If I am doing a US citizen doing a master's program in Norway, will MD/PhD programs require me to fly for interviews?

• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
Apr 3, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey! I am considering a 2 year MSc and do not want to take more gap years than I have to. If I am doing a US citizen doing a master's program in Norway, will MD/PhD programs require me to come back to the US for interviews? This would be in like 3 years, so I wonder if Zoom would become more acceptable. I suppose this would perhaps put me at a disadvantage. I am not sure if the program would allow a student to take time off to go do interviews.

K9419

5+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2014
Yes, they really don't make Zoom exceptions unfortunately (unless something crazy happens where they have to do it across the board, i.e. the pandemic).

Also, there are issues with foreign transcripts but I don't remember enough to comment, so I'll wait for other folks to comment on that.

Best of luck to you!

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Hey! I am considering a 2 year MSc and do not want to take more gap years than I have to. If I am doing a US citizen doing a master's program in Norway, will MD/PhD programs require me to come back to the US for interviews? This would be in like 3 years, so I wonder if Zoom would become more acceptable. I suppose this would perhaps put me at a disadvantage. I am not sure if the program would allow a student to take time off to go do interviews.
You must assume:
1) you will be required to fly back for interviews
2) schools will schedule each of their own interviews without regard to other possible interviews
3) therefore you may need to take multiple trips and take multiple days over a period anywhere from August thru Feburary
4) As I advise all applicants, applying to medical school is a full time job from May thru August if not September and being on call from August thru March. You should not be out of the country for more than a week or two.
5) Make a decision: apply to medical school or do your MSc in Norway and not apply until you are done

Reactions: 4 users
About the Ads

Banco

5+ Year Member
May 28, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Unless they switch to Zoom permanently, I think you'll have to be flying back and forth. I think you should definitely do the Masters, as it sounds like an cool once in a life time experience. You could deal with the hassle of flying back and forth. Or you could delay 1 more year.

Reactions: 1 user

xffan624

7+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I was stationed in Korea with the U.S. military and applied to medical school. No exceptions were made for me. I flew back twice for a total of 4 interviews. The only time I have heard of an exception outside of the COVID pandemic are for deployed military in Iraq or Afghanistan (Korea is an overseas assignment, not a deployment).

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.