iason: more questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dr. Henderson,
As I said before I am interrested in possibly going into a medical career. The problem is, is that I have no knowledge of what I need to do to prepare myself or what is expected of me. I have about 2 years community college experience and have just transfered to a university to get a 4 year degree (current major Art, but I will probably change it). I have always been interrested in medicine, but I was intimidated by all the math and sciences required (I have gotten over that though).
My Questions:
-Where do I start? How do I go about getting a job at a hospital or a research project and when should I start worrying about this (for experience and a better chance of getting into a good medical school)?
-Is it neccessary to have huge amounts of extracurricular activities (such as Student Government, Dudley Doright Society, etc...)?
-What is a good Pre-Med major (I was thinking Biology...)?

Since I have not been planning this, I really have no idea how to start. I need to talk to my school's advisor, but I thought I would get some advise from other people first before I go head first into this.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Getting a job in the hospital is probably not wise and getting a meaningful job there is really unrealistic (despite the portrayal of the medical student in the movie "Gross Anatomy"). Most of the hospital jobs you can get as a premed, if you can, will not mean anything. Volunteering at a hospital has much more meaning to you, your carreer, admissions committees, and society.
As for research, ask your premedical advisor who does what research at your school. Get a list of name and go around to each one and tell them you are interested in helping out in the lab, just for the experience. If you hook up with a good professor, he/she will take you under his/her wing and may even help you set up your own project. Biology professors are usually very open to students doing these kind of things! The research does not have to be related to medicine... admissions committees and interviewers will simply take interest in the fact that you did research. (Often, if you are not in a larger university, medically related projects aren't available anyway.)

Tons of extracurricular activities are not necessary, and I do not recommend getting involved in a ton of them right after you transfer anyway... 4 year college is often very different from 2 year college, especially when it comes to the time it takes to make a good grade.

Biology is a fine premed major, and one of the most common. Doesn't really matter what the major is as long as you have all the pre-requisite classes!

------------------
Jim Henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net