If I apply during June 2016, should I take old or new MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krispykreem

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will have a 3.7 gpa and very few ec's. Mostly just research because I'm applying MD/PhD. I also have some shadowing and teaching experience. That is all.

Since I am focusing myself on research and grades, I am unable to get any volunteering done without jeopardizing my grades.

Anyway. I am applying in 2016 June, so I am wondering what MCAT to take. I could hurry up and take organic chem (the whole sequence) next summer. And then take the MCAT 2014 test in september right after I finish organich chemistry. Then, if my MCAT score is bad, I will retake it in January 2015 (and it will still be the 2014 version).

But what if I don't get in during the 2016 cycle? Will the 2014 mcat still be accepted during the 2017 application cycle if I end up reapplying?

Members don't see this ad.

Glad to see you took seriously all that advice you got about MD/PhD, Streampaw.

Reactions: 1 users
From the AAMC site it seems like the 2014 MCAT will only be valid through the 2016-2017 application cycle (assuming schools accept scores up to 3 years old). If you end up needing to apply in the 2017-2018 cycle the 2014 MCAT will not work but the Jan 2015 one might.

From the AAMC site it seems like the 2014 MCAT will only be valid through the 2016-2017 application cycle (assuming schools accept scores up to 3 years old). If you end up needing to apply in the 2017-2018 cycle the 2014 MCAT will not work but the Jan 2015 one might.
Do you have a link?