I would love some feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DSS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Junior pre-med student. My average gpa is 3.6 and sGPA is 3.6 as well. I have involvement with 3 organizations from freshman year and have been an officer in those clubs. I also started my own organization which focused on volunteer work. I have done a study abroad in Italy over the summer and also did a medical internship over the summer in Peru. I have tutored biology and organic chemistry at my school. I also have done research but no publications or presentations. I eventually quit research as the time commitment was an issue. What are my chances of getting into medical school? I would prefer MD but DO schools are okay too.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
We need more info to give a realistic opinion.

1. MCAT?
2. Annual grade trend?
3. What organizations/clubs?
4. Clinical volunteering?
5. Shadowing?
6. How much research?
7. What else was taking up your time that you decided to quit research?
8. Why do you prefer MD over DO?

Provide that info and folks will be happy to offer guidance.

Also, the medical internship isn't going to help your application, and it could potentially harm it. In a nutshell, if you were actually doing anything with patients, schools see that as inappropriate untrained patient care. If you weren't working directly with patients, they view it as medical tourism.

1. MCAT?
2. Annual grade trend?
5. Shadowing?
6. How much research?

1. MCAT? I am taking it in April.
2. Annual grade trend? I had a 4.0 my first semester and I got 2 Cs the spring semester. After that my grades have consitently gone up and I got all As last semester.
3. What organizations/clubs? One of the clubs is working with university deans to work on university events. Its a elite group of students and we get to work with the Mayor and President of the University. The other club was GlobeMed and I was the fundraising officer. The other club I was a part of is the FTK which raises awareness and money for children battling cancer.
4. Clinical volunteering? I have volunteered around 30 hours at a clinic for the homeless population.
5. Shadowing? I have 30 hours of shadowing and currently shadowing two doctors to get more experience.
6. How much research? 2 years of research and then I got H pylori and I have been anemic so I cant stand in the lab and work with rats for 5 hours. Getting better though.
7. What else was taking up your time that you decided to quit research? I work as a supplemental instructor and it took a lot of time to work with students and exam grading and teaching the material. Teaching organic chemistry is no joke and definitely took a lot of time to make handouts and lectures.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also to add to the medical internship, it was an anemia testing project and we worked with a registered nurse and other local healthcare workers. We designed awareness posters and plans, raised money to provide vitamins to the local population and focused on self-sustanability.

I am a Junior pre-med student. My average gpa is 3.6 and sGPA is 3.6 as well. I have involvement with 3 organizations from freshman year and have been an officer in those clubs. I also started my own organization which focused on volunteer work. I have done a study abroad in Italy over the summer and also did a medical internship over the summer in Peru. I have tutored biology and organic chemistry at my school. I also have done research but no publications or presentations. I eventually quit research as the time commitment was an issue. What are my chances of getting into medical school? I would prefer MD but DO schools are okay too.

You're doing fine for your state school and lower ranked private schools. Get a good MCAT score and you will be good. The other stuff (volunteering, letters, essays, etc.) is all important but really just get a good MCAT score, submit early, and make sure you pick a good amount lower ranked private MD schools and your state school.

You're doing fine for your state school and lower ranked private schools. Get a good MCAT score and you will be good. The other stuff (volunteering, letters, essays, etc.) is all important but really just get a good MCAT score, submit early, and make sure you pick a good amount lower ranked private MD schools and your state school.
how do you know what state I am from? and thank you! What do you consider a good MCAT score?

Come back with an MCAT score and then we can advise.

how do you know what state I am from? and thank you! What do you consider a good MCAT score?
MD means allopathic medical degrees (as opposed to DO degrees). Now we all know you're from Maryland, though! (Since they are private schools, lower ranked schools anywhere across the country are all good, you don't have to only apply to low Maryland programs for private schools).

Yeah I have no idea what state you’re from but I know that many states only have one state school and students from that state are generally have a very high chance of getting an interview.

As far as MCAT, I would take a look at schools you’re interested in, at their average acceptance score. A higher score can make up for a lower gpa. Many schools like to see like a 508-515 or something like that. I don’t really know if you need a specific score but getting a higher one will help you out given the 3.6 gpa. Also my premed advisor never told me this but the mcat is harder than any final or test you’ve ever taken. Study harder for it than you ever have. I will note that a low score in your case it could be an application killer to not get a good score. No pressure :) But seriously, just study hard, take a review course if you can and get good sleep and all of that. You can do it!

Yeah I have no idea what state you’re from but I know that many states only have one state school and students from that state are generally have a very high chance of getting an interview.

As far as MCAT, I would take a look at schools you’re interested in, at their average acceptance score. A higher score can make up for a lower gpa. Many schools like to see like a 508-515 or something like that. I don’t really know if you need a specific score but getting a higher one will help you out given the 3.6 gpa. Also my premed advisor never told me this but the mcat is harder than any final or test you’ve ever taken. Study harder for it than you ever have. I will note that a low score in your case it could be an application killer to not get a good score. No pressure :) But seriously, just study hard, take a review course if you can and get good sleep and all of that. You can do it!

shoutout to premed advisers for coming through once again... but also I mean come on, did you really need your premed adviser to tell you that the MCAT was harder than class exams?? lol

Reactions: 1 users
shoutout to premed advisers for coming through once again... but also I mean come on, did you really need your premed adviser to tell you that the MCAT was harder than class exams?? lol

Yeah, I knew it would be harder given that it was cumulative but I underestimated how much harder it would be. When you’re use to acing everything and only studying material that you’ve seen in the past few weeks or month, final exams are not that bad. The mcat is like 2-5x harder in my opinion, given how they test you and the scores you have to get to be competitive. You’ll see when you take it, or if you have taken it you know what I mean. It’s not a test you just walk in and take. It takes months of studying, reviewing, and learning how to be fast and efficient with your time.

In my option the mcat and the interview are two hardest parts to getting into med school.

1. MCAT?
2. Annual grade trend?
5. Shadowing?
6. How much research?
8. Why do you prefer MD over DO?

Also, the medical internship isn't going to help your application, and it could potentially harm it. In a nutshell, if you were actually doing anything with patients, schools see that as inappropriate untrained patient care. If you weren't working directly with patients, they view it as medical tourism.
I have a 500 MCAT. I have an upward grade trend and now my GPA is 3.7. One of my clubs was volunteer based, another was an leadership organization, student government, medical student organization. I started my own org for volunteering. I have clinical volunteering experience with a clinic for the homeless. I have worked as a scribe in the ED. I have 2 years worth of research experience. I was taking upper division biology classes and labs that took my time along with work. I worked as a tutor for biology and organic chemistry.

With an MCAT of 500 you're looking to apply broadly to DO schools and maybe your state MD schools and a few lower ranked OOS friendly schools if you want to try your luck.

An MCAT of 500 even with strong ECs and a strong GPA is low. If I were you I would plan a retake but don't take it unless you're scoring 510-512+ on AAMC practice exams. Scoring 510+ on the MCAT plus another year of strengthening your ECs will give you a good shot at MDs and a great shot at DOs.

I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
NYIT-Arkansas
UIWSOM
ICOM