If I don't match, would it prudent to SOAP or take a year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDancing22

Reaction score
I've posted here before, but the gist is that I am at about a 212/250 ( slightly off but I don't want to give my exact score). I had 6 interviews total. I had some research, good EC, I've been told I'm personable. But the fact is that is a small number of interviews. I can't see myself doing anything else, but I also need to start making money. I know match isn't here yet, but in this situation what are my match odds?
And if I don't match would people recommend just SOAPING? Or taking another year and applying again? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tons of ppl drop out of rads after the first year. You will likely have to go to a crappy program but I think there should be a spot somewhere. No?

Reactions: 1 users
You will definitely match with that step 2. Similar step 1, lower step 2. Got 13 interviews this cycle. Granted not top programs but hey. A radiologist I hopefully will be match day pending lolol

Chances are you will match. There are two aspects to not matching (1) prelim (2) advanced:

If you fail to match prelim - Soap. Use all 45 applications to ensure you get a prelim.

If you fail to match advanced, but have a prelim - Try to Soap into an advanced program. This will be hard but not impossible. Ask your Deans and attendings to make personal phone calls to each program you send a Soap application to. Worst case scenario, you reapply during PYG-1. Several people do this and are very successful. Your prelim program will work with you during this process for interviews and beefing up your application.

You’ll be fine, and there will be several Radiology spots open in SOAP. They may go to NSGY/Ortho people though

Any word on how competitive the DR match was this year, or is it too early to tell?

We will find out around 3pm on Friday, when the advanced data tables are released by the NRMP. It will be a bit difficult to interpret because the advanced data tables do not break it down by 'preferred specialty' so there is double counting in the numbers you will see for IR vs DR and for PGY-1 vs PGY-2 position.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users