(IB) Courses in High School?

Chanze3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I am currently a sophomore in high school totally (not *AHEM*) ready for the IB the following semester!
Ever since I was young I've aspired to become a doctor and recently I've been a little worried about grades and IB courses.
I love science and maths. Not too good in the humanities and language part of my classes but that is not a big concern for me right now.

At first, I was deciding to take:
English A SL
Spanish B Ab Initio
Chemistry HL
Biology HL
Mathematics HL
Psychology SL

My science courses were chosen this way because I feel like they would be more worth in the long run for medical school. I'm wondering if I can just take HL Maths as a substitute for HL Physics in this scenario. If I were to study engineering in college (undergrad), must I take HL Physics? I love all the sciences equally but I feel like Biology tempts me more than Physics does.

If anyone knows, is engineering a good fallback option for med school if, in the long run, I decide not to go to medical school and just stay with a bachelors engineering degree for a job? Since tuition fees for medical school are quite high and it would probably be an uphill battle for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry... just curious but what do HL and SL stand for?

I'm a senior in IB diploma and here's my recommendation:

It looks really solid like you are preparing a good liberal arts mix with a science ed. The only thing I can say is that you should try to substitute one of those classes for a history. You're going to need to take that to test. Also if your school doesn't offer psychology HL substitute that class your senior year for a physics. Really what you do in HS doesn't matter in terms of your major, unless you test out of something you'll still have to take it again in college for your major (also i would watch out for premed path with the engineering major)

But yea looks good, try to throw in physics if you can. Drop a lunch if you have to because it'll be worth it, I dropped my lunch to take physics and chem at the same time and it was the best choice I've made in school thus far.

IB really kicks in Junior; it's actually the hardest year. At least, that's how it was at my school. Anyway, I really think you need to take a history in there somewhere, like Chemistry has said.