I wish...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Block-Buster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
look at his BS article:

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• SalinaJournal_20190825_A01_0.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 387
look at his BS article:

This... is totally inaccurate. Are they really saying the highest hourly wages in the state belong to Anesthesiologists? Head over the EM forum - their compensation is much more based on hourly rates and they invariably demand more than this (much of their higher rates derive from working a much higher percentage of unpopular shifts like evenings/nights/weekends than other docs).

Reactions: 1 user
Garbage in... garbage between the ears... garbage out.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
either its an awful article or theres something more to it that its missing. national average of 128? that's super low. i know my salary is super low and i make 120 a hr. and i imagine it's similar to one of those forbes Highest salary surveys where the only doctor they include are IM and anesthesiology or something. EM probably wasnt even included

The CRNA lobby is behind it because of upcoming debate on legislation to give AAs ability to practice in the state. Just crazy. I don't even know where to begin.

salary not near high enough for it to be worth it. i pay 45% combined tax here. and after becoming attending, obviously lost the subsidized stuff that we'd get in residency. now rent is 1.1k more expensive a month vs residency, food is more expensive, paying for insurance as opposed to getting them for free. any cost for societies/organizations are way more expensive. definitely doesn't feel like salary went up 3x. hours worked is same as residency. i guess its better than nothing

salary not near high enough for it to be worth it. i pay 45% combined tax here. and after becoming attending, obviously lost the subsidized stuff that we'd get in residency. now rent is 1.1k more expensive a month vs residency, food is more expensive, paying for insurance as opposed to getting them for free. any cost for societies/organizations are way more expensive. definitely doesn't feel like salary went up 3x. hours worked is same as residency. i guess its better than nothing
Move. Get a new job.

Reactions: 3 users
How did your salary only get multiplied by 3 ? Assuming you had one of the highest salaries in the country as a resident thats's about 80 K. You make 240 K as a new grad ?!

How did your salary only get multiplied by 3 ? Assuming you had one of the highest salaries in the country as a resident thats's about 80 K. You make 240 K as a new grad ?!

that (240K) would be in to ASSOCIATE professor range at some of the big name NE ivory tower programs.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like the overrated, overpriced, oversaturated, overcrowded, over-AMC’d, underpaid, North East.
Get the heck out.

Reactions: 3 users
Sounds like the overrated, overpriced, oversaturated, overcrowded, over-AMC’d, underpaid, North East.
Get the heck out.
Some of the salary offered up here is ridiculously low. I can't find the appeal of this place so high that one would take a low salary and get taxed more on top of that. Anye NYer wanna show me the appeal?

Maybe move in the future but no plans right now. I dislike driving ! And I like having many choices for delivery for meals

i think every CA3 in my program and around made > 80k (the base for CA3 is 75k+) . The area pays well for residents due to high cost of living, but low for attendings

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I see. Well ...good luck. But if you do look, there are better options with no/minimal driving and lots of food delivery options.

"More choices for food delivery" (The big city) versus lower cost of living/higher salary (double dipping), more money in savings, earlier retirement, etc.(the smaller city).
Everybody has different interests and that is what makes this such a great country.

Maybe move in the future but no plans right now. I dislike driving ! And I like having many choices for delivery for meals

i think every CA3 in my program and around made > 80k (the base for CA3 is 75k+) . The area pays well for residents due to high cost of living, but low for attendings
You're joking right. This might be the worst reason I've ever heard for holding onto a crap job. You could make 400k in a lower cost of living area and have your sushi lunch flown in from Tokyo if you pleased.

Reactions: 6 users

Bro your job sounds ****ty...if your salary only increased by 3x then that means at most you are making 210k per year. Most starting offers I’m getting is at least 350k. You should think about quitting bro

Bro your job sounds ****ty...if your salary only increased by 3x then that means at most you are making 210k per year. Most starting offers I’m getting is at least 350k. You should think about quitting bro
Yeah and according to that mgma elsewhere, that 210 would be way less than 10th %ile!

We pay our new grad CRNAs that for barely a 40 hour week.
Same at our institution actually. Their salary is 200 for a 40hr work-week with excellent benefits and ability to pick up more shifts on weekends for more money.

Same at our institution actually. Their salary is 200 for a 40hr work-week with excellent benefits and ability to pick up more shifts on weekends for more money.

Sounds like they probably get paid about what I do in academia (when you factor in their OT to come close to my 50-55hrs/wk).

Some of those NYC academic places are really insulting in what they pay. It’s even more insulting when you consider the fact that most new hires at those places are grads from the program who can hit the ground running on day 1. There is no effort to recruit and no need to train someone on how the system works. As long as people keep taking those jobs, they’ll keep paying crap wages.

If you really need to be in NYC (I assume the reason is not really so you can have awesome shawarma delivered), you are better off playing the locums scene. There are some dumpy hospitals in the outer boroughs that will pay decently for an anesthesiologist without a criminal record. Even better you can find a private practice or AMC job 30 minutes from Manhattan in NJ/Westchester/LI that pays double what NYU is paying. It’s not the million dollar Midwest jobs, but at least it’s not the insulting pay that the New York academics offer.

The northeast is a fine place to live and practice so long as you stay out of the cities.