If a journal is taking a long time to review your manuscript, is that a good sign?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1139416

I submitted to a journal that, on their website, says they usually take around 6-7 weeks to decide. But my manuscript has been under review for almost 9 weeks now. A faculty at my school is telling me that is a very good sign because the "6-7" week average is taking into consideration the manuscripts that are rejected fairly quickly, whereas those that get accepted take longer because the editors are making thorough comments.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted to a journal that, on their website, says they usually take around 6-7 weeks to decide. But my manuscript has been under review for almost 9 weeks now. A faculty at my school is telling me that is a very good sign because the "6-7" week average is taking into consideration the manuscripts that are rejected fairly quickly, whereas those that get accepted take longer because the editors are making thorough comments.
What is means is that one reviewer who has your MS is being lazy.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Journals are apparently swamped right now. I have 4 papers in submission right now and haven't heard back from a single one aside from "sent for review" in 3+ months. Some of these are top journals (IF > 40) and others are more mid-tier (IF ~10), so it seems to be happening all over. I asked my PI about it and he said this has just been the case lately.

It could mean that they're having trouble finding reviewers. So don't place too much emphasis on it.

But some manuscripts get rejected even before sending out to editoral review. So at least you made it this far.

Reactions: 1 user
That has no correlation. There really isn't. It's a matter of how soon reviewers can get to it and whether they need to get reassigned. This is not related to the quality of paper - doctors are just busy people and may not be able to get to your manuscript in time.

Reactions: 1 user
Manuscript accepted this morning! 🥳

• Love
Reactions: 4 users