1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Ideal gas Question

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by osimsDDS, Jun 3, 2008.

1. osimsDDS

Pre-Dental
    Which of the following is true of an ideal gas?
    a)the volume is independent of the pressure of the gas,
    b)the pressure is inversely proportional to the number of moles of gas
    c)the volume is directly proportional to the pressure of the gas
    d)the volume is inversely proportional to the pressure of the gas
    e)the pressure is independent of the number of moles of gas

Which one is it?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. userah

Dental Student
    D since it's for ideal gases no? PV = nRT?

4. Glycogen

Pre-Dental
  5. osimsDDS

Pre-Dental
    haha yea i dunno i was torn between those 2 choices, either c or d...

Isnt PV=k, if P increases then V must decrease so is that inversely proportional or directly proportional???

6. Glycogen

Pre-Dental
    I think it will inversely proportional with Tem.I'm not sure,I would choose C.

7. osimsDDS

Pre-Dental
    found the answer on Wiki of course, best website on earth...

Boyle's law is one of the gas laws and basis of derivation for the ideal gas law, which describes the relationship between the product pressure and volume within a closed system as constant when temperature and moles remain at a fixed measure; both entities remain inversely proportional.

so: PV=k, inversely proportional
    v/t=k, directly proportional (and also all others, the only one thats inversely is PV=k)

8. doc3232

Dental Student
    False, this is the best site on earth...

9. osimsDDS

Pre-Dental
  10. joonkimdds

joonkimdds Senior Member

Pre-Dental
    Ok...so what's the answer?

#9 joonkimdds, Jun 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  11. Sea of ASH

a) V=nRT/P FALSE it is dependent
    b) P=nRT/V FALSE they are directly proportional
    c) V=nRT/P FALSE they are inversely proportional
    d) V=nRT/P TRUE volume and pressure are directly proportional
    e) P=nRT/V FALSE it is dependent

also if you notice the answer choices, once it says that P and V are independent, then inversely proportional, and then directly..... i HAS to be one of these right? process of elimination....

12. smile101

Pre-Dental
    This is a very basic simple question and I don't understand why its taking so much discussion. D is def the correct answer. On the ADA guidelines, it says to know Boyle's and Charles law....so know them!!!

13. joonkimdds

joonkimdds Senior Member

Pre-Dental
    Volume is inversely proportional to pressure,
    volume is directly proportional to the number of moles of gas,
    so why is the pressure proportional to the number of moles of gas?
    I don't know where i am getting confused.

14. ucla2134

Pre-Dental

The pressure and volume is proportional to the number of gases and why the hell the pressure is inversely proportional to the volume? It is happen when you keep other variables constant in the Ideal gas law:
    For example, the Avogado law n/V=constant happen when the Pressure and Temperature is keeping constant. Same thing is if you keep Volume and Temperature constant, then you get pressure proportional to the number of moles.

15. creative8401

creative8401 Im Anush Hayastan

Pre-Dental
    Hi everybody. Hope everyones doing well. Let's take a look at this question. Many of the students have responded correctly, but I'd like to add a bit explanation to their correct answer for those confused.

A) The volume is independent of the pressure of the gas
    PV = nRT; and the volume cannot be independent of the pressure. It would be best to think of real life examples, as it will make it easier to understand the question. If you have ever tried to fill a balloon, one knows that the pressure and volume are related to one another. One time I tried to fill those air beds by mouth, and since the volume of the bed is big, a lot of gas molecules have to be blown into it to increase the pressure; thus they are related to each other (not to mention I was about to faint afterwards).

B) The pressure is inversely proportional to the number of moles of gas
    Inversely...wow. This would mean that if you put more air molecules into a tire, the tire would go flat. Makes no sense. They are directly related, if you put more moles (hence more molecules) of a given gas, the pressure would increase. This is why we have tired, and balloons.

C) The volume is directly proportional to the pressure of the gas
    Boyles Law: They are indirectly related. The formula is P1V1 = P2V2, and P1V1 = Constant; Therefore, in order to obtain the same constant each time, when one increases the other factor would have to decrease. Real life analogy: You increase the volume of the thoracic cavity, the pressure drops and air rushes into your lungs.

D) The volume is inversely proportional to the pressure of the gas
    Please see "C"

E) The pressure is independent of the number of moles of gas
    This is a funny one. For those of you who have had a balloon blow up in your face, you very well know that the more you fill it, the larger the pressure, until the elastic walls give way.

Your answer is D.

My suggestion would be to think of these types of questions in a more realistic fashion. Once you can do this, then the concepts are easy to understand, and the formulas...well, they are just ways to complicate simple concepts.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Dencology

Pre-Dental
    Hey creative.
    Good job man. i was gone post something like this. lately, a lot of people don't know what they are posting and they post incorrect answers. please know your fact cold before you post something. Volume and Pressure is inversely related to each other. if you have a a cylinder and you decrease its volume, now there is less room for the molecules to move around and they are exerting more pressure to the walls and to each other. therefore, as you decrease volume you increase pressure. it is very simple.

18. Sea of ASH

this is exactly PV=nRT

19. pasionatdentist

Pre-Dental
    D>>>>> pressure is inversely proportional to volume.... just learned it in kaplan class

20. userah

Dental Student
    just look at the formula guys. you can figure out every rule based on the formula for ideal gases.

If P increases, the only way to keep everything else constant is to decrease V. Thus they are inversely related. And for temperature. Since they're on opposite sides, increase in P means increase in T as well so they are directly proportional. Same goes for volume and temperature; directly proportional.