If I take Kaplan MCAT to prepare in mcat, will I be ready in science of DAT.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slaughter421

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I take Kaplan MCAT to prepare for the mcat, will I also be prepared in the science section of DAT good.?
Hey, I am taking the Kaplan MCAT course. Im shadowing both doctors and dentists and am somewhat unsure between the two fields. Now both DAT and MCAT ask Biology, organic chem and gen chem questions. Will the science material(Biology, o-chem, g-chem) covered in MCAT be sufficient or even better for the DAT test?

Im afraid the DAT might ask questions that are not covered in the science material covered in the mcat like animal behavior questions and botany stuff. Please let me know, especially people who took both DAT and MCAT.

Also, is the kaplan DAT course good for the DAT. I might just switch classes and concentrate on DAT, but only have till monday to decide, so tell me please!
Any recommended preps for DAT?(i feel like kaplan DAT isnt as comprehensive as KAPLAN mcat)

Members don't see this ad.

I can't comment on the comparison between DAT and MCAT, i'm sorry, but I will say what I would do in your situation...
Take the class in whatever you feel a little more strongly about, and focus on that test, and take the other one as well as a backup.

If I take Kaplan MCAT to prepare for the mcat, will I also be prepared in the science section of DAT good.?
Hey, I am taking the Kaplan MCAT course. Im shadowing both doctors and dentists and am somewhat unsure between the two fields. Now both DAT and MCAT ask Biology, organic chem and gen chem questions. Will the science material(Biology, o-chem, g-chem) covered in MCAT be sufficient or even better for the DAT test?

Im afraid the DAT might ask questions that are not covered in the science material covered in the mcat like animal behavior questions and botany stuff. Please let me know, especially people who took both DAT and MCAT.

Also, is the kaplan DAT course good for the DAT. I might just switch classes and concentrate on DAT, but only have till monday to decide, so tell me please!
Any recommended preps for DAT?(i feel like kaplan DAT isnt as comprehensive as KAPLAN mcat)

Well my brother took the DAT and I looked through some of his books and the list for science material they have to know. It different enough because organic is much more heavily and specifically tested on the DAT compared to the MCAT and the biology parts are also very different.You're much better off taking the DAT course and doing cliffs AP bio for that secotion and DAT destroyer. That's what he told me he used and he got 23's on the sciences. I'm not sure how good or what percentile that is but knowing him its probably good.
Plus don't take the MCAT because it has a writing section that you would just fail. I mean I have to comment on your first sentence it's terrible. Would I be prepared for the science section good? It's well not good.

-LIS

Thanks for all your help so far! more responses will be appreciated!
And I knew something was wrong with that sentence! Guess you can be my tutor!?

The DAT covers non-human animals: taxonomy, phylogeny, etc. The DAT also covers PLANTS: You will have to know the Nitrogen cycle, photosynthesis, etc.

You will not really need to know these 2 things on the MCAT (technically, the MCAT covers taxonomy, but it's not taught in the Kaplan course.)

On the other hand, the MCAT requires much more Ochem, and much more detail of other subjects, in addition to having PASSAGE based questions.

I'll be honest - I suggest you take the DAT course. With the exception of the non-human stuff, it will teach you the basics of what you would have to know to take the MCAT. You should only decide on the MCAT if you're able to kill the DAT (because if you aren't solid on the DAT, that means you don't have the basic essentials of what you'll need on the MCAT, and it will be nearly impossible to go from there to learn the more complicated things and deal with passages).

If you don't like the thought of that, my advice is to take both the practice DAT (on the DAT website) and the practice MCAT (on www.e-mcat.com). Both are free.