I’d love some advice on my next step

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fewturmomdoc

Reaction score
Hey all,

Non trad mom here! I’m graduating with my bachelors this May, likely with a 3.6 gpa . However, due to my academic past (esp grades 7-10 years ago) , my gpa for applications are 3.018. My trend is upward, but I do have a mixture of Bs and As. My extracurriculars need strength as well, so I’m at a cross roads and I’d love some advice. Here’s what I have :
1) graduate, take a year to work in the clinical realm , strengthen the ECs and study for my MCAT. Apply in the 2023 cycle, specially to school who take special consideration to the X last number of credit hours, etc.

2) take a grade enhancement route ; specifically Geisinger Commonwealth MBS does not require an MCAT. Complete this in a year (start in July), take my MCAT at the end and hopefully get my apps in time for 2023 cycle. If anyone has opinions on this program let me know.

3) study for my MCAT, take it this year and apply to other SMPs that require an MCAT.

4) take post bacc classes at my university and apply in 2023. Work on my ECs , MCAT etc. i have already messed with the calculator and it will not move my gpa much at all, however. Perhaps 0.5 point with good grades.

Any help , advice, stories, personal experiences are SO appreciated and I am all ears! I’m trying to make the best decision for myself and for my family. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

Non trad mom here! I’m graduating with my bachelors this May, likely with a 3.6 gpa . However, due to my academic past (esp grades 7-10 years ago) , my gpa for applications are 3.018. My trend is upward, but I do have a mixture of Bs and As. My extracurriculars need strength as well, so I’m at a cross roads and I’d love some advice. Here’s what I have :
1) graduate, take a year to work in the clinical realm , strengthen the ECs and study for my MCAT. Apply in the 2023 cycle, specially to school who take special consideration to the X last number of credit hours, etc.

2) take a grade enhancement route ; specifically Geisinger Commonwealth MBS does not require an MCAT. Complete this in a year (start in July), take my MCAT at the end and hopefully get my apps in time for 2023 cycle. If anyone has opinions on this program let me know.

3) study for my MCAT, take it this year and apply to other SMPs that require an MCAT.

4) take post bacc classes at my university and apply in 2023. Work on my ECs , MCAT etc. i have already messed with the calculator and it will not move my gpa much at all, however. Perhaps 0.5 point with good grades.

Any help , advice, stories, personal experiences are SO appreciated and I am all ears! I’m trying to make the best decision for myself and for my family. Thank you.

What ECs do you have already? Have you gotten any clinical experience and/or shadowing yet?