IAMA Dental Anesthesiology resident. Feel free to ask me anything!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is a typical day schedule for you in residency??

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, people really should not comment if they are not familiar with the field. Second, the field of dental anesthesiology is not new, it has been around since Horace Wells, and has had established residencies for 50+ years. DAs have had long standing practices all over the country. It is very difficult for an MD or CRNA to come into offices where DAs have developed a long standing relationship of high quality care for decades.

The training between DAs CRNAs and MDs are all different. CRNAs and MDs receive excellent training, but it is different in several ways.

The majority of dental patients requiring our services are pediatric patients, I’m talking little kids. The CODA requirements regarding pediatric training for DAs far exceeds the requirements of MDs and definitely CRNAs. For example, many DA programs incorporate pediatric training throughout the 3year residency. In fact, I exceeded the CODA requirement before I began my 3month rotation at the Children’s hospital. This 3month rotation was with my MD colleagues, this was their only experience with pediatric patients. CRNAs may have a month of training. So, if an MD began their career at a hospital, they may never see a pediatric patient again. Of course there are some MDs who do a 1year pediatric fellowship where they are taking care of super sick babies, but they belong in the hospital taking care of patients who require their training and care. If you think an MD who has only worked in a hospital treating adults would sign up for a day of Peds in a dental office, I think that would be careless and hard to find. I wouldn’t consider it competition either based on what I stated above. It would be foolish to start treating Peds after years of not doing it.

CRNAs are part of an anesthesia team model. The students are trained with a CRNA and an attending anesthesiologist. They often work with an Oral surgeon in dental because they are cheaper than a DA. Again they likely lack the experience with pediatric patients and office based experience to compete with the bread and butter of DAs.

DAs really are the experts in nasal intubations, again because of our training with dental. We literally do hundreds of them during residency where an MD and CRNA may do a dozen-20nasal intubations. MDs are not comfortable doing nasal intubations, it is always a fiasco in a hospital setting. Often they will opt to do an oral intubation if they can. In fact at the children’s hospital some would refuse to do nasals for dental based on kids being young.

DAs also get much more experience with special needs patients, another patient population requiring our services. They are very difficult to treat and many MDs and CRNAs just don’t have the same training and experience with this patient population. I treated hundred of special needs patients during my residency.

Finally, we have training in office based anesthesia. This is not part of MDs and CRNAs training. Again, if you think MDs and CRNAs are excited to roll into an office solo with out any auxiliary support you are mistaken. They are used to the hospital setting and having a support team. Our training incorporates independent practice in the office setting.

DAs are doing well. The training is very vigorous and a demanding residency. Private practice you are solo, it can be intense at times. Not to be taken lightly, I believe the field requires highly intelligent and motivated providers. Personally, I think if you struggle doing well academically in dental school, anesthesia may not be the most appropriate field, think about it.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
What is a typical day schedule for you in residency??

This really depends on which rotation you're at.

Right now I am on our dental school rotation where we run sedation and GA cases for the omfs/pedo/endo/perio/phobic clinics. Typical day right now is we start at about 6:30am and finish around 4pm with about 2 cases a day.

In the hospital your schedule is also very dependent on the rotation you're on as well. Usually over there you start at about 5:30am, and finish around 3pm-6pm. There are also overnight call shifts that you can be on as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
whats the gpa, and class rank requirements for most programs? Do we need to take cbse or ADAT before applying?

Reactions: 1 user
Ive worked at two private practice peds clinics as a dental assistant and both clinics use dental anesthesiologists and they have to book them 6 months to a year in advance. The clinics were in Austin and Sugar Land, a suburb in Houston. The dentists told me the DAs charge 1k an hour so I'm sure they're doing great financially and the whole "niche" thing isn't really a problem, at least in Houston/Austin.

Reactions: 2 users