Ideas to boost my app for next cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

voxveritatisetlucis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
With 40 applications out at this point, I have 0 IIs, two waitlists for IIs. Complete mostly early/late July. Considering sending out 10 more secondaries but I’m so demoralized that I haven’t been able to finish a secondary in a week.

I have a 521/3.99 but I will have to retake the MCAT because it will expire for some schools next cycle. I’m not confident I can get a higher or even the same score but I will try. So aside from getting good recommendations from the director of my group at work, what can I do for next cycle. Is there any way to get a publication while working full time?

Also do the general rules for retaking 520+ MCAT not apply because of expiration?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
With 40 applications out at this point, I have 0 IIs, two waitlists for IIs. Complete mostly early/late July. Considering sending out 10 more secondaries but I’m so demoralized that I haven’t been able to finish a secondary in a week.

I have a 521/3.99 but I will have to retake the MCAT because it will expire for some schools next cycle. I’m not confident I can get a higher or even the same score but I will try. So aside from getting good recommendations from the director of my group at work, what can I do for next cycle. Is there any way to get a publication while working full time?
This is the first week of July, not having an interview at this point is nothing to be worried about.
As for improving next cycle, if I remember correctly didn’t you have a pretty large red flag on the application? If with your stats you get no bites this year, the honest truth is that this might be a dead end for you.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users

Dude -- I know you have been told this before, but I am BEGGING you to chill. If necessary, you will have plenty of time to make the exact same post, and to act on it, in December or early next year. This is so premature that it's ridiculous.

Basically, you are saying that you are definitely going to strike out this cycle because you weren't in the first wave of IIs with your 3.99/521, and NOBODY receiving an II from this point forward is going to have as stellar stats as you, so you simply have to be screwed. Do you really believe this, or are you just posting it to draw people like me into reassuring you?

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is the first week of July, not having an interview at this point is nothing to be worried about.
As for improving next cycle, if I remember correctly didn’t you have a pretty large red flag on the application? If with your stats you get no bites this year, the honest truth is that this might be a dead end for you.
It's actually August, but who's counting? :cool:

Dude -- I know you have been told this before, but I am BEGGING you to chill. If necessary, you will have plenty of time to make the exact same post, and to act on it, in December or early next year. This is so premature that it's ridiculous.

Basically, you are saying that you are definitely going to strike out this cycle because you weren't in the first wave of IIs with your 3.99/521, and NOBODY receiving an II from this point forward is going to have as stellar stats as you, so you simply have to be screwed. Do you really believe this, or are you just posting it to draw people like me into reassuring you?
I know it’s early but I would rather start getting ready for next time starting now because I’m working full time so I have to space things out

• Okay...
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
More time between flag and application reduces its impact. At least I assume.

I totally forgot about this!!! @rhodyapplicant is 1,000% correct. @voxveritatisetlucis -- it's misleading to mention your stats without mentioning the other thing when posting about no IIs. It's still waaaay too early to freak, but, if you get no bites with your stats and with a red flag, I don't know what to tell you, other than you're going to be more than a recommendation and publication away from changing your situation.

I know it’s early but I would rather start getting ready for next time starting now because I’m working full time so I have to space things out
There's nothing to get ready for. We are one month into a 6 month or more II season, and there is nothing you can do now, with very little visibility into what your cycle is going to look like, that you can't do later, when you'll have a much better idea of where you stand. All you know right now is that you were not among the very first people to be reviewed and sent an II. Nothing more, nothing less.

Moreover, even with your red flag, you haven't receiving any Rs yet, correct? If not for your post history, I'd think you were trolling us, but I have a strong feeling you are not, which is why I am begging you to try to relax. I also have zero IIs to date. It sucks. Just be happy for everyone who is doing well, and have confidence that you put together the best application you could, and that the vast majority of IIs have yet to be sent.

