ID/CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClinPathDO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious what everyone thinks about ID/CC, will it become a more popular tract after COVID-19?

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious what everyone thinks about ID/CC, will it become a more popular tract after COVID-19?
God I hope COVID-19 doesn't last long enough to make ID/CC more popular.

Reactions: 4 users
I think the question remains whether ID's input is truly helpful for this disease. Most effective rendered care, from what I can tell, has been supportive and not antimicrobial in nature (with chloroquine being the only possible exception). This could change, though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
ID/CC doesn't make sense. ID doesn't bring much to most ICU admissions while mastery of the vent and respiratory issues are front and center. Most groups will want you to take pulm consults at the same time when you cover the MICU. No group is set up to deal with ID patients in the clinic. Maybe you can carve an academic niche, but you're still looking at a pay cut just by staying academics.

You gotta pick a lane. No one wants unicorns in real life, they want dependable people that can fit into their group's structure.

ID/CC makes perfect sense if you just want to do ICU full time. Might be difficult to find a job doing both unless you create one by combining two part time jobs. We need ID consults in the ICU so it would be good to be already trained in this.
Sure pick a lane you enjoy and two if that’s what you want. Those pulm/CCM docs picked two lanes as well didn’t they?
The pulmonary groups have an advantage in this country for sure but the tide is changing with lots of hospitals looking for full time CCM docs of any background to do 24 hour coverage. The pulm groups won’t want you for sure, but the pure CCM groups and hospitals will.
Don’t be dissuaded. Critical care jobs are plenty right now.

Reactions: 1 users
Yea I think the combo makes sense. I am currently a clinical pathology resident, job market isn't so great. If I were to do a second residency in the future; I think medicine to ID/CC is the way I would go. I am doing a medical microbiology and transfusion medicine fellowships and I am going see how it goes first.

Yea I think the combo makes sense. I am currently a clinical pathology resident, job market isn't so great. If I were to do a second residency in the future; I think medicine to ID/CC is the way I would go. I am doing a medical microbiology and transfusion medicine fellowships and I am going see how it goes first.
Will you need to do an IM residency...?

Meh, I don’t think ID would add much to the average intensivist. I need ID to comment on HAART, TB meds and weird stuff. I almost never call ID, and that’s coming from an EM background, not even medicine. I’m not saying ID isn’t valuable, but I am saying that a good intensivist should be able to handle 95%+ of the ID issues in the ICU. The extra time in training wouldn’t be enough added value.

I don't know if you read these articles already but they discuss ID/CC training from an ID perspective. One is specifically a survey sent to ID/CC attendings to see their practice setups, satisfaction, etc.

I've also thought about doing ID/CC, but my worry is that when I read the last paper, only about 50% of those polled were able to find a job doing both ID and critical care, and if you're just going to end up 100% working in the ICU it probably makes way more sense to have just done pulmonary instead.

I don't consult either very much, but I consult ID in the ICU way more than I consult pulmonology. FWIW

HH