If i study a lot in undergrad does that mean I cant handle medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulpsychiatrist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im getting decent grades A's and B's but I find myself studying 4-6 hours a day during the week and 12+ hours on the weekends. Does that mean I cant handle medical school? Many say that I shouldn't have to study this much and if I do it means the subject is too hard. I don't find it to be extremely difficult I just like to be prepared.

Members don't see this ad.

Im getting decent grades A's and B's but I find myself studying 4-6 hours a day during the week and 12+ hours on the weekends. Does that mean I cant handle medical school? Many say that I shouldn't have to study this much and if I do it means the subject is too hard. I don't find it to be extremely difficult I just like to be prepared.
Stay positive! You'll get better at studying over time.

Members don't see this ad :)
When your studying, are you focused on the material or do you have your laptop in front of you with a Facebook tab open? I find that if I study for a solid hour or two with no distractions whatsoever, I retain a lot more information.

Reactions: 1 user
Different people study differently. 2-3 hours of intensely focused studying might be equivalent to 4-6 hours of relaxed, distracted studying. Some people might need to study more to feel confidently and some might need to study only a little. It varies. Eventually, you'll hit a point where you run out of time to do everything and you go into an exam not feeling as confident as you usually feel but then still do just as well when you get the grades back. That's when you realize that you didn't need to study that much to begin with.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe stop by the Academic Counseling office and see if they have some tips for effective studying.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

With a work ethic like that it shouldn't be too hard for you to get what you want. Keep up the good work and remain persistent.

What do you do for fun? Are you engaging in extra curricular activities as well? If you don't have time for outside activities, then you need to get some help to find a balance between studying and "life".

Reactions: 1 user
You'll probably be fine in med school. It's not difficult to pass, but it's considerably more difficult to get A's or high pass IMO