Idaho State Univeristy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cashew2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got my acceptance letter to ISU! But I don't know much about the program and facilities because I couldn't go to their open house last Saturday. There aren't many threads on here about ISU and so I wondering if any one has any opinions on their program and facilities. I have to decide quickly because I have an acceptance to another school and their deadline is coming up. I think I am leaning more towards ISU but any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I know quite a bit about the program.. did you get an email or a regular usps notification?

ISU's facilities are in an old dorm building and so it's not the most modern. Cost of living is dirt cheap and i know serveral people who have transitioned to instate tuition after the first year. I hear the faculty is chill. They have a clinic in the building so you get to work with patients right there. Advantages: cheap disadvantages: living in pocatello prob not the coolest and it's older facilities.

I got it in the regular mail.

Do you know about the caliber of students that come out of ISU? I know some programs are notorious for not producing very well rounded students. I haven't heard anything about ISU though. Also do you know much about their internship opportunities? Money really isn't an issue because the other school I got into is about the same cost, although with the instate after a year that would make it quite a bit cheaper. I do like how they have an on site clinic and I actually love Pocatello. In fact maybe I will just ask your opinion on both schools because I see you are from Utah and I remember on another thread that you said that you got an interview. I also got into Rocky Mountain. I did like their program. It is just really hard to decide because I haven't been to ISU. I was hoping to not have to make a decision like this but I just got rejected from The U (which was my top choice. . .) and so now I am in a panic and have to hurry to decide on which school, so any help is appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I also got into Rocky Mountain.[/QUOTE]

when did you find out about rmuohp?

I found out on the 11th. But I did an early interview and was offered an early acceptance.

I got it in the regular mail.

Do you know about the caliber of students that come out of ISU? I know some programs are notorious for not producing very well rounded students. I haven't heard anything about ISU though. Also do you know much about their internship opportunities? Money really isn't an issue because the other school I got into is about the same cost, although with the instate after a year that would make it quite a bit cheaper. I do like how they have an on site clinic and I actually love Pocatello. In fact maybe I will just ask your opinion on both schools because I see you are from Utah and I remember on another thread that you said that you got an interview. I also got into Rocky Mountain. I did like their program but I wasn't super impressed by it at the same time. It is just really hard to decide because I haven't been to ISU. I was hoping to not have to make a decision like this but I just got rejected from The U (which was my top choice. . .) and so now I am in a panic and have to hurry to decide on which school, so any help is appreciated. Thanks

just sent you a private message. Way to go to get accepted to ISU and RMU!

I've worked with some PTs that went to ISU and they seemed competent to me. I think the thing that probably is least appealing to most people about ISU is that it is in Pocatello (which shouldn't be a problem for you).

I would call ISU and ask them your questions. You can say that you wanted to go to the open house but couldn't for whatever reason (cost, work, family, etc.) They have a class size of about 25 students, so I would think that they would take the time to talk to one of the 25 people that they accepted.

I know there aren't really rankings of PT schools, but US News ranked them 89th. Eastern Washington and Pacific are tied at 75th. I would take these rankings with a grain of salt, but they didn't rate ISU poorly.

Last edited:
I've worked with some PTs that went to ISU and they seemed competent to me. I think the thing that probably is least appealing to most people about ISU is that it is Pocatello (which shouldn't be a problem for you).

I would call ISU and ask them your questions. You can say that you wanted to go to the open house but couldn't for whatever reason (cost, work, family, etc.) They have a class size of about 25 students, so I would think that they would take the time to talk to one of the 25 people that they accepted.

I know there aren't really rankings of PT schools, but US News ranked them 89th. Eastern Washington and Pacific are tied at 75th. I would take these rankings with a grain of salt, but they didn't rate ISU poorly.

I agree. One of the therapists I got to work with was an ISU grad and prob is one of the most well know and most successful therapists in the area. ISU's stats for passing the board exams is excellent which again you can't go wrong with.

