Iaupr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyeluveyez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wondering what schools will accept Ts 270 and AA 280..please share stories if you have been accepted in any optometry schools and please tell what was the strength of your application other than the OAT scores. I don't feel like going through the torture again I had today...:( I'm not really good with standardize tests)

and one more question for those who have already taken the OAT, did you have a calculator during physics and general chemistry.. I was frustrated when I just found out there was no calculator in the middle of gen. chemistry section.. I was so pissed, I didn't know!

Will IAUPR accept such OAT scores, I was interested in applying there regardless of what people have been saying ..please let me know what you guys think :)

Members don't see this ad.

The only section that allows you to use a calculator is quantitative reasoning, and even there it's only a standard 4-function calculator on the computer screen. PR might be the only school that will accept your scores :( what is your GPA?

You really shouldn't need a calculator for the kind of material that was on the chemistry and physics sections - it's designed to be pretty simple algebra. And like csandova said, the calculator that you do get for the QR section is nothing fancy so it probably wouldn't have done much good anyway. I'm pretty sure most OAT study guides mention the fact that you only get a calculator for the QR section, so it shouldn't have been a surprise.

If I were you I would take it again - now that you know what to expect hopefully the second attempt will be much better! How did you study for it? If you didn't watch Chad's videos, I would definitely recommend doing so - he breaks it down into the things you need to know when it comes to chemistry and physics, and I found his QR videos helpful, too. He does everything without a calculator so you can practice not relying on it for everything. I also found that the Crack the OAT software was helpful because you can practice using the computer based format and they have video explanations. And if you didn't use Destroyer, buy it. The gen chem problems kicked my butt but it really paid off in the end. If you don't want IAUPR to be your only option, I'd take the OAT again unless the rest of your application is incredible. Good luck!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I never saw anywhere that you could use a calculator on any part of the test while studying. So, glad I went through the tutorial---or I wouldn't have used one at all on QR. It took forever to use with the mouse though since they don't let you use the keyboard. Sadly, some questions I still needed more time and just had to answer even though I knew how to do them. Seems like an extra 10 minutes on that section would have been real helpful. :p bet some of you would agree!

I never saw anywhere that you could use a calculator on any part of the test while studying. So, glad I went through the tutorial---or I wouldn't have used one at all on QR. It took forever to use with the mouse though since they don't let you use the keyboard. Sadly, some questions I still needed more time and just had to answer even though I knew how to do them. Seems like an extra 10 minutes on that section would have been real helpful. :p bet some of you would agree!

Ditto! I ran out of time on EVERY SINGLE quantitative reasoning practice test I ever took! Of course, I also ran out of time on the actual OAT :thumbdown:

I agree!! Wish they would let us use actual hand-held calculators. Just the simple scientific ones would have been 100 times better than the ones provided to us on the computer screen. Using the mouse to click on each number was really time consuming...

Hey! I was wondering if you ever heard back from the schools you applied to? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what was your GPA?

Was wondering what schools will accept Ts 270 and AA 280..please share stories if you have been accepted in any optometry schools and please tell what was the strength of your application other than the OAT scores. I don't feel like going through the torture again I had today...:( I'm not really good with standardize tests)

and one more question for those who have already taken the OAT, did you have a calculator during physics and general chemistry.. I was frustrated when I just found out there was no calculator in the middle of gen. chemistry section.. I was so pissed, I didn't know!

Will IAUPR accept such OAT scores, I was interested in applying there regardless of what people have been saying ..please let me know what you guys think :)

On the Website it does say that it requires a 300 at least, but I personally got in with a 290. The reason being that I had the chance to tell them that's scores were not that good since I only took the required semester of organic chemistry and I was halfway through physics, which brought my overall score down by quite a lot. However, what I saw was that they looked more at the bio and gen chem scores plus the reading comprehension, which makes sense cause I have been here a semester and we haven't done any extensive physics or organic chemistry. In addition, although my score was low for physics on the OAT, my grades in both semesters turned out to be A's so I think they saw that I was good in that area. I would say, if you have the chance, take it over and study in the areas where you were the weakest with the online practice test found on the website. But if you have a strong gpa, with grades being good in the required classes, and a good personal statement, you'll be fine. And my last piece of advice is font listen to what people say about the school. This is a doctoral program so you pretty much have to teach yourself everything, so it's going to be just like any other school. If youre on your stuff, you'll pass boards, which is the most important thing. In the end, optometrists I have spoken to dont have anything negative to say about here and if you pass boards, then you can find a job. Almost all the upper classmen I talk to have gotten plenty of job offers, some are even in their third year!

On the Website it does say that it requires a 300 at least, but I personally got in with a 290. The reason being that I had the chance to tell them that's scores were not that good since I only took the required semester of organic chemistry and I was halfway through physics, which brought my overall score down by quite a lot. However, what I saw was that they looked more at the bio and gen chem scores plus the reading comprehension, which makes sense cause I have been here a semester and we haven't done any extensive physics or organic chemistry. In addition, although my score was low for physics on the OAT, my grades in both semesters turned out to be A's so I think they saw that I was good in that area. I would say, if you have the chance, take it over and study in the areas where you were the weakest with the online practice test found on the website. But if you have a strong gpa, with grades being good in the required classes, and a good personal statement, you'll be fine. And my last piece of advice is font listen to what people say about the school. This is a doctoral program so you pretty much have to teach yourself everything, so it's going to be just like any other school. If youre on your stuff, you'll pass boards, which is the most important thing. In the end, optometrists I have spoken to dont have anything negative to say about here and if you pass boards, then you can find a job. Almost all the upper classmen I talk to have gotten plenty of job offers, some are even in their third year!

Last edited: