ID job markets and compensation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cutefamilydog

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the pandemic and the drop in ID compensation, what is the typical salary in academic center vs private practice for ID physician for pure ID position (not doing primary care)? Is the job market pretty saturated in big city? Are most ID physicians practicing both primary care and ID at the same time?

Members don't see this ad.

Most ID physicians practice pure ID. Those also doing primary care generally do so for persons living with HIV.

Academics: 150-200k
Hospital employed: 250k
Private practice: 300-400k*

*After a buy in period which is usually 3 years at which time the associate may be offered partner. Salary during the buy in period is generally 200k.

There is also geographic variation to these figures. Higher compensation typically in the Southern states and lower in the NE. As in many specialties, job market in major metro areas is tight. There are always openings in major cities these days, however you may not be able to choose the city. If you are willing to go anywhere, you could probably land a position in a tier 1 city if this is what you desire.

Reactions: 1 users
Current Fellow here

Job Market on fire in my City (Midwest large city, not Chicago). 3/4 private groups hiring, one graduate signed with one of them for ~285 +RVU Bonus for 1-2 days a week of clinic and 1-2 weeks of call and inpatient per month

VA was hiring at 225, 1 day of clinic a week and 1 week in 5 rounding and on call, with some scattered other IP/IC/Stewardship/ Med Ed stuff shared between the 5 other faculty

University system was hiring like 3 people, not sure exactly how much but estimate 215-230 depending on what you sign up for. 2 days a week of clinic when not rounding, and then ~20? weeks a year of rounding where you take call a few times a week. University flexible and you can negotiate research time or other interests.

County was also hiring -

In summary ID Job Market in Midwest is on fire and pay is good for the chill lifestyle the job affords.

Many of My Faculty work what would be considered part time jobs where I did my residency and are considered full time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Current Fellow here

Job Market on fire in my City (Midwest large city, not Chicago). 3/4 private groups hiring, one graduate signed with one of them for ~285 +RVU Bonus for 1-2 days a week of clinic and 1-2 weeks of call and inpatient per month

VA was hiring at 225, 1 day of clinic a week and 1 week in 5 rounding and on call, with some scattered other IP/IC/Stewardship/ Med Ed stuff shared between the 5 other faculty

University system was hiring like 3 people, not sure exactly how much but estimate 215-230 depending on what you sign up for. 2 days a week of clinic when not rounding, and then ~20? weeks a year of rounding where you take call a few times a week. University flexible and you can negotiate research time or other interests.

County was also hiring -

In summary ID Job Market in Midwest is on fire and pay is good for the chill lifestyle the job affords.

Many of My Faculty work what would be considered part time jobs where I did my residency and are considered full time.

Doximity has been really accurate with job market. Before you consider New York at the insultingly low pay of 275 in a high cost city. Compare that to network hospitals in the midwest that are non-profit and pay substantially better, offer bonus and cover moving costs. And not like it's permanent.
The ID market is great if you know where to look.

Reactions: 3 users