Also, 40 applications is a very high amount. Don't be demoralized, and don't waste your time and money on another 10. The law of diminishing returns definitely applies here. If you don't achieve your desired result at your 20 best matches, or the 10 after that, or the 10 after that, it is extremely unlikely that things will change as you go further and further down the list of matches for you based on stats, geography, etc.

That is kind of what I was thinking regarding the last 10. If the first 40 reject, then the next 10 are likely also going to be rejections. I just feel superstitious about not filling them out. Ie. what could have been

More time between flag and application reduces its impact. At least I assume.
True. But in that case, time is your elixir. Not another recommendation, and not a random publication that you will be unlikely to be able to achieve while working full time, unless you are working in a lab that will give you an opportunity to publish. And, again, if a red flag is a problem, a publication will not be the cure.

Correct, I haven’t received any official rejections yet, just the two waitlist for interviews

That is kind of what I was thinking regarding the last 10. If the first 40 reject, then the next 10 are likely also going to be rejections. I just feel superstitious about not filling them out. Ie. what could have been
No need to feel superstitious about this. Law of diminishing returns. All schools don't provide even chances. Most OOS public schools are donations for most people. Low stat private schools are donations for most high stat candidates. Etc., etc., etc.

Most people have between 15 and 30 reasonable matches, which is one reason AAMC cuts off FAP at 20. You applied to 40 schools. You have left it all on the field. If things don't work out, you have a pretty good idea why. It's beyond your control at this point, and it's not reasonable to believe another 10 donations will make a difference. Why not try to just sit tight like many of the rest of us for a month or two and see where you are then?

Correct, I haven’t received any official rejections yet, just the two waitlist for interviews
And, those are definitely not Rs, since every year people report those converting into IIs.

Members don't see this ad :)
It really feels like medicine is the only field where my past mistakes make such an impact. Four companies ran background checks (I disclosed beforehand what they were likely to find) and not one pulled the offer. Finance PhD admissions directors that I have been in touch with don’t seem to think it will be an issue.

• Okay...
It really feels like medicine is the only field where my past mistakes make such an impact. Four companies ran background checks (I disclosed beforehand what they were likely to find) and not one pulled the offer. Finance PhD admissions directors that I have been in touch with don’t seem to think it will be an issue.
Finance PhD's don't have almost unlimited access to prescription drugs. Some mistakes make it impossible to get a medical license.

• Love
True but they do care a lot about past theft or embezzlement (at least for working in industry, probably matters less for academia)

You have the record you have and you’ve applied. Best bet is to develop healthy stress management strategies or the next 6-12 months are going to be absolutely brutal. Find other things to focus on - hobbies, volunteer work, etc. limit yourself to checking for status updates three times a week if not less. There is no part in this process where responding to an inquiry immediately vs three days will make a difference. The more you can compartmentalize this aspect of your life - the better.

Reactions: 2 users
You're absolutely correct.

Beyond any ethical considerations, it worth remembering that med schools are a business. If finance graduate programs had as much competition for seats, you can rest assured they'd be more picky in who they admit. Conversely, if there were 3 MD seats for every 2 applicants, instead of the other way around, you can bet at least some schools would be a lot more forgiving of certain transgressions.

Past mistakes have such an impact primarily because schools have an enormous reservoir of well qualified applicants from which to draw, so they have no reason to take chances on candidates with baggage. In addition, of course, there are concerns about licensing. Off shore schools don't worry as much about the licensing issues, because they want to fill seats. If US schools had problems filling seats, I have a feeling they'd be more willing to let you assume the licensing risk.

Eh Stanford GSB gets about 750 applications for 20 seats. I’d imagine harvard, Wharton are similar. That’s about as competitive as MD programs. I think they are just focused a lot more on numbers/aptitude than MD schools because the only thing that matters is the quality/productivity of your research.

