout off your political opinion while on active duty.

It's a little bit of an over-generalization that the military is some sort of wing of the GOP (okay, a huge generalization). Most enlistees don't give a damn about political parties.

Senior soldiers might be a different story.

At any rate, I know it was a joke, but I just wanted to quash one of my favorite rumors.

It's actually not true. I have been a registered DEM my whole life and managed to find myself in uniform. I volunteered to go in and to be in the infantry. Many of my peers as junior officers were fairly liberal, however, it's considered extremely poor form to spout off your political opinion while on active duty.

It's a little bit of an over-generalization that the military is some sort of wing of the GOP (okay, a huge generalization). Most enlistees don't give a damn about political parties.

At any rate, I know it was a joke, but I just wanted to quash one of my favorite rumors.

Yep, I'm in the AF and am one of the biggest liberals ever. I can't speak to the enlisted folks, but I know that at my officer training I definitely didn't feel out of place because of my views.

It's also not cool, as OldGrunt says, to express your political views on active duty. We all have to support the president in power and focus on the mission, whether we agree with it or not.

it was still amusing-- it poked fun at a common stereotype. FWIW, i don't hate the military either. still laughed at that comment though. it was witty.

it's actually not true. i have been a registered dem my whole life and managed to find myself in uniform. I volunteered to go in and to be in the infantry. Many of my peers as junior officers were fairly liberal, however, it's considered extremely poor form to spout off your political opinion while on active duty.

It's a little bit of an over-generalization that the military is some sort of wing of the gop (okay, a huge generalization). Most enlistees don't give a damn about political parties.

At any rate, i know it was a joke, but i just wanted to quash one of my favorite rumors.

+1

Though I don't don't typically go around shouting my political beliefs from the roof tops and it certainly won't affect my willingness to deploy anywhere in the world and do my job to the best of my abilities, I am a proud lib which is why I am going into the military. Nice to know that I'm not the only one:D

Last edited:
+1

Though I don't don't typically go around shouting my political beliefs from the roof tops and it certainly won't affect my willingness to deploy anywhere in the world and do my job to the best of my abilities, I am a proud lib which is why I am going into the military. Nice to know that I'm not the only one:D

You are far from the only one. The military is basically a cross section of society, so you'll experience all comers in there, from the good, the bad, and the ugly.

And brother, you haven't lived until you've picked up the phone in the middle of the night and the police are on the other line wondering why one of your soldiers was in a hotel room with two under aged girls or why one of your soldiers beat up one of his policeman, or ran a checkpoint, etc.......

I'm strongly considering military medicine. Probably Navy. But definitely not HPSP.

Not sure if that was directed at me or not, but if so, you should check out the military medicine forum as I have never been nor ever will be a military Doc.

I know there are a lot of options besides HPSP.

It was just a tangential comment =). I like the signing bonus after you finish residency option, lol.

IMO (which is worth zilch, because I am not nor ever will be an Army Doc), that's the way to go. Determine your own path, before the military does it for you.

Yep, I'm in the AF and am one of the biggest liberals ever. I can't speak to the enlisted folks, but I know that at my officer training I definitely didn't feel out of place because of my views.

It's also not cool, as OldGrunt says, to express your political views on active duty. We all have to support the president in power and focus on the mission, whether we agree with it or not.

Interesting. How do you feel about the U.S. drone attacks in Afghanistan and Pakistan that blatantly violate international law? or the use of torture or extraordinary rendition?

Not trolling brah, just curious to hear his opinion.

I admire those who serve in the military but I never could because of moral reasons.

As someone who was on the Durand Line, I am a big fan of drones.

I don't think we should torture anyone, brah.

As someone who was on the Durand Line, I am a big fan of drones.

I don't think we should torture anyone, brah.

As someone whose friends' relatives--innocent people--were killed by a drone attack there, I have to say I'm not a big fan. Besides the fact that they are illegal acts.

Agreed on the torture.

As someone whose friends' relatives--innocent people--were killed by a drone attack there, I have to say I'm not a big fan. Besides the fact that they are illegal acts.

Well, no good will come of this.....

Sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
go to the email, scroll down, unsubscribe... if the option's present

Interesting. How do you feel about the U.S. drone attacks in Afghanistan and Pakistan that blatantly violate international law? or the use of torture or extraordinary rendition?
I'm not seeing how the use of drone attacks (and manned attacks) in Afghanstan and Pakistan 'blatantly violate' international law. We are hunting terrorist cells that have openly declared their intentions to take both our freedoms and our lives from us and who on more than one occassion have made good on those threats. We are also doing our best to avoid targeting the innocent, and while sadly we are not always successful I take the position that when civilians are killed in a conflict like this ultimately is was the terrorists that killed them: first by creating the conflict and the by hiding amoung them.

I'm also not sure what body of law you're quoting when you're discussing 'international law'. If you mean a treaty that we agreed to, fine. If you mean a law or resolution passed by some other group of nations without our consent I would argue that they are not the bosses of us.

Torture and extraordinary rendition were used primarily by one administration and mainly with the support of the intelligence community, not the military. It should never have started, it happened mainly over the objections of the military, and now it's stopping.

Is it possible to work in the US military as a physician and be involved only in humanitarian action and treating soldiers? The personal impact you make on people's lives when you're treating the disadvantaged/oppressed also results in the inadvertent redistribution of wealth through medical services. I am making the assumption that US military physicians also treat civilians. I am trying to find the reasoning how personal actions can over-power the inhumane nature of military aggression. I'll add that I am not looking to upset any one. I'd like to understand better how people decide that joining the military will actually bring about some positive change in the world.

There is a significant humanitarian mission in the military, but there is no way to join expecting to do only what you describe as humanitarian activities.

As for why I think that the military can bring about positive change, I just look to history. The use of military force by the United States has largely been a vehicle for brining about positive change in the world, and I'm not just talking about World War II. Anyone who has recently visited Panama, Haiti, Kosovo, or Kuwait will tell you that our military has, even in recent years, done an excellent job of defending the weak from oppression and genocide and defending democracy from would be dictators. All of those countries I mentioned are peaceful democracies living under governments installed by American armed forces in the (elder) Bush or Clinton administrations. I would consider that 'positive change'.

Most Americans also consider it vitally important to defend our own lives and freedoms, not just for our own sake but also because the United States has been such a driving force in creating a free world. That's why you hear relatively few objections to the war against Al Queda in Afghanistan, our military's support of the government in Yemin, our current battles it Somolian pirates, or our even help hunting the Drug lords in Mexico. We have, over the course of history, successfully prevented the expansion of the Soviet Union, checked Japanese imprialism, and annihilated Nazism. While defense isn't exactlly change per se, I would definitely consider it positive.

I think the main objection here is the objection to one war that we have in the middle east. It's a war that was ill advised, terribly run, and sold to the public as war for our defense when that nation was neither planning to attack us nor developing the means to. There were still a few positives that came out of the conflict: the Kurds were freed from violent racial oppression and a democratic government has replaced a dictatorship. However I think that most people realize that we have, in that case, cause significantly more misery than we've cured not even counting the extrodinary cost to ourselves. But I think if you look back over the military history of the United States you'll realize that the Iraqs and Vietnams are the exceptions, not the rule.

Last edited:
Is it possible to work in the US military as a physician and be involved only in humanitarian action and treating soldiers? The personal impact you make on people's lives when you're treating the disadvantaged/oppressed also results in the inadvertent redistribution of wealth through medical services. I am making the assumption that US military physicians also treat civilians. I am trying to find the reasoning how personal actions can over-power the inhumane nature of military aggression. I'll add that I am not looking to upset any one. I'd like to understand better how people decide that joining the military will actually bring about some positive change in the world.

Military docs are supposed to be non-combatants...they carry weapons when down-range, but theoretically they only use them to defend themselves and their patients. Most of what military docs do is treating soldiers and their families, humanitarian missions and preventive medicine.

Don't think of it as the "inhumane nature of military aggression", think of it as saving the life of the 18 year old private who just lost both of his legs in defense of something he believes in and something you benefit from.