ID Fellowships for non-IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDMONT

Reaction score
I am a current 3rd year and I love ID/HIV care but also OBGYN. I know there is the IDSOG option for ID training for OBGYNs but only 4 of those. Anyone know of other routes to be able to practice ID in some capacity as an OBGYN? Or more broadly ID fellowships open to non-IM trained MDs?

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know you typically need to complete an IM residency to apply for an ID fellowship. That being said it’s an incredibly non competitive fellowship (reimbursement is less than that of primary care for starters), so idk - you could ask your ID PD at your medical school. However I imagine there’s some ACGME rule about it.

Also from a purely practical standpoint you need good IM training to learn and practice ID. Frankly, OB/Gyn (with perhaps the exception of Gyn/Onc, which is still in its own niche) does NOT take care of sick patients. When they consult me on the pregnant patient with rheumatic MS or moderate hypertension they’re very much out of their element. It’s not a dig against them, it’s just that this isn’t what they train to do. IM takes care of truly sick patients and the bang for your buck is going to be in managing those crazy sick septic patients with multidrug resistant organisms or managing the neutropenic fever with fungal endophthalmitis or the guy with valvular endocarditis and an aortic root abscess etc.

I would think long and hard about what you want to do and like to do - and make a choice

Reactions: 1 user
Go read an ID consult or progress note. Better yet, sit down and talk with anyone in ID and its very obvious that they know a lot of general medicine. IM is the tapestry on which the ID quilt is made.

Reactions: 3 users