Year IV
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2009
Little Rock, AR
www.facebook.com
Status
Rehab Sci Student
Over the past year, our SAA chapter was stale and pretty well inactive to the point where it nearly disbanned. I'm trying to help kick start things so to speak. I'm the admin of our facebook page, so I have been posting updates. Anything else I could add to the page to generate interest? Our only real meetings have been get togethers at bars/restaraunts, and few people show up. I don't think sending a hoorah speech on the importance of SAA to my fellow students will do much more than make me appear like an All-American.. I'm open to all ideas you guys have.

May 18, 2010
Treasure Valley, Idaho
Status
Rehab Sci Student
Our SAA chapter does a lot of service work, including volunteering with the Special Olympics Healthy Athletes Program and doing highway clean-up. Maybe you could schedule something like that? It's a great resume-builder.

BigAl

Year III... Still Lost
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2008
NJ via NYC
Status
Rehab Sci Student
The SAA should have a forum where all chapter board members can converse on ideas. I believe there needs to be more communication between chapters and the national board itself. I'm going to have to write Ryan, a letter with this suggestion.

We just got our chapter started not long ago, had a few board meetings and now planning on a member meeting in school. Did the happy hour, but the turn out was low as well. You're right about the hoorah speech, but it still needs to be stressed during meetings that if we don't support ourselves, then no one will support us.
We are going to try to setup hearing screens for the local VFWs, Knights of Columbus and other organizations in the area. We also will be participating in the Special Olympics. Also, we are going to try to get some speakers, but that depends on the right strings being pulled. The major hurdle is organizing everything, because we are all so busy with classes that its hard to focus on anything else.

cidanu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2009
Status
Rehab Sci Student
All the first and second-years who are still on campus during the day usually join our SAA chapter. This is accomplished in several ways:

• outreach to the first-years from the summer preceding the first semester
    • each incoming student is assigned a 2nd-year "buddy" to answer all their questions and just generally check in on them
    • Initial SAA meeting in the first 2 weeks of school with survival tips and what your advisor won't tell you
    • Reminder emails about important dates and things that first-years might be clueless about (e.g. going to AAA)
  • free food provided at all meetings
  • active and enjoyable fund-raising to support our members and humanitarian efforts
    • HLAA Walk4Hearing
    • Pay-per-cup coffee machine in the department
    • Snack bar for department
    • Scholarships
    • T-shirts
  • humanitarian efforts abroad (mexico) and local (health fairs) to offer interesting and diverse experience to SAA members
  • guest speakers invited to meetings (mostly hearing aid reps) to add educational opportunities and exposure to products
I think most people end up joining just because they think they have to and everybody else is doing it and they want to write it on their CV.

OP
Dustbug10

Dustbug10

Year IV
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2009
Little Rock, AR
www.facebook.com
Status
Rehab Sci Student
Good stuff, thanks for posting. We have run with the buddy system, closed door meeting with new students during orientation, snack-bar, and reminders through facebook. Much to no avail so far. Maybe we can set up booths at gun shows? We have quite a few around here year around..

cidanu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2009
Status
Rehab Sci Student
Maybe we can set up booths at gun shows? We have quite a few around here year around..
not a bad idea-hearing screenings at gun fairs, sounds like an opportunity to serve a need in your community!

OP
Dustbug10

Dustbug10

Year IV
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2009
Little Rock, AR
www.facebook.com
Status
Rehab Sci Student
not a bad idea-hearing screenings at gun fairs, sounds like an opportunity to serve a need in your community!
There's no real pressure to join as most don't think that it will benefit their resume in one way or another. I'm thinking we will have to add some enjoyment factor to recruit new members and keep them active.

OP
Dustbug10

Dustbug10

Year IV
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2009
Little Rock, AR
www.facebook.com
Status
Rehab Sci Student
The SAA should have a forum where all chapter board members can converse on ideas. I believe there needs to be more communication between chapters and the national board itself. I'm going to have to write Ryan, a letter with this suggestion.

We just got our chapter started not long ago, had a few board meetings and now planning on a member meeting in school. Did the happy hour, but the turn out was low as well. You're right about the hoorah speech, but it still needs to be stressed during meetings that if we don't support ourselves, then no one will support us.
We are going to try to setup hearing screens for the local VFWs, Knights of Columbus and other organizations in the area. We also will be participating in the Special Olympics. Also, we are going to try to get some speakers, but that depends on the right strings being pulled. The major hurdle is organizing everything, because we are all so busy with classes that its hard to focus on anything else.
I messaged Ryan asking him to join the forum. I think he would give us some good insight on all topics audiology.

DrumHead

10 Sir Tim Penny
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2001
WA, USA
Status
Rehab Sci Student
Good thread. When we share ideas, we make our profession better.