Thanks so much for your replies! It really helps. I was planning on contacting ISU tomorrow to ask them some questions but it is always nice to hear other people's opinions as well.

I was curious as well about ISU. As an Idaho resident the price tag is extremely tempting. Being from Boise though, I'm not sure how I feel about Pocatello. I have only been there during the open house. I know passing the exam is the main goal of school, but what would it be like to live there? Most students seemed to be married as well, is it a very social atmosphere?

figured I would start this thread up again since others and myself have gotten status letters. I was denied, unfortunately, for reasons I wasn't expecting. I didn't realize (or maybe I didn't read their apta page or school website close enough), that they broke down the science gpa into specific segments. curse you chemistry!! haha. congratulations to those that were offered and best of luck to those on the alternate list =]

I'm heading there this weekend! I'm from boise too, so I can relate to being apprehensive about living in Pocatello but that's the only drawback I can see. Otherwise I figure I save 72,000 in tuition alone from the other school I was accepted to; that's gotta be worth three years in the cold

I'll be there as well. I'm number four on the alternate list. Finger crossed!

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you find out if you're on an alternate list? Did they email or mail you a letter? I know some people that got accepted. I got invited to the open house and I am attending it this Saturday (I live somewhat close, so I figured why not?) But other than the open house invitation, I haven't heard anything from them.

I missed the email about the open house somehow, so I was getting worried. I called and talked to the secretary, and she was more than willing to tell me my position on the alternate list. Best of luck!

Thanks for the quick response! Hm, maybe I'll have to give them a call, just to see if I'm on the list. I'm always hesitant to bug them this time of year. Fourth on the list sound like pretty good odds to me! Best of luck to you too.

My letter didn't actually say whether I was an alternate or actually accepted...it was just an e-mail with a word document attachment that stated all potential students were invited. How did you ascertain that you were an alternate?

I missed the email about the open house somehow, so I was getting worried. I called and talked to the secretary, and she was more than willing to tell me my position on the alternate list. Best of luck!

Did anyone else on here attend the open house today? It sounds like only about only half those accepted have replied, meaning there will probably be quite a few acceptance letters sent out next week for those on top of the alternate list accepted. Did anyone else get that notion?

I visited the DPT department for a tour last year and was a little skeptical. I am so glad I went today. Talking with the students and faculty made me feel awesome about my choice in applying there. Did anyone else have a similar experience?

Did anyone else on here attend the open house today? It sounds like only about only half those accepted have replied, meaning there will probably be quite a few acceptance letters sent out next week for those on top of the alternate list accepted. Did anyone else get that notion?

I visited the DPT department for a tour last year and was a little skeptical. I am so glad I went today. Talking with the students and faculty made me feel awesome about my choice in applying there. Did anyone else have a similar experience?

Yeah! I went to the open house today. I've never been to ISU, let alone Pocatello so it was very beneficial. I enjoyed the open house, seemed very low key. The students were all really helpful and they faculty seemed great.

I didn't hear anything about the list or how many people replied. However, I was talking to the admissions director and it seemed to me that she hadn't sent out all the invitations she even currently had planned. Which could be some of that alternate list too. I called the other day, and the secretary didn't even really talk about an alternate list. But oh well, we'll find out soon enough. Best of luck!

So I received my official alternate position today. The secretary told me a few weeks ago that I was number 4, but now I'm looking at an 11 in the official mailing. Did anyone else have a similar experience? I'm pretty bummed.

Maybe they re-ranked you at the open house. I talked to the secretary when I was there and I was so far down I didn't even feel like staying! Judging from the people there, I'd say most of those accepted will attend, so 11th seems rough. Let's all guess how far down the waitlist they go! I'm guessing 7 spots in

My understanding was that the open house had no bearing over the alternate list, but their process has been quite mysterious. They said last year they went through about 50 on the alternate list, but it is impossible to tell from year to year. Being optimistic, I'm guessing they will go through 15.

