ICU required for anesthesia apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Inygma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am an almost 4th year medical student at a D.O. school and I recently decided on Anesthesia. I was wondering if an ICU rotation is required for applications as my school does not require it for a rotation. I am filling most of my pre-application 4th year rotations with anesthesia rotations to get letters and I am not sure I'll have a space for ICU (unless of course I need one).

Members don't see this ad.

It is not absolutely required. It is sad, though, that one could finish medical school and never get significant exposure to intensive care the entire time.

Reactions: 6 users
Thank you for your response. I definitely agree and will 100% do a rotation in ICU during my 4th year. I just wasn't sure if I needed to front-load it for applications or if I can do it after interview season!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response. I definitely agree and will 100% do a rotation in ICU during my 4th year. I just wasn't sure if I needed to front-load it for applications or if I can do it after interview season!
The core rotations are what matter. An ICU rotation, or lack of, is of no relevance.

The most important stuff is test scores.

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t be that resident who’s never rotated in an ICU and never presented in that format. It’s painful to be around, and happens more than we’d all care to admit. Your school should require at least a 2-4 rotation in one.

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t be that resident who’s never rotated in an ICU and never presented in that format. It’s painful to be around, and happens more than we’d all care to admit. Your school should require at least a 2-4 rotation in one.

IMO all med schools should have 1 week MICU during medicine, 1 week SICU during surgery, 1 week PICU during peds. Then a 1 month required sub-I in MICU or SICU during MS4.

Reactions: 1 users
It seems like you could easily carve out a little time for ICU. Maybe take a small piece away from psych/family med/outpatient clinic/etc. I agree that ICU is a valuable experience, the sooner you get exposed to it the better as a medical student.

IMO all med schools should have 1 week MICU during medicine, 1 week SICU during surgery, 1 week PICU during peds. Then a 1 month required sub-I in MICU or SICU during MS4.
That's great and all but then how would the schools fit in all the multi-professional enrichment experiences so that med students in their short white coats can learn to submit to all the nursing, dietary, physical therapy, and janitorial students in long white coats?

Reactions: 6 users