if anae and rads were equally competitive, which and why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ALTorGT

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi
for those of you who considered radiology as well, what made you shoot for anaesthetics instead. if you're not interested in primary care and wish to play more of a consultant role, are technologically driven, rads seems like a good option too doesnt it. And, you get to do therapeutic interventional radiology procedures too don't you...which will only increase in scope dramatically over the next 20 years.
thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I briefly considered interventional radiology because of the awesome procedures...then i found out you had to complete a diagnostic radiology residency and there's no way I could stomach that! :barf:

I briefly considered rads early on, but...

Radiology was the most boring 2 weeks of my medical education.

I don't understand how radiologists stay awake at work. Also, the only people you talk to during the day are other radiologists.

Finally, I just couldn't do a career in which I am capable of getting work done (reading films) while taking a ****.

That being said, I have lots friends applying to rads - it's an important field and I respect what they do - I just couldn't (and wouldn't) do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
KingDong said:

I don't understand how radiologists stay awake at work. Also, the only people you talk to during the day are other radiologists.

and the dictation staff. one of my attendings started his day greeting the transcription people by talking into the dictation machine, 'good morning , hope you have a good day. it is my son's birthday today and i am looking forward to a big family gathering for dinner. ....now onto business'

he's hands down the best radiology teaching attending we've got there though :)

Anesthesiology... no question.
Rads is cool, and extremely important.... I'm a "worker" bee kind of guy though. Anes. attendings are running around all over the place, and doing a ton of procedures. It makes time go by faster when I'm humping from the second I walk in the door. I've noticed that when I spend the day in one place, that it tends to go by really slow.
One can make the same argument about anes. residents sitting in for a long case, but even during those cases, you're still working with your hands pushing meds, charting progress, and any "under the blue" procedures. This all assumes you don't do IR... which I think is cool as hell.

and guys one other thing. Anesth is as 'boring' when you are the person in the front seat and it's YOUR butt on the line. Most med students I've noticed get the 'boring' and "anesthesiologists dont do anything" experience, because they are taking a passive role. If ur the one at the head of the bed (ie that resident or attending) your adrenaline is up. You gotta mk sure that things wont hit the fan. .... who knows ppl may have something similar to say about rads..

just my two cents

KingDong said:
I

and the problem with this is???

rads is a great lifestyle field... much better than anesthesia i would imagine plus they make a lot more money.. I remember surveying salaries a couple of years ago and radiologists were in the high 400s. plus there is no blood guts.. etc.. clinical medicine gets old after a while and you are not playing subservient to the surgeons when you are a radiologist.. the surgeons come to them..

radiology is not for me.. too academic for me. they know so much anatomy and stuff its amazing.. but if one is inclined to think like that.. i think it is a hidden gem

KingDong said:

and the problem with this is???

rads is a great lifestyle field... much better than anesthesia i would imagine plus they make a lot more money.. I remember surveying salaries a couple of years ago and radiologists were in the high 400s. plus there is no blood guts.. etc.. clinical medicine gets old after a while and you are not playing subservient to the surgeons when you are a radiologist.. the surgeons come to them..

radiology is not for me.. too academic for me. they know so much anatomy and stuff its amazing.. but if one is inclined to think like that.. i think it is a hidden gem

Both fields are great. Radiology has the greater potential for income and lifestyle hands down. I applied to both fields. I know what both make in the areas where i did rotations. As far as hours and lifestyle goes, radiology is pretty hard to beat by any field. Each field has its own downsides. You will be happy practicing both fields. Radiology has a more intellectual appeal and anesthesia is more procedure based. Radiology is well compensated while anesthesia needs help esp. with medicare. There are thugs out there espcially BIG insurance (i.e. Blue Cross) that can dictate their price and get away with it (to both fields). The real question you should ask is, am i going to be happy practicing either of the fields? Shadow both. In my 4th yr, I shadowed radiologists for 2 months and anesthesiologists for 1 month. Hope this helps.