Yeah, I agree Johnny. everything does seem a little mysterious. Although, as they said the open house is supposed to not have any bearing on your acceptance. Perhaps, the list wasn't finished or inaccurate from before? When I called before the open house, they didn't tell me my spot when I asked. And I still haven't heard from them at all. Did you hear from them by mail? Maybe it's because I'm out of state?

I don't live too far away from Pocatello, so it only takes a day for mail to arrive here. My envelope was postmarked 02/21, so I imagine you will see yours in the first part of next week. Guesses on how far they're going to go into their waiting list?

They went through 50 on the alternate list ? For a class with 26 spots? That seems...incredible. In the literal sense of the word, where I don't even believe it lol. If so, we are all in!

I don't know. That's what the head of admissions and secretary said, but it makes sense. EWU went through 150 on their alternate list last year for 38 ish spots. With PTCAS streamlining the application process, we can easily apply for a ton of programs so long as we can continue to fork out the cash. So, their top students are the top students for a lot of the schools out west, so about half of the accepted applicants (statistically) will turn down the offer for other schools. Here's to hoping this is a typical year! :)

Wow, that's nuts. I missed that earlier. 50 spots. I was talking to a student who was 20 on the waitlist and got in on a school and I thought that was quite a bit. I've heard there are even more applicants this year across the board, which also makes sense they would go through just as many on the waitlist.

I just got my letter. Number 8 on the alternate list....fingers crossed! I'm on 4 wait lists so hopefully one of them turns out good for me!

Also, I received an email February 19th asking if I wanted to be placed on the alternate list. That may have something to do with the change in positions from when you talked to them and the number on the letter.

Can someone please tell me when ISU held their interviews and open house this year? I'm trying to plan ahead for next year:)

Can someone please tell me when ISU held their interviews and open house this year? I'm trying to plan ahead for next year:)

ISU does not do interviews, your acceptance to the program is all based on your application. And their open house was on February 15th this year. It does seem that if you get invited to their open house you either will be accepted or be an alternate for your program.

Reactions: 1 user
For those in this thread that were rejected/accepted - would you mind sharing your stats?

Hi, I have not been able to visit ISU either. I was wondering if anyone could comment on the general level of enthusiasm of the faculty and students. Their pass rates and clinical education appear sound, but I have little information beyond what is available online/through admissions. Thanks

Hi, I have not been able to visit ISU either. I was wondering if anyone could comment on the general level of enthusiasm of the faculty and students. Their pass rates and clinical education appear sound, but I have little information beyond what is available online/through admissions. Thanks

Hey Snowy,

I'm from Idaho and attended ISU for my undergraduate studies. Here is some information about the program, school, and area:

-Their staff seems quite friendly and even have the old head of the department working as a professor emeritus. It sounds like he makes himself available to help students whenever they need help and the remainder of the staff seems quite eager to help. Also, because the class sizes are so much smaller than most schools, it seems it would be easier to approach staff for help.
-The program is in a very old dorm building converted into classrooms. While they are slowly updating the building and equipment, much still remains very old. They say it does the job still and likely does, but it does not have the clean and new look that many programs maintain.
-It is 5-6 months of winter-ish weather in Pocatello.
-Pocatello is an old railroad city. The economy is not great there.
-One of the larger pluses about the area is the outdoors. Hiking, snowshoeing, climbing, etc.

Not sure if you wanted all of that, but I hope at least some of it is helpful.

Hey Snowy,

I'm from Idaho and attended ISU for my undergraduate studies. Here is some information about the program, school, and area:

-Their staff seems quite friendly and even have the old head of the department working as a professor emeritus. It sounds like he makes himself available to help students whenever they need help and the remainder of the staff seems quite eager to help. Also, because the class sizes are so much smaller than most schools, it seems it would be easier to approach staff for help.
-The program is in a very old dorm building converted into classrooms. While they are slowly updating the building and equipment, much still remains very old. They say it does the job still and likely does, but it does not have the clean and new look that many programs maintain.
-It is 5-6 months of winter-ish weather in Pocatello.
-Pocatello is an old railroad city. The economy is not great there.
-One of the larger pluses about the area is the outdoors. Hiking, snowshoeing, climbing, etc.

