What should I focus on before I apply this June?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drwannabe1

Reaction score
So I have 10 months before the application cycle begins. I'm going into my last year of college with a 520 MCAT, 3.5 GPA (subject to improve). I have 50ish hours of shadowing, I have 200 ish hours of research (all from this summer), which I will continue doing. I have 150ish hours of clinical volunteering, at the same place where I did my shadowing (a cardiology clinic). I don't have much in terms of non clinical volunteering, so I definitely need to focus on that. What should I focus on for the next 10 months, aside from improving my GPA and doing non-clinical volunteering? I don't want to have to apply to DO schools--just a personal preference. Will I have to based on my trajectory right now? What can I do starting now that will improve my application the most this June?

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good plan. Add your non-clinical volunteering, and you should be fine. Develop relationships with professors and mentors so you can get good LOR.

Reactions: 1 users
It would be a good idea to shadow a primary care physician.

Reactions: 3 users
So I have 10 months before the application cycle begins. I'm going into my last year of college with a 520 MCAT, 3.5 GPA (subject to improve). I have 50ish hours of shadowing, I have 200 ish hours of research (all from this summer), which I will continue doing. I have 150ish hours of clinical volunteering, at the same place where I did my shadowing (a cardiology clinic). I don't have much in terms of non clinical volunteering, so I definitely need to focus on that. What should I focus on for the next 10 months, aside from improving my GPA and doing non-clinical volunteering? I don't want to have to apply to DO schools--just a personal preference. Will I have to based on my trajectory right now? What can I do starting now that will improve my application the most this June?
You have a good plan. Focus on the non-clinical service, but don't stop clinical volunteering. I'd like that number to be higher when you apply. And journal. so that you will have material to use when writing your primary and secondary applications.

Reactions: 1 users