Idea on Step1 pre-screen test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jop9095

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I noticed the differences of COMLEX 1 pass rate between different schools. I know that Board score are more determined by the students than the school, but it still shed some concerns to the curriculum structure and board prep resources at each school.

I was hoping to understand these numbers: If a school has a high board score pass rate (above 95%), would there be indications that pre-screen tests (COMASE) have prevented certain students from taking the test?

If a school has a relatively lower board score pass rate (below 90%), doest that mean everyone can take the board without pre-screen?

Is the pre-screen policy observed in your school?

Thanks for the help and please correct any mistakes.

Members don't see this ad.

My school has a requirement of 450 on the COMSAE before Level 1. I don’t know our pass rate (it’s 90%+ but I can’t give an exact number), but it seems like a good idea to me.

My school has a requirement of 450 on the COMSAE before Level 1. I don’t know our pass rate (it’s 90%+ but I can’t give an exact number), but it seems like a good idea to me.
Thanks! I think pre-screen is also very good since the actual board exam is too important to be messed up with.

On the other hand, how should I intepret the numbers of board pass rate online? Since not every school mention the prescreen policy?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I think pre-screen is also very good since the actual board exam is too important to be messed up with.

On the other hand, how should I intepret the numbers of board pass rate online? Since not every school mention the prescreen policy?

I'm not really sure it matters. Its not like schools really prevent you from every taking boards if you don't pass the pre-screen. What happens is that your boards get delayed, until you're more likely to pass it... which is a good thing. I would say whether or not they have a pre-screen and you know what it is is inconsequential. You can still compare pass rates.

And here you go:
COM Comlex Pass and Graduation Match Rates - LECOM Education System
-Erie includes both Erie and Seton Hill

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not really sure it matters. Its not like schools really prevent you from every taking boards if you don't pass the pre-screen. What happens is that your boards get delayed, until you're more likely to pass it... which is a good thing. I would say whether or not they have a pre-screen and you know what it is is inconsequential. You can still compare pass rates.

And here you go:
COM Comlex Pass and Graduation Match Rates - LECOM Education System
-Erie includes both Erie and Seton Hill

Thanks for the information. To be honest my concern is with NSUCOM. For an established DO school, its Step 1 pass rate is really under-performing.

How should I take in these numbers?

P.S they just post these. NSU used to only have COMLEX3 pass rate

Residency Match Data and COMLEX Level 3 Board Scores | NSU COM

Thanks!

Thanks for the information. To be honest my concern is with NSUCOM. For an established DO school, its Step 1 pass rate is really under-performing.

How should I take in these numbers?

P.S they just post these. NSU used to only have COMLEX3 pass rate

Residency Match Data and COMLEX Level 3 Board Scores | NSU COM

Thanks!

Hmm, I'd be curious about any curriculum changes over the last couple years. The best thing to do would be to ask students in the school-specific forum.

Hmm, I'd be curious about any curriculum changes over the last couple years. The best thing to do would be to ask students in the school-specific forum.

NSU did changed a new dean in 2015, and they had the anatomy lab formaldehyde problem in 2015, causing a swith of spring and fall curriculum, and that class was taking that 2017 COMLEX.

I just hope that 2018 would be better and we can fit better

My school does not have a "pre-screen COMSAE" and we've been doing fine on boards. I think schools put too much emphasis on these weeder exams having a correlation with actual exam performance. COMSAEs were actually the least predictive practice exam I took. Can't imagine how COMs are using it as a predictor or weeder exam.

Reactions: 1 user