Not sure if you wanted all of that, but I hope at least some of it is helpful.

Thank you for sharing your opinion! & good luck!
I think I would like the area & noticed that while the economy isn't great, the crime rates are still relatively low.
As far as I can tell, equipment is less important than the professors' and students' enthusiasm for their work and motivation to keep up with advances in the field. I imagine most graduate programs provide a strong learning environment, but it's still something I would normally prefer to feel out in person.

Were you able to meet any of the current students or see the on-site clinics?

I attended the open house. Of course schools tend to showcase some of their best students. With that said, the students seemed to enjoy the program as much as they could given their workload. The on-site clinic is a fairly small gym area with some cardio equipment and a little area to work with the patients. Again, the equipment is nothing fancy, but it isn't really required for a lot of the basics. If you don't mind me asking, were you accepted or thinking of applying?

Jonnyidaho, have you been contacted yet? You were higher up on the waitlist than I by just a couple spots, so when you hear, hopefully they'll let me know soon after. Will you come back and let me know once u get in (if you do!) I'm heading to Midwestern May 27th if I don't hear from ISU by then

Jonnyidaho, have you been contacted yet? You were higher up on the waitlist than I by just a couple spots, so when you hear, hopefully they'll let me know soon after. Will you come back and let me know once u get in (if you do!) I'm heading to Midwestern May 27th if I don't hear from ISU by then

Absolutely. Ms. Wellard told me to check in this week to see where things were. She was out of the office yesterday, so I'll try again today. I just looked at Midwestern's tuition. Ouch! I'd hold out as long as possible.

I just spoke with Nelda. If you're on the wait list, subtract five from the number you received, and there's your new number.

Has anyone heard anything recently from ISU? I have gone from 11 to 3 on the alternate list (last time I checked). I feel like I'm calling too much, so I'm curious if anyone has received any news lately.

I have not heard anything yet. I was number 8 on the list so if you are now number 3 I would expect that I should be receiving an acceptance soon here.

Well I received a call yesterday from Nelda offering a spot. I have decided to stay closer to home and accepted a spot at a different school so I declined ISU. Good Luck to those still waiting!

Well I received a call yesterday from Nelda offering a spot. I have decided to stay closer to home and accepted a spot at a different school so I declined ISU. Good Luck to those still waiting!

Thank you so much for the update. If my math is correct, that will put me at number 1 on the alternate list. I will wait until next week to bug her (I think). Good luck!

I received my acceptance call and email this morning! I can breathe again! :D Good luck everyone waiting. There is still plenty of time.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry for just jumping in on the conversation and going off track here - but I was just wondering some of the statistics for those of you that got accepted into ISU these past years? I understand that they look at GPA a bit differently (last 60 credits, I believe). I really want to apply there next year in 2015! My GPA will probably be around a 3.8 cumulative, and my prerequiste will be around a 3.35 - 3.4 (damn physics). My GRE is at 150V - 150 Q - 5.0 W, and I will have around 200 hours of volunteer PT experience from a geriatric setting, sports rehab setting, and pediatric setting. Do any of you ISU students know if these are good stats to get me in? Any honest feedback helps! :)

You will never get in- don't even apply here mwhahaha

Haha swolecat is just being a dick. Your stats look decent enough. You probably won't receive an acceptance letter right off, but if you can wait a few months on the wait list, you'll probably make it. For the graduating class of 2017 - that includes Swolecat and I - they went through 35 ish on the wait list. The year before, they went through 50 ish. Just depends on the year. I haven't seen the average stats for our class, but I would guess your stats are slightly below average, which means you would probably eventually make it in. No guarantees though. Hope that helps.

Sorry to get off the track, but I've read all threads here, I am curious
what is alternate list and wait list? are those two different?