Eh Stanford GSB gets about 750 applications for 20 seats. I’d imagine harvard, Wharton are similar. That’s about as competitive as MD programs. I think they are just focused a lot more on numbers/aptitude than MD schools because the only thing that matters is the quality/productivity of your research.
Good points about top finance programs being as competitive as most MD programs. Are you sure they are so forgiving of criminal records, given that they also have plenty of top talent from which to choose?

You have to disclose it but the admissions committee does not have access to criminal background information at most schools. It’s therefore probably a mechanism to reduce liability.

You have to disclose it but the admissions committee does not have access to criminal background information at most schools. It’s therefore probably a mechanism to reduce liability.
Who is it disclosed to if not the committee, and how does it reduce liability if it is not seen or considered? Something doesn't sound right.

Moreover, just like med schools, it doesn't make sense that any institution of higher education that is so selective would take a chance on someone with a big red flag. I get that Goldman Sachs and its peers will put up with a lot of shady s#!t if someone can make them a ton of money (big Wall Street firms are not paragons of virtue, carefully polished PR notwithstanding), but, to my knowledge, Wharton and Harvard have no such incentive, since there is an abundance of highly talented people lined up enter their programs.

I honestly think it's what I said before -- their tolerance for red flags is directly related to their need to fill seats. If I am wrong, and you have an insurmountable problem with med schools, you have your Plan B at Wharton, Harvard and Stanford.

Last edited:

Also do the general rules for retaking 520+ MCAT not apply because of expiration?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." erroneously attributed to Albert Einstein

You're not getting into a medical school until you get rid of that big fat red flag you have. And even if you somehow get into med school, you're really unlikely to land a residency. No residency, no license to practice Medicine.

You need to have some serious chats with your lawyer about this.

Reactions: 2 users
If I can find a way to get it expunged will I have to report?

Also @Goro do you agree that submitting at 10 additional schools would not have a material difference in my admissions odds. In other words, can I be confident that I did everything I could this cycle by applying to 40 schools rather than 50.

Last edited:

Also @Goro do you agree that submitting at 10 additional schools would not have a material difference in my admissions odds. In other words, can I be confident that I did everything I could this cycle by applying to 40 schools rather than 50.
If you can find a way to have it expunged, it's going to be too late for this cycle. It's not something you can change on AMCAS once submitted, and sending an update to the schools would kind of defeat the purpose, no? In addition, for a reapplication it will have already been reported to your 40 most favorite schools, so how do you think that would even help you in the future, assuming you could even get it done, which you already indicated you couldn't?

Whatever else you might be able to do to mitigate, I think unringing the bell on the disclosure is a non-starter.

Last edited:

Also @Goro do you agree that submitting at 10 additional schools would not have a material difference in my admissions odds.
It won't make a difference if you apply to 40, 50 or all 180 med schools in the US.

If you can get the convictions expunged, then it boils down to what's available to background checks. I don't know the answer to this as this is the responsibility of our Admissions Dean and his staff. It would be a shame if you matriculated and then were expelled for not being truthful.

There are some schools that ask on secondaries "Have you ever been arrested?"

It won't make a difference if you apply to 40, 50 or all 180 med schools in the US.

If you can get the convictions expunged, then it boils down to what's available to background checks. I don't know the answer to this as this is the responsibility of our Admissions Dean and his staff. It would be a shame if you matriculated and then were expelled for not being truthful.

There are some schools that ask on secondaries "Have you ever been arrested?"
I'm sorry but I just back from a long hiatus during which I was writing a thesis. What exactly did OP do that landed him in trouble with the Law?

I'm sorry but I just back from a long hiatus during which I was writing a thesis. What exactly did OP do that landed him in trouble with the Law?
Felony possession of hard drugs with intent to distribute.

He's DOA for Medicine, but refuses to listen to all the Adcoms telling him this reality.

Felony possession of hard drugs with intent to distribute.

He's DOA for Medicine, but refuses to listen to all the Adcoms telling him this reality.
While I personally disagree with OP’s medical career being over due to this, it is a fact and OP just needs to listen. Looks like he’ll have to learn the hard way.