Ideal Gas Law Plz Confirm!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wired202808

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I understand that based on the Ideal Gas Law;

Gas particles have no volume i.e. per Chad, he says that they work best at low P and High T, so does that mean an ideal gas has no volume and no pressure but has HIGH T, wouldnt that mean that the T has to be SUPER HIGH?

Can anyone clarify this?

Members don't see this ad.

not quite sure what ur asking
but the low pressure comes from the fact that the gases are spread out and if pressure were high they would be forced to liquify....
get what i mean?

So I understand that based on the Ideal Gas Law;

Gas particles have no volume i.e. per Chad, he says that they work best at low P and High T, so does that mean an ideal gas has no volume and no pressure but has HIGH T, wouldnt that mean that the T has to be SUPER HIGH?

Can anyone clarify this?

Not sure what you are asking but,

Low pressure = more likely for particles to get away from each other and become gas. Volume increases

This is my understanding of the concept:

An ideal gas makes two basic assumptions:

1.) The gas molecules contain zero volume.
2.) There are no intermolecular forces between the gases or put another way - all collisions are completely elastic.

These assumptions are most true when there is low pressure and high temperature.

That is because at low pressure (or high volume container) the volume of the gas is negligible. When pressure increases a lot the volume of the gas molecules are no longer negligible and will cause the gas to behave less ideal due to assumption #1 we made.

Gases are most ideal at high temp because they're moving really fast. Remember: Average kinetic energy of a gas is directly related to 3/2KT = 1/2MV^2. If a gas molecule is traveling very fast we can ignore the intermolecular forces between the gas. However, if you cool the gas way down the KE drops and then so does its velocity. This means that the gas molecules are not moving past each other very fast and the intermolecular forces DO start to affect the behavior of the gas - and it becomes less ideal due to not following assumption #2.

Summery:

Most ideal = low pressure (big container/volume), High temp
Least ideal = high pressure (small container/volume), low temp