I'd love advice about my situation.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Conflagration

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, pre-osteo! I'm a rising junior, and I wanted your all's assistance.

Right now, I have an sGPA of a 3.28. A major anchor of that GPA is a fat C I made in Organic I my freshman year.

If I take the class and ace it, the AACOMAS sGPA would then be a 3.6, plus any positive movement from the rest of my math classes.

My cGPA is nothing to write home about, also hovering at around a 3.3. I have math research under my belt, which I think is something that would help me stick out.

There's only one DO school in my state; and I go to it as an undergrad currently. I like the location; there's cheap housing that is technically off campus; so if I got in, I wouldn't even need to move.

I have yet to take Orgo II, which is another reason why I'm thinking about retaking Orgo I. I still have physics to go, and probably another biology class.

So, pre-osteo, what do you think? Should I retake? Passing Organic was hard enough as a freshman, which is why I'm a little apprehensive about taking it again.

I don't have an MCAT score, sorry. Ideally, I'd want to take the older version in December or January, but either way I tend to do well on standardized tests.

Any commentary is appreciated! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, pre-osteo! I'm a rising junior, and I wanted your all's assistance.

Right now, I have an sGPA of a 3.28. A major anchor of that GPA is a fat C I made in Organic I my freshman year.

If I take the class and ace it, the AACOMAS sGPA would then be a 3.6, plus any positive movement from the rest of my math classes.

My cGPA is nothing to write home about, also hovering at around a 3.3. I have math research under my belt, which I think is something that would help me stick out.

There's only one DO school in my state; and I go to it as an undergrad currently. I like the location; there's cheap housing that is technically off campus; so if I got in, I wouldn't even need to move.

I have yet to take Orgo II, which is another reason why I'm thinking about retaking Orgo I. I still have physics to go, and probably another biology class.

So, pre-osteo, what do you think? Should I retake? Passing Organic was hard enough as a freshman, which is why I'm a little apprehensive about taking it again.

I don't have an MCAT score, sorry. Ideally, I'd want to take the older version in December or January, but either way I tend to do well on standardized tests.

Any commentary is appreciated! :D

As per @Goro you should retake all C/D/F grades since AACOMAS allows for grade replacement. Retake the course. Before you do, evaluate your old exams and compare them to exams now. Are you taking notes differently? How have your studying habits changed since freshman year? Once you are able to realize this change, apply it to organic. Get as much help as possible to get an A in this class and don't let the "scariness" of the course sway you from working as hard as possible to do well in the course. :)

Organic chem is a beast for sure!

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I found Khan Academy does Organic Chemistry and it makes so much more sense to me now. The first time I treated the course like a high school class and relied on the grace of God to get curved up to a C.

Now I'm a little more levelheaded about classes overall. I find that I respect them a lot more than I did initially.

My notes have changed to accommodate my style; I was diagnosed with a learning disability as a younger child, but I could rely on my rote memory for classwork until college. I took notes and never looked at them ever again; which I know now is foolhardy.

I have C's in English classes as well (I'm on the ASD spectrum and, rather unsurprisingly, academic writing is not my forte). Is that less of an issue?

It is a beast! The videos help massively though.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I haven't taken it yet. ^^;

I have higher level English classes that I did better in; a B in British Lit and an A in an Honors course that also counts as an English class. Do they pick the freshman English classes or the higher ones? o.o

for orgo check out david klein organic as a second language, I last took organic 12 years ago, I read the books, did the problems and I understand orgo more now than when i was in ug

for orgo check out david klein organic as a second language, I last took organic 12 years ago, I read the books, did the problems and I understand orgo more now than when i was in ug

You're a pharmacist? Wow! That must've really worked well then. :D

My friend wants to be a pharmacist and has had similar problems in Orgo II. I'll have to let her know.

Thank you again!

You're a pharmacist? Wow! That must've really worked well then. :D

My friend wants to be a pharmacist and has had similar problems in Orgo II. I'll have to let her know.

Thank you again!
Well it is a big misconception that pharmacy is focused on chemistry, pharmacists today are trained mostly to understand disease states, signs and symptoms, how to treat with medications and obviously adverse effects, dosing, contraindications, etc on medications

We do some chemistry but not as much as you would think

How interesting. Thanks for clearing up the misconception. :)

I'll look for that book.