ideas for an elective research topic in Vanuatu

Started by nopockets
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nopockets

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi!🙂 I'm not from an American med school, but we have a similar residency programme. I won't be applying to US hospitals, so the peculiarities of the US match isn't a worry.. i'm just soliciting ideas for topics here 🙂

I might be going to Vanuatu next year for an elective about 3-5 weeks. I don't have to do a research topic while im there..but I might want to, because it will interesting.

I'll be applying to a peds residency, and that's where my interest lies. I'm thinking of doing a fun, light-hearted, interesting topic while I'm there. I'm already starting on a project on pediatric pneumothoraxes under an awesome mentor..so I really just wanna do something silly (in our PT project we're having a guess-the-size-of-the-PT competition so i have a random streak i must indulge. so don't yooo judge me)..but something clinically useful too. 🙂 ideas?

(on the other hand, i don't expect everyone to be as enthusiastic about Pacific Islander culture as I am haha. but we'll see)
 
Hi!🙂 I'm not from an American med school, but we have a similar residency programme. I won't be applying to US hospitals, so the peculiarities of the US match isn't a worry.. i'm just soliciting ideas for topics here 🙂

I might be going to Vanuatu next year for an elective about 3-5 weeks. I don't have to do a research topic while im there..but I might want to, because it will interesting.

I'll be applying to a peds residency, and that's where my interest lies. I'm thinking of doing a fun, light-hearted, interesting topic while I'm there. I'm already starting on a project on pediatric pneumothoraxes under an awesome mentor..so I really just wanna do something silly (in our PT project we're having a guess-the-size-of-the-PT competition so i have a random streak i must indulge. so don't yooo judge me)..but something clinically useful too. 🙂 ideas?

(on the other hand, i don't expect everyone to be as enthusiastic about Pacific Islander culture as I am haha. but we'll see)


I believe I'll need to visit the site in order to provide meaningful ideas. Please send me a plane ticket.😀

Your BFFL

OBP

For silly but useful: Consider behavioral stuff. Thumb-sucking is always interesting....
 
Last edited:
I believe I'll need to visit the site in order to provide meaningful ideas. Please send me a plane ticket.😀

Your BFFL

OBP

For silly but useful: Consider behavioral stuff. Thumb-sucking is always interesting....

Kok blong yu i slack taem yu slip wetem woman?" I was amused to find that this long phrase stands for only one word in Vanuatu--"impotence." Vanuatu, a little known country in the South Pacific, was my choice of elective destination.
​
http://www.anglofrenchmedical.org/students.php?page=vanuatu
http://archive.student.bmj.com/issues/04/01/life/30.php

and thumb-sucking is indeed very interesting! now i just have to make a quick literature review of what research has already been done on thumb-sucking.
and what exactly to find out about thumb-sucking? duration, eventual handedness, unilateral or bilateral? 🙂

any other ideas around?😀