Idle grant effort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ollie123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like we have very many AMC research faculty here, but for those who are (and are mostly/all soft-money) - how are your institutions handling NIH no longer allowing idle effort after June? Mine is being...dodgy. I don't know if I can expect an increase in my clinical effort to try and recover the institutional outlay (which could get complicated because of effort requirements on some of my grants). My dept ran in the red even before COVID, so there isn't exactly a huge surplus of cash to cover 300ish faculty with varying degrees of idle effort. I get the impression they are just kicking the can down the road right now and hoping for a miracle of some kind.

Just curious how this is being handled elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't sound like we have very many AMC research faculty here, but for those who are (and are mostly/all soft-money) - how are your institutions handling NIH no longer allowing idle effort after June? Mine is being...dodgy. I don't know if I can expect an increase in my clinical effort to try and recover the institutional outlay (which could get complicated because of effort requirements on some of my grants). My dept ran in the red even before COVID, so there isn't exactly a huge surplus of cash to cover 300ish faculty with varying degrees of idle effort. I get the impression they are just kicking the can down the road right now and hoping for a miracle of some kind.

Just curious how this is being handled elsewhere.
Any chance you have a link to info about this?

Assume you mean the NIH rules? Check out OMBs M-20-26.