If accepted next week, what would you do first?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm right there with you man. Granted, I'm applying this year, but I was a major slacker in high school. My high school chem professor even questioned whether I should even be in college prep classes or should be in a remedial science curriculum haha. I tell people in college about how poorly I did in high school and no one can believe it because I've become so studious now. It's been interesting to see the people that were ranked ahead of me in high school (and believe me, there were plenty of them) and how they've dropped out of college and ended up back at home.

When I run into people now and then from high school they are usually stunned that I am in college. They are even more stunned when they ask how I am doing and I tell them my GPA (not to brag, but they asked so I told them). I waited a couple years between high-school and college and it really made a world of difference as far as maturity.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd call the school and ask them if they remember me from the interview I wasn't at...

Members don't see this ad :)
Go running through the lab I work at shouting "I'M GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!!" until they tell me to go home. Then, pour a glass of Woodford Reserve and call everybody I know.

Puke/cry
Page my husband
Text every number I have in my phone...which takes care of my parents & in-laws
Post it on FB

There would be a lot of "I told you so" type phrases coming out of my mouth towards the indefinitely growing haters and non-believers in my life.

There are definitely some people who bashed me when I got pregnant ("You'll be a welfare mother.") who I wish I had phone numbers for.

Last edited:
If it happens to me, I can't withdraw from the one school that I'll be interviewing at after the 15th because it's one of my top three choices! :(/:).

Here's my list though:
1. Call mom. Probably talk to my dad too, which is a little unusual.
2. Call my gf. Wow, it's weird to call this girl that I've been seeing my gf now.
3. Post the news on SDN, but no one will care because there will probably be a ton of acceptances that day.
4. Go to bars. I usually volunteer Thursday nights, but I just happen to have that one off!

what happens if we get rejected from every school we interviewed at, then what should i do?
If that happens, I'd have to send updates to all my other schools basically begging for an interview. I'd also have to look at the very basics of the way I interview, because I don't feel like I've interviewed badly enough to get rejected from all of them outright next thursday.

1)Book a vacation to somewhere exotic
2)See how long I can keep my acceptance a secret.
That actually sounds like a fun thing to do too. Maybe I'll go get a job working as a parking attendant at the beach for the next year. Haha, jk, I start work on the 15th at my new job as a lab tech, so I may be at work if I get an acceptance that day.

If anyone is from Chicago, they know what I mean when I say I'd go to Portillo's and get an italian beef + a chocolate cake shake as one helluva pat-on-the-back!

1. Praise God!
2. Cry
3. Blast 'Beautiful Day' by U2 on my stereo
4. Text the very few friends that I told that I was applying to med school.
5. Surprise my mom and dad at work by showing up for lunch with a stethescope around my neck.
6. Get a full body massage.

I think that'll do until I get into my top choice, which I won't know about until Feb. Then, I'll really celebrate!:laugh:

Well I haven't had an interview yet, but I second the cake shake and I also like the find a gf guy. actually that may be on my high priority list, both of em, once i get that first letter saying yes, hopefully. that and sleep, and ditch school for a day or two

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yea, well I remember when I used to eat sardeans for dinner.:laugh:

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, when I was dead broke, man, I couldn't picture this!

1. Tell the parents
2. Proceed to buy multiple six packs of Newcastle
3. Call friends and Drink away until I forget about med school

I will skip class and call my parents and gf, if applicable.

Then I will probably drink heavily, opening my bottle of Crown XR I've saved for the occasion.

The phrasing of that made me giggle. As in, you have one now but you're not sure you will still have on, or if you manage to get one before you get accepted? lol.

Hmm... didn't think about this beforehand, but when I got my acceptance from Western this weekend, I:

1. Praised God.
2. Called the parentals.
3. Went around visiting friends, dropping the acceptance letter on people's desks and watching the looks on their faces.
4. Called everyone I couldn't see in person.

And then I went to Vegas.

(Yeah, so it was for another interview, but I knew I wasn't going to go there, so I just enjoyed my weekend!)

And Cher, I like the U2 idea... few things make me feel better than listening to that song!

If anyone is from Chicago, they know what I mean when I say I'd go to Portillo's and get an italian beef + a chocolate cake shake as one helluva pat-on-the-back!

yumm. i miss chocolate cake shakes!

I will call a bunch of my friends and make them come out with me to the bars - homework be damned!

i'll pierce my ears (and then let it close up before classes begin). thats what i told myself i'd do anyway...

lol. Jolt, you win for most random idea on this thread. Why wouldn't you just keep them? Many guys have pierced ears...it's not so taboo/unprofessional anymore. And even if it is, you can take them out in rotations and throw 'em back in at night!

Last edited:
1. cry
2. wtf am i crying?:confused:
3. party :D

I will first take a moment to let it sink in, thinking about all the things that led up to it and what it means to be accepted. I'll give praise to God with all my heart and share the news with family and friends. Then I'll have to concentrate for interviews that will be ongoing and upcoming ;) Then finally, on the weekend I shall PARTY like a rock star!!!! :D:hardy::horns:

....oh and I guess I'll try to figure out which schools to withdraw from. I'm expecting this to be kind of sad.

I'm waiting for something on the 15th too... I'm going to party it up for a couple days then back to studying... I might just book a cruise for New Year's too if it's my top choice.

