K23 grant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eatsleeppsych

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In June, I received a score one point shy of the 2018 funding line on my first submission of a K23 grant. With 2019's increased NIH budget and a "hopeful" PO things were looking good but now the funding lines have come out and remained the same. AKA, still one point shy. Looking for stories of people whose scores went up after resubmission of a grant so I can brace myself or stories of reassurance about the likelihood of picking up those 2 points.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's no guarantee, but if you're that close to the pay line then you'd need a darn good reason NOT to resubmit. For a first submission I'd say you've done very well. I have seen scores increase on resubmissions more often than not.

Reactions: 1 users
If you submitted a K23, you are likely on a path where this won't be the last grant you submit. In other words, get used to this feeling;)

Your score might go up, your score might go down, your score might stay the same. I just had a friend who messaged me about a recent application that went from almost fundable to not discussed because it got assigned a new reviewer who very clearly misread something and tanked it. I've had grants that looked great on resubmission, I easily addressed all reviewer concerns and then it went back to new reviewers on resubmission. I've had questionable grants that I know had significant methodological flaws get fabulous scores and funded on the first submission. I've only been at this a few years and already feel like I've seen just about every possible scenario.

Have a contingency plan. The system is very clearly broken at the level of the individual investigator - I think system-wide we're still probably funding more good science than bad science, but I think its as much luck as anything else when it comes to individual applications as long as you are producing something passable. I think everyone knows it at this point, but its just not easy to fix overnight. Keep submitting applications and be prepared for anything.

I don't think Edison applied for many NIH grants, but his 1% inspiration/99% perspiration quotation was quite prescient.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you both. I did resubmit for the November deadline so I'm just in wait and see mode. Feeling that antsy panic of the postdoc ending and job market hunting while I'd rather get to do this K study here no man's land. So appreciating all stories good and bad.