ICO Externships??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oligator

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently heard through the grape vine that ICO makes students do an externship at a Walmart?! Is this really true???

Members don't see this ad.

lol oh no, the horror...

Anyone have a constructive comment who cares about receiving the best education possible filled with pathology, as opposed to pumping out quick routine exams??

Members don't see this ad :)
So are you saying there is validity to ICO having there students work at a walmart?

I can't seem to dig up the dirt on their website which in a way might construe false advertising if some lawyers jumped on it. But there are definitely rumors going around:

Optometric Externships

A past employee of mine who is a 3rd year ICO student has told me that the school has made a change in their clinic rotations. Rotations will now be mandatory at the local Walmart and Lenscrafters in the Chicago vicinity. My understanding is that up to 25% of their clinic experience will come from a retail environment. I have some strong concerns here:

1) Are schools finally selling out to the highest bidder. Donations must be piling in from commercial retailers to get this "free" labor and the groundwork for a foundation of a career in commercial optometry.

2) Do any of you have any concerns or information regarding this? I for one am not comfortable with our new OD's obtaining their clinic experience in a retail setting.

Interested in everybodies opinion.​

Has anybody actually thought of calling ICO and asking instead of perpetuating a rumor?

current ICO student here. we're not required to work at a walmart for externships - in fact we have no walmart or lenscrafter sites on our externship website. we get a choice of 1 VA, 1 primary care/contact lens site, and 1 ocular disease/bv/peds site. our last quarter is at the student clinic and we're required to fulfil speciality rotations there in there such as contact lens, peds, advanced care, urgent care, and low vision etc

Reactions: 1 user