Last edited:
Hmm... didn't think about this beforehand, but when I got my acceptance from Western this weekend, I:

1. Praised God.
2. Called the parentals.
3. Went around visiting friends, dropping the acceptance letter on people's desks and watching the looks on their faces.
4. Called everyone I couldn't see in person.

And then I went to Vegas.

(Yeah, so it was for another interview, but I knew I wasn't going to go there, so I just enjoyed my weekend!)

And Cher, I like the U2 idea... few things make me feel better than listening to that song!

Congrats on your acceptance! Hopefully come Thursday, I'll have an acceptance too and we'll both blast U2!

Sleep and play video games.

Whatever you guys do, please be sensitive to the fact that some people might be less successful in the admissions process and may not be that receptive to people bragging in their faces.

Whatever you guys do, please be sensitive to the fact that some people might be less successful in the admissions process and may not be that receptive to people bragging in their faces.

i don't think a single person suggested bragging in fellow applicants' faces. :confused:

ummm... i think to someone who hasnt been accepted, to just humbly letting them know abt ur acceptance will feel like braggin to them...

well, I wont be in u guyz' shoes till 2 years, so for now, I can just read you messages and smile...

lol. Jolt, you win for most random idea on this thread. Why wouldn't you just keep them? Many guys have pierced ears...it's not so taboo/unprofessional anymore. And even if it is, you can take them out in rotations and throw 'em back in at night!

the "let it close" idea is cause my family would hate it. we'll see. it may stay if i like it that much. first i gotta get in though.

and depending on the school (like 3-5 specifically), i may get a (hidden) tattoo along with a matching alma mater tattoo. i have tons of school pride.

im thinking about buying a dog if i get in...

but i have no pet experience

That is a fantastic idea. I'm going to go out and get myself some kind of terrier. Those dogs rock!

but we would be going off to med school next year, unless we just applied for kicks. what would you do with your dog? let them out to baha man?

but we would be going off to med school next year, unless we just applied for kicks. what would you do with your dog? let them out to baha man?

I would say it is a bad idea. Depending on the bread, dogs are a lot of work. you don't know what your living situation will be. Plus you will have a hard enough time taking care of yourself, let alone a dog. They are social creatures, and you will be gone a lot. Just IMO.

1. drink
2. drink
3. drink
4. pass out

in other words, a normal day.

I would say it is a bad idea. Depending on the bread, dogs are a lot of work. you don't know what your living situation will be. Plus you will have a hard enough time taking care of yourself, let alone a dog. They are social creatures, and you will be gone a lot. Just IMO.

But cats on the other hand...adorable and independent

No I know. I'm not actually going to get one. It's a dream though... lol

Cats, however, are definitely doable except for the fact that they cause me to break into a rash and my throat to close :(

No I know. I'm not actually going to get one. It's a dream though... lol

Cats, however, are definitely doable except for the fact that they cause me to break into a rash and my throat to close :(

I feel so bad for anyone allergic to cats! They are just so adorable when they're not acting like jerks

Squeal like a pig, call all my family members and closest friends who aren’t pre med (I wouldn’t want to upset anyone…) and make/post my “I GOT INTO MED SCHOOL!!!11!!!1!” video on YouTube. I’ve already picked out the music for it ^^

I feel so bad for anyone allergic to cats! They are just so adorable when they're not acting like jerks
I know! My friend just signed up to foster a kitten for the school year while it waits to be adopted and it is ridiculously cute that I take some zyrtec so that I can at least be around it. Very very good fit for busy people!

I'll call my dad (physician) and then my mom to tell them. Then I'll go pray at the grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes, and then I'll get drunk.

Oh, and I promised my roommate if I got in, he could goose me for 10 minutes straight. "Goosing" is a thing where someone clamps down on your flank by your kidneys repeatedly -- for some reason I practically start seizing when this is done to me.

Last edited:
I'll call my dad (physician) and then my mom to tell them. Then I'll go pray at the grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes, and then I'll get drunk.

Oh, and I promised my roommate if I got in, he could goose me for 10 minutes straight. "Goosing" is a thing where someone clamps down on your flank by your kidneys repeatedly -- for some reason I practically start seizing when this is done to me.

Good thing you explained, because I have a very different definition of goosing!

lmao that is totally messed up!

Praise the Lord!!!

And if I get into my top choice school - probably faint.

Get back up.

Read the email/letter/replay the conversation over in my head to make sure it really is true.

Go nuts.

I'll ask out this maaaaad fine cuban chick at my School.:love:

Probably get rejected or at best waitlisted by her. :rolleyes:

I'll ask out this maaaaad fine cuban chick at my School.:love:

Probably get rejected or at best waitlisted by her. :rolleyes:

BUT you would mention to her about the whole future doc thing, right?

even then - if rejected - who the hell cares

you'd be accepted to MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!!

i would cut out dollar bill sized pieces of all the information letters i got from my interviewed at and make it rain while playing that song in the background. i might have to wait until i have a couple of more interviews and a paper shredder slash vacuum cleaner

As you can see, I don't post much on this site, but you have made me laugh out loud enough times with your various comments that it warrants a thanks to you and an apology to my coworkers!
:thumbup: